Chapala.com Webboard

Fireplace Wood

dboisclair

I'm looking for recommendations for the best place to purchase fireplace wood.

We see wood for sale stacked everywhere and we bought a stack for the fireplace in our rented home. The problem is it's Mesquite- a very dense wood that's hard to get burning well. We're able to get it going with the gas burner in the fireplace but as soon as we turn off the gas it goes into a slow smolder instead of a good sized flame.

Any suggestions?

It's not so much that it is mesquite, but probably has not been dried for a long enough period of time. Mesquite will burn hot and for a long time, but it needs to be dried for a year. Finding properly dried firewood is an issue Lakeside. A search on this topic will get you mixed results on whose wood is the best.

Also, of consideration, we have a gas line into our fireplace as well. I started a fire, using wood, and fireplace logs, after a couple hours burning, the fire brick started falling into the fire. The mortar that is used in a gas fireplace that is used to attach the firebrick is not the same as a wood burning fireplace. Because the fire in a wood burning application is much hoter than gas, the mortar starts to fail. Just a word of caution.

Need wood - better call Saul. 766-4275. I haven't bought from him this year. Just tell him what you need, white wood or mesquite, or mixed. White hardwoods are the best - if you see a guava tree being trimmed right back, ask for the branches. Mesquite burns fine once you have a good bed of coals to put it on. Trust me on this - I used to be a Boy Scout Patrol Leader! Figure it out - we are in for a cold, cloudy weekend.

We are building a home in Guanajuato City Centro. The lot we bought was empty for 50+ years and was full of mature trees. In the process of building a hacienda style home, we are able to keep several mature jacarandas, but had to cut down quite a few due to disease and no tree care for decades. We have mountains of firewood that we can use in the wood burning fire places we will have. The best part is, due to the slope of the lot, we have lots of covered bodega space for drying wood!

IMG-20170107-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20170107-WA0007.jpg

I have found that Jacaranda wood does not burn well - no matter how long it is dried. It is too weak and spongy. That is why they are the first to fall down in the winds. The wood foragers do not collect Jacaranda.

Interesting project though - do they stucco the brick or leave it bare? Good quality brick work.

Archived