Chapala.com Webboard

Driver Licenses in Chapala January 19, 2017

Intercasa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a madhouse! One might think that after a dozen years here, I would know better than to waste 3 hours of my dwindling life on such a travesty.

As should have been  expected, the GDL crew arrived 1 hour late. Then, they took an hour to get set up including a fractious procedure of assigning numbers.

After much inquiry, much of it contradictory, those of us who were applying for a first time license were advised we would need to take both a written and an actual in-car driving test, contrary to the usually accurate information from Spencer.

I can pass a test, but I wasn't about to pass any more time waiting for the process. I had a relatively low number in the 2nd group, those applying for the 1st time,  ut since they were processing renewals, slowly I might add, it would surely be several more hours before they started the testing process.

My estimate of when they would get to me was sometime Sunday or Monday. Those with higher numbers  could possibly die of old age if they were to remain waiting.

By the way, there was nothing in the way of accommodation for the disabled or elderly.

Thank you, NLU, for verifying the wisdom of my decision to pass on this opportunity. I first was excited about being able to renew my license here. Then I played through my memories of previous experiences with such group processes. I decided I did not have the energy for one of these Chaos Theory In Action events. It played out exactly as I had imagined it would.

1 hour ago, NLU said:

What a madhouse! One might think that after a dozen years here, I would know better than to waste 3 hours of my dwindling life on such a travesty.

As should have been  expected, the GDL crew arrived 1 hour late. Then, they took an hour to get set up including a fractious procedure of assigning numbers.

After much inquiry, much of it contradictory, those of us who were applying for a first time license were advised we would need to take both a written and an actual in-car driving test, contrary to the usually accurate information from Spencer.

I can pass a test, but I wasn't about to pass any more time waiting for the process. I had a relatively low number in the 2nd group, those applying for the 1st time,  ut since they were processing renewals, slowly I might add, it would surely be several more hours before they started the testing process.

My estimate of when they would get to me was sometime Sunday or Monday. Those with higher numbers  could possibly die of old age if they were to remain waiting.

By the way, there was nothing in the way of accommodation for the disabled or elderly.

I've been to two of those mobile tests-one in Chapala and the other in Ixtlahuacan. For both you had to do the written and road test for first timers. In both places it took about 6 hours. The guy that runs it is obviouly incompetent. They are very late arriving, it is very disorganized, they ran out of blank tests, the laminator broke down, then they ran out of laminate plastic, etc.  

Just about how I imagined it also. Pay a facilitator/driver and go to Guad early and get it done. Then on to a real nice lunch place with plenty of tequila since you're not driving and then home with your new license. Whatever small sum you have to pay will be forgotten when you show that new baby off.

We paid a facilitator in Ixtlahuacan and Chapala. The Ixtlahuacan event took six hours. Longer than was anticipated. The facilitator brought his little herd cold water, and even pizza. The Chapala event was only a couple of hours. In both cases we were replacing Canadian expired licenses with new Jalisco licenses. No driving or written tests were involved. The lunacy of the whole thing is that the facilitator fee was the equivalent to 12 times the fine for driving on an expired licence, and Ms Chillin does not drive, she just want it for ID.

We spent a long time watching the driving test in Ixtlahuacan. It was hilarious and surreal. The tester lost interest after about one hour. The next tests he was busy on his cell, eating ice creams, not even watching people making horrible parking errors. A lot of the Mexican people were nervous. They seem to not like the idea of tests, especially involving government, especially if they are weak in reading and writing. There was definitely some mordida going on here, passing in passed test results that never happened. Otherwise we would have been there a week.

It appears that the 6 hour one day event is a thing of the past.

This event should have been labeled a three day event (see below).

First day: Pay for Drivers License (Chapala).

Second day:  Bring in our paperwork (Chapala).

Third Day:  Drivers License and testing for new drivers (Ajijic).

Hopefully the following will help others who apply at future Driver License events.

Of course this event differed from the last event, so the time/days required to complete this, may change as well.  For us it meant 5 hours on Tuesday and another 6 hours on Thursday.  It was not unusual for Thursday to be a 9 hour commitment.  I would have gone to Guadalajara as a day trip would have been easy compared to this. I would recommend Guad to others.

I am highlighting some important information, details of which, were somehow left out of the event poster:

1) Make sure all copies are in black and white.  NO COLOR COPIES ALLOWED.

2) Prior to attending/applying, you must go to the following address (below), and let them know you are there to pay for your drivers license.  This is the same place where you pay for your car registration.  I would recommend that you pay in advance at the following location, hours of which are 8:30 - 2:00.  I would go the week prior to take care of this in advance of going to file your paperwork in Chapala. 

Location to pay:

GOBIERNO DE JALISCO

SECRETARIA DE FINANZAS

RECAUDADORA  016

OFICINA DE RECAUDACION FISCAL NO. 026

Which is located: 306 Calle Degollado, in Chapala.  https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Calle+Degollado+306,+Chapala+Centro,+45900+Chapala,+Jal./@20.2902587,-103.1875416,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x842f40badabef99f:0x5abfd6ae1529f046!8m2!3d20.2904725!4d-103.1867021

You will receive a receipt, which you will be required to have a black and white copy (there is a copier at the place you pay).

Then you may go to on the given date to:

EL GOBIERNO MUNICIPAL DE CHAPEL. They open at 8:30 and there will be a line.  As someone stated here, requests for 150 licenses will be permitted. If you have not paid yet, there is no sense in going to

EL GOBIERNO MUNICIPAL DE CHAPALA.

3) Make sure the utility bill is in your name. Sometimes one spouse is on the bill, but the other is not.  That may make for a problem.

4) If you have paid for this license and you were not one of the 150, you may save that receipt and apply next time.  We met a woman whom was not able to be one of those 150 last time, and simply was there with her paperwork and receipt for this session.  She said that she had attended a year ago, but did not get her license then, due to the 150 limit. 

The second day, in which you return for your drivers license:

1) Does require a test (written) as well as a drivers test!  Here are the questions/answers to study for that test: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lees-place/DriversTest/DriversLicenseTest-English.pdf

2) DO NOT ARRIVE EARLY.  You heard me right. Do not bother showing up early on this second day, as people are not taken in the order to which they arrive on this line.  Showing up early is most likely a waste of time, since the gov't workers did not show/set up camera equipment till an hour late. You could probably show up 30 mins late and not be affected in the least. Once they allow people in the gate, they will then hand out the same paper work which they took to those who went to Chapala.  One person will hand out paperwork to those waiting for a new license.  Another person will hand out paperwork to those waiting for renewal of license.  You then stand on line to hand for that paperwork to be reviewed (again) and approved/stamped.

For new licenses:  English speaking participants will take a group test and will have ten questions of the test read to them in english.  Then they will all stand on another line to hand in the test.  Then they will wait their turn to take a drivers test (DO BRING YOUR OWN CAR). Cars/participants are then taken to the lower Floresta area, near the horses, for testing.  After taking that test they will return to wait on the next line to have their photo taken/receive their license. 

PS Day Three: Some (New License) participants were there until 5:00 PM.  That equals a 7-8 hour stretch.  Bring food/snacks/water and a book.  We actually went home after entry (had one of those high 100+ numbers), to walk and feed our dogs, and then made it back without any loss to this effort.  

All I can say is "Am I ever glad we live in PV." What they put you people through up there sounds like we live on a different planet here. Everything located in one building here,  from walking in at 10:00 to walking out with a license took slightly more than 1 hour. Senior discount with just asking politely if it was available and being called to the head of one line since I fit the geezer profile. Life is good at the beach.  No stress and we just today ran into a couple who lived quite close to us in Ajijic and they said they have moved here and put their big house on the corner up for sale right after Christmas. They were marveling at the 15 minute drive to Costco without all the Gdl. traffic. Nice to see familiar faces.

I dont think I told anybody there would be no tests, I usually tell people that all new licenses require written and eye test and generally a driving test although at times they waive it for people with a valid foreign license.  Sorry for any confusion.

5 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

I dont think I told anybody there would be no tests, I usually tell people that all new licenses require written and eye test and generally a driving test although at times they waive it for people with a valid foreign license.  Sorry for any confusion.

Correct.. Spencer does not say "No Drivers Test".... 

On 1/13/2017 at 10:52 AM, CHILLIN said:

No driver's test if you can show your old U.S./Canadian license - expired or not.

Where did you hear that Chillin?

We can help with replacement as we can present certification document in Guadalajara to save a trip although at the main office it can be done in one trip although it is really a mess with the light rail construction and closures. 

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Actual experience. Using an advocate.

Definition of advocate. "Someone who writes or speaks in support of another."

Do you mean you payed someone to get a license for you...? 

I spoke to a facilitator regarding getting a Mexican license, they handle the paperwork and will accompany me to Guad, but I would have to do the written test, eye test and driving test myself...

• 2 weeks later...

On 20/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, eagles100 said:

Does anyone have a link to the laws for getting a Jalisco driver's licence?

Hello Eagles100, here's the link you requested, the articles you're looking for are 66 though 82 http://info.jalisco.gob.mx/sites/default/files/leyes/Reglamento_Ley_Servicios_Vialidad_Transito_Jalisco_0.pdf if you need any of it translated I'd be glad to be of service.

Archived