Chapala.com Webboard

Cell phone cell to guad from landline info...

Lexy

Remember that most cel phones start with 33. That is the two digit area code for Guadalajara. And that is long distance for those of us phoning from a lakeside phone.  If the call is made from the same area code, one dials 044.  Our area code is not 33. Rather it is for most of us 376. Therefore it is a long distance call.

When long distance one dials 045 and then the cell phone #

Humm!!

Let's try this:

When calling a cell starting with 333, you dial 045 before

When calling a cell starting with 331, you dial 044 before.

I don't think they are long distance, but if they are they are free on my Telmex bill.

The 376 is not a cell number but a  landline and there's no 045 or 044 before just 01

The 331 has no bearing on whether 044 or 045 is to be used. In fact, most TelCel numbers lakeside start with 331, and every one of them in my contacts list requires a 045 to start.

The 33 numbers are all long distance, as they are routed through Guadalajara when using TelCel. AT&T, I don't have any experience with, and there is only one other cellular company that operates out here that is not long distance, Movistar... but just try to get a number on that system.

As of two years ago, landline calls (on TelMex) to 333 and 331 cell phones were converted from very expensive to free with any plan. 376 and 387 are the two area codes used lakeside. 387 starts somewhere after the Joco sign going west; 376 covers everything going east.

Exactly CompputerGuy, the area code in Guadalajara used to be 331-xxx-xxxx but then when they ran out of numbers they started with 332 and then when these numbers ran out they went to 333-123-4567. So in Guadalajara rather than having quite a few area codes for Guadalajara they decided to say that the area code for Guadalajara is 33.followed by not 7 number but 8

Now years ago there was a cell phone company that sold cell phones with our lakeside area code. But no more. Now most all of our cell phones bought locally for a local address lakeside are given a cell phone with a Guadalajara area code. Now if you live in Guadalajara and phone someone lakeside using Telmex who has a cell phone starting with 33 has the same area code so they dial 044 not 045

The same thing happened in Mexico City and the suburbs when they got too big.

ComputerGuy The area code for Guadalajara is 33 be it a landline or cell.  At one time it was apparently 331-###-####  but when they got up to 331-999-9999 they needed a new area code.  They started with 332- and so on. Then when they expanded even more they started with 333.   To Make it simple they decided to shorten the area code to 33 and make the local number 8 instead of 7 numbers

The area code in Ajijic and Chapala is 376.  And in the olden days cell phone companies sold cell phones that had the same area code. But that stopped  maybe 10 years ago and they began doing what Telcel was doing and expanded the coverage for cell phones with an area code of 33 to cover a geographical area much  larger than that of your Telmex landline

So in Ajijic/Chapala your Telmex area code is 376 and in Joco it's 387.  But you cell phone area code is no longer 376 or 387 but are included in an expanded Guadalajara area code of 33,

So when you are in say Ajijic and using your landline you have to use the long distance subcode of 045 before dialing a Guad cell phone number. But should you be in Guadalajara where your landline area code is 33, then to phone a cell phone with the same area code, you dial 044

And Catrina, that is correct. You must dial 01 before making a long distance call to another Telmex phone you know 01-33-XXXX-XXXX. The problem is if some one gives us a 33 1234-5678 number, unless they tell us, we don't know whether its another land line where we dial 01-33 or a cell phone which from our land line, where we must start with  045-33

This is all very interesting. Heretofore, I thought I was among the easily confused, Now that I know the subject is complicated, I feel better. I look forward to memorizing all this, so I can astound newcomers. If I talk fast, it will sound like a comedy routine.

Archived