Chapala.com Webboard

Driver Licenses in Chapala January 19, 2017

Intercasa

Remember that for foreigners instead of your IFE you will need to provide passport and immigration document, instructions say to go to City Hall General Secretary´s office on 2nd floor on the 17 to have all your documents checked. 

Chapala Jan 19 driver licenses.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a special day with a special mobile unit (they have these local days randomly and usually with little notice), foreigners will need:

1) Passport and copy

2) Immigration card and copy

3) Recent utility bill and copy

4) Know blood type

5) CURP printout

6) Payment of fees from recaudadora office, Chofer license new $630 pesos, renewal $558 , Regular auto license renewal $558  pesos, renewal $469 pesos. 

No driver's test if you can show your old U.S./Canadian license - expired or not. No written test, I don't know why. CURP printout should be a full size one, printed from the internet. Usually courtesy for any seniors who cannot stand long, they sit you near the signup, and you take a "virtual" place in the line. They only have so many licenses to give, but will make a full day of it if they have to.

I didn't know they did renewals, that explains why there were so many older Mexican locals there. The look of glee on a Mexican teenager's face when they get their first license - irreplaceable!

39 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

This is a special day with a special mobile unit (they have these local days randomly and usually with little notice), foreigners will need:

1) Passport and copy

4) Know blood type

5) CURP printout

6) Payment of fees from recaudadora office, Chofer license new $630 pesos, renewal $558 , Regular auto license renewal $558  pesos, renewal $469 pesos. 

Are these documents ALL needed for renewal of chofer license?

Forgot to mention it takes 2 trips. First to present docs and then they tell you to return in a few days as they need to send everything to Gdl and receive permission to issue new license. We are in PV. Maybe if you went to Gdl you could do it in one trip but from prior experience I wouldn't count on it

16 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Forgot to mention it takes 2 trips. First to present docs and then they tell you to return in a few days as they need to send everything to Gdl and receive permission to issue new license. We are in PV. Maybe if you went to Gdl you could do it in one trip but from prior experience I wouldn't count on it

Not here. This a special team of about six people from Guadalajara. Once the paperwork is right, photos are taken, printed, then names called out for those waiting, as the new licenses are produced. Make sure your name is right before they print the license

If you are uncomfortable with the process, there are two local concierges who handle all the paperwork. I am reluctant to mention their contacts because I am not clear if Spencer's office handles this sort of thing. Spencer has very kindly sent this notice to us - the concierges did not.

8 hours ago, Intercasa said:

1) Passport and copy

4) Know blood type

5) CURP printout

What documents are required for renewal of chofer license?

9 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

No driver's test if you can show your old U.S./Canadian license - expired or not. No written test, I don't know why. CURP printout should be a full size one, printed from the internet. Usually courtesy for any seniors who cannot stand long, they sit you near the signup, and you take a "virtual" place in the line. They only have so many licenses to give, but will make a full day of it if they have to.

I didn't know they did renewals, that explains why there were so many older Mexican locals there. The look of glee on a Mexican teenager's face when they get their first license - irreplaceable!

Is this true? I could walk in there, with the above documentation, proof of payment, and walk out with a Mexican license with no test if I show my current Quebec (in french) license? What is the difference between chofer and regular?

Pete

The two of us went to the last license event in Chapala on December 14th. It was held on the parking lot across from the fish restaurants. We went through a facilitator and it proved painless.

They asked for no old license, all the documents above and we walked out with brand new chofer's licenses, no tests any sort whatsoever.

They were holding driving tests in the car park for new drivers.

A facilitator can help. He takes care of the document validation, the payment for the license and takes you there with a prearranged appointment so there is little waiting time.

19 hours ago, Intercasa said:

1) Passport and copy

4) Know blood type

5) CURP printout

Fee for lost license same as for renewal?

Any credit for INAPAN card?

Thanks, Spencer!

10 hours ago, peteben said:

Is this true? I could walk in there, with the above documentation, proof of payment, and walk out with a Mexican license with no test if I show my current Quebec (in french) license? What is the difference between chofer and regular?

Pete

We used a facilitator as well on two occasions. He also helped to produce a "domocil" residency certificate from the Secretaria (50 pesos). As far as I know, chofer means you can drive a pickup truck with half the community riding in the back, regular you cannot. Seriously, I think that is it, chofer means you can drive a pickup truck and carry a larger number of passengers.

12 hours ago, peteben said:

Pete

I have helped people at two of these mobile ones. Yes, yes. A regular license is for a car but a pickup requires a chofers license.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Fee for lost license same as for renewal?

Any credit for INAPAN card?

Thanks, Spencer!

Just my experience: Cost same as duplicate license, I don't have the card but politely asked for the discount and it was given. Good for 4 years.

Fee for lost license same but you pay a 40 pesos recertification fee to search their system for your old license. 

You can do this on your own, if not or you cant make it that day my office can help with Guad renewals.

Archived