Chapala.com Webboard

Law says prices must be posted in grocery stores

Catrina Doll

Went to El Torito to buy paper towels. Checked number of towels on rolls and then prices. Chose one that had a price of $25.30 underneath. Got to register and it rang up at $37.90 each. I told cashier her price was wrong; she went to aisle to check, pulled the sticker off the shelf under the product and showed me in "fine print" the price was for a different product. I asked where THAT product was - I wanted to buy it, but she said they did not have any. Isn't there a law that says all products in stores are to be marked with correct prices?

Also, wanted to buy fireplace logs. They had two kinds: Duraflame and Pine Mountain - again, no posted price. Took one of each to register to inquire price -one was $69 and the other $95. Obviously, I chose the $69 one since I wanted to buy several. What a nuisance it is to shop there when you never know the price until you get to the register.

You can file a complaint with PROFECO they will visit, verify and fine them, they should list correct price but many locally get away with it as Chapala is too far to drive for them to make inspections regularly. 

23 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

This is Mexico, not Kansas. You must have missed that in your research before you came here. That is just one of the millions of differences here; some are even good. :D

Catrina Doll states that the law says prices must be posted in grocery stores.  By your comment "This is Mexico, not Kansas" are you disagreeing with this statement of hers.  Whether in Kansas or Mexico it is not an unreasonable expectation that the law be followed if, in fact, it is a law.  Catrina Doll, do you know for sure the law states that grocery stores post their prices? Or, Jim Bowie, do you know for a fact that there is no such law and therefore Catrina Doll is unreasonable in her expectation that grocery stores do so?

3 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

Catrina Doll states that the law says prices must be posted in grocery stores.  By you comment "This is Mexico, not Kansas" are you disagreeing with this statement of hers.  Whether in Kansas or Mexico it is not an unreasonable expectation that the law be followed if, in fact, it is a law.  Catrina Doll, do you know for sure the law states that grocery stores post their prices? Or, Jim Bowie, do you know for a fact that there is no such law and therefore Catrina Doll is unreasonable in her expectation that grocery stores do so?

See Spencer above. That should answer your question.

1 hour ago, Jim Bowie said:

See Spencer above. That should answer your question.

Yes, I saw Spencer's post.  He appears to agree with Catrina Doll that businesses legally should post correct prices or face a fine.  What's your point?  That because this is Mexico we should expect/know and accept that they don't?  Does expecting that they should follow the law and being disappointed when they don't make us naive, assuming that is what you mean by your statement "not in Kansas anymore"?  I prefer to work on the assumption that Mexicans and Mexican businesses are honest with their customers.  I appreciate Catrina Doll's heads up as to incorrect and deceptive pricing at El Torito so I will pay more attention the next time I shop there, which is seldom.

10 minutes ago, bdlngton said:

Yes, I saw Spencer's post.  He appears to agree with Catrina Doll that businesses legally should post correct prices or face a fine.  What's your point?  That because this is Mexico we should expect/know and accept that they don't?  Does expecting that they should follow the law and being disappointed when they don't make us naive, assuming that is what you mean by your statement "not in Kansas anymore"?  I prefer to work on the assumption that Mexicans and Mexican visits are honest with their customers.  I appreciate Catrina Doll's heads up as to incorrect and deceptive pricing at El Torito so I will pay more attention the next time I shop there, which is seldom.

My point is: THIS IS MEXICO. I have been here since 1999, married to a Mexican Lady, with LOTS of Family, and we have traveled Mexico extensively, not just the "tourist areas". Things change in Mexico, but nothing ever changes. When you have been here as long as I have and seen and heard as much as I have, you will understand. You can prefer all you want, but if you one day really decide to live in the real Mexico, you will then understand. Suerte !

5 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

My point is: THIS IS MEXICO. I have been here since 1999, married to a Mexican Lady, with LOTS of Family, and we have traveled Mexico extensively, not just the "tourist areas". Things change in Mexico, but nothing ever changes. When you have been here as long as I have and seen and heard as much as I have, you will understand. You can prefer all you want, but if you one day really decide to live in the real Mexico, you will then understand. Suerte !

Right on JB.

It's kind of like when Nancy Pelosi said "we have to pass it to see what's in it" about Obamacare. After 15 years in Mexico I look forward to getting home to look at my receipt to see what I really paid. I must be sick, getting old or just loco but it's kind of fun.

18 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

When you have been here as long as I have and seen and heard as much as I have, you will understand. You can prefer all you want, but if you one day really decide to live in the real Mexico, you will then understand. Suerte !

Your intimation that only you have been here long enough to know what's going on in the "real Mexico", outside of "tourist areas", is unreasonable.

14 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Your intimation that only you have been here long enough to know what's going on in the "real Mexico", outside of "tourist areas", is unreasonable.

That is not what I said. Surely you can read my words. or not? They need no interpretation, they say exactly what I meant.

28 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I agree, Computer Guy.  J B seems to assume that the rest of us don't have the experience or knowledge that he does without knowing any more about our backgrounds in regards to Mexico and its people.   While it is true that there are many things in Mexico that are not as we might anticipate or would like, I also would not want to be so cynical as to always expect that Mexicans will not follow laws and are always out to cheat me.  I prefer to do be vigilant and am open to accepting other people's negative experiences as warnings.  I don't understand why some people assume or want the rest of us to assume that being cheated goes with the territory.  

27 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

That is not what I said. Surely you can read my words. or not? They need no interpretation, they say exactly what I meant.

I quoted your words. You are denying what you stated. I first arrived in 1996, big fella. I've seen and heard more than you have now. And your bald-faced implication is that bdlngton can't possibly undertand this country the way that you do. You can rearrange your republican-like comments any way you like, but you aren't fooling any of us.

Woo! You people are getting a little argumentative,,,n'est pas? I thought this was the POLITE board! GEEZ, Louise! Do we need a THIRD board so that we can relegate you to the category of the truly disgruntled??? IMO the 2 boards that I post on are getting WAY beyond polite, not to mention that they are NOT disseminating useful info to those of us who would like a clue or 2 as to how things work here. I've been here 11 years and am still learning...but not from youse guys who are posting diatribes.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, ajijicbound said:

They have a price scanner or two in the store. Make them your friends.

Agree. ALSO...... good practice is to always check that the item on the shelf and the ticket below match. Stuff gets moved around..... sometimes people put in wrong place, etc. Be pro-active..... keeps your blood pressure down and avoids unpleasant surprises at the cash register!

I can't imagine how the employees could possibly get near the shelves to check and correct pricing when we shoppers can't get near with all the vendors clogging the aisles.

I guess you could go to PROFEO to complain and have a settlement...and good luck with that one... Just because there is a law does not mean it is enforced or that it is worth the trouble to have the stores follow the law.. In that case there was a price  and it just happened that the sticker on your item had fallen off.. and then what???  If the store had no stickers then maybe you would have a case but in this instance do not buy the item and forget it.

I still can't get over the OP, a frugal shopper, conscious of her shopping rights, would even consider paying 95 pesos for a firelog, which at Costco sells for about 25 pesos each, for a box of six. You walk into Superlake or El Torito you know you are going to get screwed over on pricing. If you want to experience precision, drive into Guadalajara and visit a Mega or Fresko store. I believe they even stock their shelves at night - gasp!

That's all fine and good but some folks don't have cars.

And some folks who do also understand what it costs to drive one.  Counting everything including purchase depreciation, fuel, repairs, washing etc. you are talking at least 30 cents U.S. per mile.  That's a good $25 to $30 per round trip plus your time.

What about Soriana?  Don't they sell these?

Same old, same old:  things here are not going to change because YOU want them to. So, you have a choice: become angry, ruin your state of mind or go with how things are done here and live in a peaceful state of mind.  Torito is not going to spend more money paying its employees to keep its posted prices up-to-the-minute current, Proseco is not going to come to Chapala.   So, for heaven´s sake, put the darn item under the scanner and save yourself an early heart attack!  The country is NOT going to change to suit your American sensibilities.  You live in a country with different priorities, get used to it.  And save the rest of us this useless complaining.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

What about Soriana?  Don't they sell these?

Nope - nor 7-11. These are the sawdust "logs" soaked in wax/paraffin. The Mexican solution would be to go down to the Madera Wood Shop, buy a bag of leftover sawdust, melt some paraffin, let it soak overnight in a bucket (s). then in the morning cut chunks off as needed. They are a good way to start a fire - but they became too expensive. Same with premium paper towels.

There are still "personal shoppers" who will pickup from Costco, or anywhere you want, for a price.

54 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Same old, same old:  things here are not going to change because YOU want them to. So, you have a choice: become angry, ruin your state of mind or go with how things are done here and live in a peaceful state of mind.  Torito is not going to spend more money paying its employees to keep its posted prices up-to-the-minute current, Proseco is not going to come to Chapala.   So, for heaven´s sake, put the darn item under the scanner and save yourself an early heart attack!  The country is NOT going to change to suit your American sensibilities.  You live in a country with different priorities, get used to it.  And save the rest of us this useless haranguing.

I agree completely Bdmowers.

My favorite saying is " Attitude is Everything". The best way to enjoy living here is to not expect Mexico to be like NOB. Go with the flow and laugh. You'll live longer.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, Jim Bowie said:

This is Mexico, not Kansas. You must have missed that in your research before you came here. That is just one of the millions of differences here; some are even good. :D

Agree. Things are not like NOB, and not expecting that will just lead to less stress and more tranquility. Well said, Bowie, mowers, and Joyfull.

Archived