Chapala.com Webboard

Internet Service in Brisas

Zeb

I can state categorically that Brisas and Chapala Haciendas have the lowest speed of all lakeside, topping out at 1.2 Mbps download, and lucky to get it. No implication at all: the speed deteriorated during the rainy season from what was already poor. I work with many people on both sides of the highway. Internet at that speed is like having bad dialup. Today, could barely download a program needed. Forget trying to get large files like printer drivers.

Just like in Chula Vista, different areas of Brisas and Ch. Haciendas have different infrastructure, so some will get better speeds. But I have never seen anything close to 2.6. Which part are you in?

The installation for the hotel is not complete, and they would still have to run wiring and install other gear before you see any improvement, I would imagine, but you may be right.

I have in brisas for 11 years now and my house would be in the upper section of the fracc. I understand that the fracc. Board did send a letter to telmex complaining about the service in Brisas I think my service is a little better but then I have some change in my home to the setup that could contribute to my perceived improvement

Regards!

Yes, as did apparently Chula Vista, but the last response to that kind of letter was "You pay for it, we'll do it". Vista del Lago is now very happy with their speeds, but each person had to cough up big dough... Villa Nova was told it would be about $3,000p per person to do it there.

Sore subject.  I've been in brisas for 8 months now. When I moved in and started a contract with Telmex they gave me a new modem. Needless to say I couldn't get it to handshake with the isp, therefore, no internet.  Reported problem with office personnel in ajijic and had many phone conversations with their customer support (good thing my wife speaks Spanish).  None the less after a month of going back and forth between ajijic office and online support my brother suggested I go above the dipshixx in ajijic and go to the tech/service office near super lake.  A tech came out, checked wiring in house and down the street and told me the new modem telcel was providing were incapable of handshake with Telmex system to enable an internet connection due to the slow speed in brisas.  He suggested I go back to ajijic office to get an older (designed for slower speeds) modem.  Luckily one of the office staff had an old one stuck in his desk as they didn't have any in stock (only new).  Low and behold I hooked the old modem up and had internet.  So after a month of paying for nothing that the ajijic office staff should been well aware of (the slow brisas speed and its interaction with their new faster modems) I was pretty po'd.

as dynamic as internet is, the speeds range significantly between high and low traffic times of day.  Typically in my home using new apple airport time capsule as a router I can get as low as 175kb/s during the day and I've seen speeds as high as 2.5mg/s at like 2am.  The daytime speeds can be slower than the 256k dialup modems I used in the USA 20 years ago!  In-fregging-real!

I would dump Telmex in a heartbeat if I had a lower cost, higher speed alternative. Unfortunately it's mexico so we can hold our breath for Telmex to put a switch closer to our fracc, but we will run out of air long before they do a damn thing.

I asked on another post if anyone knows if telcel provides a stand alone wifi hotspot.  If they do I could go that route for an additional 300 pesos per month to get acceptable internet speed. 

This showed up on the San Miguel yahoo group yesterday. If anyone looks in to this and has any info, please,  please. please let us know. We found the perfect house in Las Brisas yesterday but the dreadful Internet was a deal killer. Likewise if I get anymore info I will post it here.

Thanks Simon

As some people live in places where there is no service from Megacable and Telmex this often leaves people looking for alternative internet solutions.

IT HAS ARRIVED.

UNLIMITED Broadband Internet with NO THROTTLING from 4G/4G LTE Networks. some users lucky enough to get a 4g LTE signal get in excess of 50Mbps download speed. Your actual speeds are determined by the device you get and the signals available in your area as the SIM itself will connect to Telcel, Movistar or AT&T. however, few devices can connect to all three of these networks at 4G/4G LTE speeds.

I have a LIMITED supply of SIMs that you can use in an unlocked smartphone, and soon will have dedicated devices.

UNLIMITED Broadband Internet with NO THROTTLING from 4G/4G LTE Networks. some users lucky enough to get a 4g LTE signal get in excess of 50Mbps download speed. Your actual speeds are determined by the device you get and the signals available in your area as the SIM itself will connect to Telcel, Movistar or AT&T. however, few devices can connect to all three of these networks at 4G/4G LTE speeds.

I have a LIMITED supply of SIMs that you can use in an unlocked smartphone, and soon will have dedicated devices.

Using this SIM makes it looks like you are surfing the net from the USA so you get access to Netflix and Hulu from USA for example. NO VPN REQUIRED!

as an added bonus these SIMs can optionally offer a USA phone nuber and unlimited calling to USA , Canada, and Mexico. (phone compatible device required)

The SIM can also deliver unlimited data in USA, Canada as well as Mexico, however if you want to use it USA or Canada an additional fee is required, and you will need a device compatible with 4g of those countries.

In most installations, no external antenna is required, making insrtallation simple.

No contracts, cancel at any time.

By the way if you are in such a rural area and want a home or office fixed phone number we can help with that as well.

Mark

teknogeekz.com

415 123 2240

Internet has been available via satellite in many countries for many years,  A review of those carriers available in the states can be seen at

DELETED: I Googled and found a link showing ratings on 5 satellite internet providers for the US I posted the link and the software on the Chapala forum would not let me post it. What I did was go to google and entered  Satellite internet. The IP number I am using shows that I am in the US

I know that in years past, Hughes net was available in Mexico at a rather high price and at a slower speed offered in the US. I do not know what is available today. But remember signals meant for the US TV market come from satellites too and with a bigger Dish you can get DISH and US Direct TV.

And from Canada we get Shaw Direct TV from two of its three satellites.  So just maybe more than just Hughes net is available here in Mexico

I just know that I am able to get maybe 8 Mb/s down by 0.7 Mb/s up on  Telmex for $388 pesos per month and internet by the satellite provider, Hughes net was much much more expensive and when I last checked slower.

I was at AT&T by Walmart last Friday asking about their wifi hotspot costs.  He told me there was a person that bought this hotspot package and data contract last week that lives in brisas.

does anyone know whom this may have been and/or what the cell data speeds are in brisas?  I've got a comparison app that indicates it's on average 2.5Mb/s.  However, the sales guy at ATT indicated it should be 15Mb/s.

cost is actually pretty reasonable from them.

anyone have experience or know whom bought that contract?

• 2 weeks later...

We have been in West Ajijic (near Linda Vista and Ocampo) since October and our speed is terrible. We typically get 1.7 Mbps download. We're able to use Netflix and Amazon streaming in HD (usually) but sometimes we get buffering delays and have trouble when fast forwarding or reversing. On other streaming media, it can get much worse, but I have a feeling this has to do with other sites streaming algorithms being less efficient. Usually these difference would be imperceptible but when you're this close to the edge....

I have included a speedtest table of results that shows our speeds going all the way to Ontario in June 2016, just to be objective.

Is there any solution at any price that will give one reasonable speed? I think a wifi hotspot setup with TelCel might be feasible (I have a friend who uses an Iusacell for working in the U.S. from here and likes it) but the data caps would not be easy to swallow. I see many people claiming to get much better speeds up to 8Mbps or more and I would love to just get up to half that if I could. Is it all totally dependent on the area? I know DSL has it's limits regarding distance from the local office, but I don't even know where that office is? Has anyone looked at the correlation of distance to CO vs. speed to verify that is the issue? Or is bad wiring a big factor?  We're making the move to live here permanently and really want to be able to use the Internet without such pain. I typically move large files upstream as well as use Carbonite backup and it gets desperate and dire with this kind of bandwidth.

Any solution in sight at all?

Any comments welcome.

capture_2017_02_07_11_07_43.jpg

If this bit of info helps anyone, maybe those still looking where to rent or buy, internet speeds in Chapala in my area are, according to Speedtest, 10-11 mps, night or day.  This is with the lowest cost fee from Telmex.

We are to receive new modems Thursday in Chapaala Hacienda due to fiber optics being installed.  Doubling my speed here in Chapala Hacienda 1 would still result in less than 1 mb speed.  After around 6pm, there is no use trying to get your email or Facebook.

35 minutes ago, ChicagOntarian said:

Is there any solution at any price that will give one reasonable speed? I think a wifi hotspot setup with TelCel might be feasible (I have a friend who uses an Iusacell for working in the U.S. from here and likes it) but the data caps would not be easy to swallow. I see many people claiming to get much better speeds up to 8Mbps or more and I would love to just get up to half that if I could. Is it all totally dependent on the area? I know DSL has it's limits regarding distance from the local office, but I don't even know where that office is? Has anyone looked at the correlation of distance to CO vs. speed to verify that is the issue? Or is bad wiring a big factor?  We're making the move to live here permanently and really want to be able to use the Internet without such pain. I typically move large files upstream as well as use Carbonite backup and it gets desperate and dire with this kind of bandwidth.

There are other factors besides area that could be causing your speeds to be slow, but if you are in a bad area there is little that you can do to fix that. If you go to the telmex office in Ajijic they can look up your account and tell you how far you are from the server. Les than 1 km should give you good speeds, but the further you are over 1km the slower they will be.

A Telcel hotspot would likely be an option, but will be costly for streaming video.

All modems that TelMex uses are capable of getting decent speeds. The area is the problem, not the modem. The newer modems are capable of getting higher speeds, but will not help much at all if your infrastructure is poor. So even when they hand out these modems on Thursday, unless they have done some VDSL work and improved some of the cabling, the changes will be close to insignificant. Hate to rain on the parade, but TelMex should already have mentioned this. And if they have done some upgrades, then your five-year-old modem will know it and your speed will improve regardless.

I do love and appreciate the responses given here, truly I do, but I guess I'm a bit discouraged to not hear any alternatives. Is Telecable a possible alternative? If I am living in a home where TelMex provides ISP service, can I get it swapped out to Telecable for six months? Or is that too much hassle? We will be living in a different home come May but the service there is two blocks above Perry's Pizza in Las Salvias and the speed there is no better, in fact, it's exactly the same as we have now 1.7 and virtually never faster.  Will they guarantee the bandwidth when/if I order?

Sorry to be so dogged about this, but it is important to us and does affect one's life in today's world. Probably more than we'd like but.....

Thank you all

CG - I still don't understand why they can't install a powerful wi fi hot spot signal, on towers, top of the hotel, etc.? They could still manage subscribers. To use a cell phone analogy, it would be a wi fi connection versus hard wired land line. Even if some people had to buy a rooftop wi fi (yagi) antenna to aim at the wi fi port - this would not be expensive at all. The highest connection speeds here seem be wi fi 4G or 5G. Also, these new modems, are they also Wi Fi receivers, as previous models?

Here are some antennas from ccrane. The one covering ten city blocks would have no problem. Telmex could put in as many repeaters as needed.

http://www.ccrane.com/lp/wifi_antennas_chart.rsp

Archived