Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle Registration

EX-PAT2011

I need to know what can be done about this problem.  OK, I bought a car, in July, from a private party.  Today I went online to see how much i would owe when i go in next week.  That's when i noticed a Folio (ticket) had been issued for this plate number in May.  It was for not wearing a seat belt and the cost is $700+ pesos. Do they even care, at the registry, that this was not my car when it was ticketed. I still have all the paperwork AND the registration card is dated July 5, 2016.  So, my question is what to prepare for.  Will they be understanding, or will I need to talk to a supervisor?  I know enough not to be rude or loud or cause a scene.  Should I just prove, through the bill of sale and other records, that it was not my car when it was ticketed. Do they have a copy of the ticket in their computer?  If so, would there be a license photo and name to prove it was not me?  Just looking for some answers to prepare myself.  This makes total sense in Kansas, but as we all have learned, we aren't in  Kansas anymore.   

Sorry but you should have gone with the previous owner to register the car and have the previous owner pay for his ticket and then hand over the dinero to pay for the car.  Unfortunately, you are stuck with the folio to pay.  You have absolutely no chance to talk your way out of it.  The clerk behind the desk will have no sympathy.  You are just lucky that this wasn't a stolen car.  Or maybe it was; you will find out next week.

In my experience, you are going to be stuck with paying this. They won´t care that the vehicle was not owned by you when the unpaid ticket was given. When I bought a used vehicle from a private party, I checked first to make sure it hadn't been reported stolen and that all the facturas, etc. were there, but didn't know to check whether the yearly license fees had been paid (it had Chihuahua plates). Turned out there were 2 years owing. I had to pay this, 1500 pesos, before I could register vehicle in my name.

Perhaps a seat belt fine will be different, since it concerns the driver, rather than the vehicle. But I doubt it. They just want the money, they don't care if it's fair. Good luck.

Al Berca, i beg to differ on the mistake being mine.  The ticket was issued in May, why didn't the clerk realize that when he/she transferred the ownership to my name in JULY.  Surely they pulled up the plate during the transfer process.  In my opinion the clerk is in the wrong for not catching this.  But, I will pay it without a fight.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey RVGRINGO, What's with all the underlining and telling me what I should know and not know.  Your information is INCORRECT.

The clerk, at the DMV, was very cordial and brought my paperwork to the guy in the office.  You know, the go to guy.  He told me that I DID NOT have to pay the ticket if I went over to the old license office on Flavio Romero and showed them this paperwork. They are the ones that handle delinquent tickets.  And because my ticket was not delinquent at the time I registered it, they would be able to take it off the registration and I WOULD NOT have to pay it.  So, here is some advice RVGRINGO, why don't you get your facts straight and know what you are talking about before looking like a babbling :() with all that blue type and underlining.  C'MON MAN GET WITH IT!!!  The clerks are compassionate if you act the same toward them.  They have to deal with mad Mexicans, ignorant of the law gringos and others.  I went in as nice as pie and I got results.   It was quite a positive experience.  You think you know everything, but you MISSED this one.  You can chalk it up as a learning experience for you.    I won't even address the ridiculous response by BONTEKOE.

I have no idea how that post got underlined, or in blue. I tried to eliminate it, but failed.  Sorry about that & not knowing of the second process that you describe.  I will say no more about your uncivilized response.

I have no idea how that post got underlined, or in blue. I tried to eliminate it, but failed.  Sorry about that & not knowing of the second process that you describe.  I will say no more about your uncivilized response.

We just faced a similar situation of having infractions from 2015, four of them, owing on our plates.  We bought our car from the Ford dealer in Guadalajara who registered the vehicle in our name in Oct. 2016. So, stuff does happen people, through no fault of the new buyers.  So can we stop blaming and respond with a solution, like go see the guy in the office and he will tell you what steps to take to avoid paying for someone else's tickets, be it $35 dollars or in our case over $150 dollars.

Archived