Chapala.com Webboard

3000 pesos SIMAPA bill -- too much?

holdrja

We built a new 2 BR 2.5 bath house last year and put in a water meter, and SIMAPA charged us an estimated bill of 3000 pesos for that year.  They wanted to charge us 3000 pesos again this month -- I complained that was too much, and offered them 1500 pesos, which they accepted.  I speak fairly fluent Spanish so language was not an issue, and I was polite but firm.

We never have received a water bill for that meter, possibly due to the non-existent mail service at our place.  We went to SIMAPA last week with all our information, and the clerk spent 20 minutes hunting and pecking on the computer and talking to the manager.  Seems that some months our water usage didn´t even reach the minimum, which makes sense as the house is not always occupied.  When they told me to pay 3000 pesos again, I protested that that was too much, and asked to see a bill for my meter.  Which they either couldn´t, or wouldn´t, produce.  And they accepted the 1500 pesos which I said I would pay -- which really makes me suspicious.

What kind of annual water bills is everyone paying?  Is 3000 pesos typical, or way high?

Another thing which bugged me - we asked for our INAPAM discount, and the clerk ducked her head, covered her mouth, and said ¨Önly for Mexicans* -- but there were several signs posted around the office listing what was needed to get that 50% discount, and we met the necessary conditions.  Nowhere did the signs say that it only applied to Mexicans.  Clear case of anti-foreigner discrimination.

SIMAPA bill, no meter, Ajijic 2 br house, 1,500. 

Have always known that seniors discount for taxes or water does not apply to foreigners.   "clear case of discrimination", not even close and a bit melodramatic in my opinion.   While some areas have allowed it to go through discounted it is not the norm.

How much property is your house on and what is the land devoted to? Do you have gardens, a pool, other things that use a lot of water? Did you ask for the INAPAM discount after they had already lowered the bill by 50% because you thought it was too much?

Just read the meter yourself or take a picture of it to them.  You should be able to do the math and figure out roughly what your bill should be.  I believe that SIMAPA publishes their rates somewhere.

As Harry posted, you can pay a year in advance based on an estimated consumption amount. If I remember correctly, one gets a 15% discount for this early payment if made before the end of February and as traderspoc posted there is another discount program for Mexican senior citizens.

I live in Upper Riberas.  Two bathrooms, two bedrooms.  They installed a water meter on our house in 2016.

My water bill for the year of 2017 was approx. 1000 pesos.  They use the money for water consumption and when you go over that amount prepaid, then you get a bill.  So we received NO water bills until starting in October.  Then the bill was between 100 and 200 pesos each month.  Last year BEFORE the water meter we paid $1500 pesos for water for a year.   

Archived