Chapala.com Webboard

Driver Licenses in Chapala January 19, 2017

Intercasa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Fred C. Dobbs said:

Thank you, Spencer, for the information.

I was fortunate to learn of the last renewal event near Chapala a few months ago. It was very easy to go through the process.

Don't use a facilitator/concierge. Do it yourself. Learn how to do things down here yourself. We're not six-years-old anymore.

Suck it up, learn some practical Spanish, keep your eyes and ears open, and actually live doing the day-to-day functions that are required to exist here.

And if you can't handle this kind of "test" of your ability to collect a few photocopies and wait your turn, maybe you shouldn't be driving a two-ton hunk of steel filled with explosive gasoline in the first place.

Now get off my lawn!

But, but.....I like using a facilitator....and I'm a fluent Spanish speaker....and I know how to use a copy machine....can I still drive my two ton hunk of steel?

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

With the proper waiver....... Maybe.

But the Concierge can get you that:P. Sometimes it is best to have someone(s) in your corner in case something really sticky comes up, sometimes it pays to keep them around, even if you can do it yourself, to justify keeping their name on your speed dial.

In a very famous libel trial, Henry Ford was on the witness stand, being harassed by a lawyer. "Mr. Ford my client said you were an ignorant man, perhaps you are ignorant, do you know the name of Capital of Pakistan?" The questions went on like this, and Henry Ford was visibly frustrated. He said "You know I have a switchboard on my desk, when I need to know the answer to a question, I push the right button, and get a good, professional answer within seconds."

And it connected to a Mexican guy in Chapala who worked for almost free and had all the answers and didnt need to feed a family, was something like the old man on the hill in the Twilight Zone episode. 

You are a good man Spencer, and there is no denying you are a tremendous asset to our community. But you must admit Henry Ford would pay a lot more for your assistance than the bored tight wads in this burg!

I had to look your Twilight Zone reference. Interesting. The brain with all the answers was actually a supercomputer. In an interesting twist, many in the scientific community now believe that if aliens were among us, or in space, they would be machines. That we have to stop looking for life on life supporting climates. In the evolution of artificial intelligence that we will all become machines.

https://www.cnet.com/news/neil-degrasse-tyson-talks-aliens-with-seti-astronomer/

Payment of fees from recaudadora office.

Do I just go into the office and ask to pay for a new drivers license and they will give me some kind of proof of payment?

4 hours ago, Zeb said:

Where is City Hall General Secretary´s office?  Why do documents have to be checked on the 17th if you have everything on Spencer's list? 

Where will the mobile unit be located and at what time?

Why do documents have to be checked-because that is how they do it.

I suppose I did not ask the question correctly about why documents are checked, so I will ask it a different way.  Once they look at your documents, do they stamp them, give you another document stating they have been checked or just look at you and say they are fine and you go on your way.

It seems if they do nothing other that just look and say okay, then when you go to get the license, they really won't know whether they have been "checked."

Zeb - they want to streamline things by pre checking the paperwork. I am always surprised to find that many Mexicans do not read or write Spanish very well. They also do not want the mobile offices handling cash. They have armed guards and watchful eyes at the recaudadora office.

Twice I have seen this "just look at you and say they are fine and you go on your way ". They really didn't know but you don't want to argue with them. They want to make sure you have the right paperwork so that you won't be refused later.

For those of you who have a different name on your phone/electric bill than is on your passport, the "paper-checkers" at City Hall said there might be a problem. I checked my Car Folio, Chapala Impuesto and Frac Fees receipts, all paid this month. They all have my full name on them as is on my passport.

FYI: Comprobante de domicilio is not "Utility Bill," but "Voucher of Residence."

So, any of them should prove sufficient.

Archived