Chapala.com Webboard

robbed in Puerta Arroyo

On 2017-01-10 at 11:23 PM, gimpychimp said:

What does the guard have to say?

On 2017-01-11 at 10:02 AM, Guiness said:

So many times it is the "security guy" who is at the helm.  They get to know you - watch you leave smiling, then call in the bad guys and voila - robbed.  So sorry for your loss.  

Get a couple of big dogs and keep them in your yard while we go out people!  There are many lovely dogs at The Ranch that would be happy to work for you for food & a little love!!!

Dogs are a good deterrent 

I don't know how the police go about investigating, but unless these perps are already known to them and it's just a matter of finding them, the first thing I'd be doing is checking the phone records of the so-called security guard for the day and time just after the OP left their home.

wrong mudgirl The Ministerio Publico investigate not the police and if it is reported soon enough after the crime the MP dust the place for prints..IIt all depends if it is important to them or not. I once helped people who had been robbed of a lot of jewelry and the place was thoroughly dusty with that black powder for prints .. of course it has to be reported to the right people to start with. Another time I helped a couple that had been robbed at gunpoint and the MP had lots of pictures for them to look at .., they do think about these things when they do want to investigate. Of course with the reform people do not go to jail unless it is a violent crime so if they get these guys and nail them on this crime all they will do is fine them ..hardly worth the effort of doing anything I would guess.

For sliding glass doors a crowbar can be used to pry open a single locked door.   Opening as in creating a separation between the two panes of glass.  The rod only prevents sliding and doesn't work in this scenario.  I have been meaning to talk to a locksmith to see about putting on a top lock and a bottom lock - yes 3 locks in all but prevents the prying action.   Then the only way to enter is by breaking the glass - something that I haven't seen as yet and does make a lot of noise.

33 minutes ago, el bartman said:

For sliding glass doors a crowbar can be used to pry open a single locked door.   Opening as in creating a separation between the two panes of glass.  The rod only prevents sliding and doesn't work in this scenario.  I have been meaning to talk to a locksmith to see about putting on a top lock and a bottom lock - yes 3 locks in all but prevents the prying action.   Then the only way to enter is by breaking the glass - something that I haven't seen as yet and does make a lot of noise.

We have the wall to wall double sliders that you can't put the crowbar in. So my hubby is going to drill holes in track & put metal pins in the track when we leave so as not to be opened from outside. We have wooden sticks in all the other windows and slider. My husband is already getting the space they jumped over blocked with iron decor. And we will buy a safe and bolt it to the floor. Should do the trick!

6 hours ago, bmh said:

wrong mudgirl The Ministerio Publico investigate not the police and if it is reported soon enough after the crime the MP dust the place for prints..IIt all depends if it is important to them or not. I once helped people who had been robbed of a lot of jewelry and the place was thoroughly dusty with that black powder for prints .. of course it has to be reported to the right people to start with. Another time I helped a couple that had been robbed at gunpoint and the MP had lots of pictures for them to look at .., they do think about these things when they do want to investigate. Of course with the reform people do not go to jail unless it is a violent crime so if they get these guys and nail them on this crime all they will do is fine them ..hardly worth the effort of doing anything I would guess.

Now I heard when I file the report at police station (that the police gave me) they will come out and investigate.  But I have pictures. I think even better. Get them out there and watch them scramble. I will post them wherever I can. I can accuse  them, I have them on camera.

You know sometimes I am a little afraid of all this iron grillwork - it could potentially trap you inside in case of a fire, explosion or earthquake. I was thinking that one could go to a wood store, or plastics store and make up a fake grill, which only could be discovered from inside, or if the window is broken. Use a glue gun to approximate the look of welds, then paint glossy colour as other metal gates. Cheap, effective, and easy to escape if you have to bust a window to get out.

Upgrade your security system for glass breakage, alarm activated by your smart phone . It will send a live video of what is going on - could be a false alarm. If its the real thing, say 'smile for the camera boys!' through the smartphone enabled intercoms, and then trip the alarm. Videos can be stored on a computer data "cloud', so it doesn't matter if they disable your cameras. Anyways, these are all good plans!

2 hours ago, thegogulskis said:

Now I heard when I file the report at police station (that the police gave me) they will come out and investigate.  But I have pictures. I think even better. Get them out there and watch them scramble. I will post them wherever I can. I can accuse  them, I have them on camera.

Sorry for your losses and what you are going through thegogulskis. The sad part of this story is that even if you will be able to identify them nothing will happen to them after that. Even though, it is a good idea to make a report to The Ministerio Publico . This is not a first case around here...so we know. Until there will be a functioning judicial system in this country  there will be more cases as yours done by the same people.  If this is their  regular activity they are known among Mexicans and sometimes seen as heroes. They have enough money to bribe ...even your favorite policemen. They know the system which is not at all like the one up north. I talk to a Mexican girl who told me that her father loves to buy "stuff" from thieves. The best thing one can do is to protect the house that it will not happen again and there are plenty of good ideas in the previous posts. I hope that all new people to this area realise that when you move to Mexico, you are on your own, There is nobody and nothing in place to protect you. There are laws in place but they are not followed and braking them does not seem to be an offence if there is money in play. So please act accordingly. The gated communities might be deterrent for some lowlifes but will not protect you against the more sophisticated criminals and there are some cases (I know of) that the guards were involved. Community gates are  false feeling  of security. It is not difficult to make a case for entering.

Anyway , I am glad that they did not hurt your dogs.

14 hours ago, Islander said:

Sorry for your losses and what you are going through thegogulskis.

Wow this is kind of harsh and the situation you describe here is far overstated. Especially from someone who is here only part time of the year, maybe some of the details of life here have been overlooked? May I remind the poster that in British Columbia, R.C.M.P. or Vancouver Police will not attend a property crime unless the loss is greater than $15,000, and that lawyers advise that personal litigation, including small claims, is not worth it unless the stakes are greater than $100,000 and if judgements could be secured by real estate liens. Chapala/Ajijic does not have legions of meth heads, heroin addicts, and opoid addicts running around, petty thieving break ins, desperate for their next fix. They recently occupied a large building in Victoria, B.C. They get caught, go through a very expensive legal conviction and incarceration process, then get released, fall back into the old ways, then back into the system again. Is this really the "compassion" that Canadians are so famous for? If this is what the "rule of law" looks like, and acts like, then we prefer Mexico. Here, if you are stupid enough to get addicted to heroin, then you are very likely to die young (but in very little pain). The "rule of law" here requires you to look after yourself, up to and including owning a personal firearm, and living in a community which watches out for each other and treats strangers, including police and government, with suspicion. If the security team your frac. hired does not feel they are part of the community - then replace them. I know for a fact that the team at Los Sabinos (mentioned in this thread) is very good, and has been absorbed as a part of that community. In Vancouver, house alarms and car alarms are totally ignored, other than becoming a noisy irritation. The police don't care, only attending to see if they can cut the dam racket off.

9 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Wow this is kind of harsh and the situation you describe here is far overstated. Especially from someone who is here only part time of the year, maybe some of the details of life here have been overlooked? May I remind the poster that in British Columbia, R.C.M.P. or Vancouver Police will not attend a property crime unless the loss is greater than $15,000, and that lawyers advise that personal litigation, including small claims, is not worth it unless the stakes are greater than $100,000 and if judgements could be secured by real estate liens. Chapala/Ajijic does not have legions of meth heads, heroin addicts, and opoid addicts running around, petty thieving break ins, desperate for their next fix. They recently occupied a large building in Victoria, B.C. They get caught, go through a very expensive legal conviction and incarceration process, then get released, fall back into the old ways, then back into the system again. Is this really the "compassion" that Canadians are so famous for? If this is what the "rule of law" looks like, and acts like, then we prefer Mexico. Here, if you are stupid enough to get addicted to heroin, then you are very likely to die young (but in very little pain). The "rule of law" here requires you to look after yourself, up to and including owning a personal firearm, and living in a community which watches out for each other and treats strangers, including police and government, with suspicion. If the security team your frac. hired does not feel they are part of the community - then replace them. I know for a fact that the team at Los Sabinos (mentioned in this thread) is very good, and has been absorbed as a part of that community. In Vancouver, house alarms and car alarms are totally ignored, other than becoming a noisy irritation. The police don't care, only attending to see if they can cut the dam racket off.

WOW, you must have lived on other Vancouver Island. No wonder you moved. In our part people do not have fences and bars on doors and windows. None of the above precaution is needed. An electric fence is used to deter deer not people (we live on acreage in the country). We've lived there for a dozen of years and I do not remember one single break in that time to any of our neighbours. Yes, we spend only part time Lakeside (for 17 years now) but hear about break-ins on regular bases. Many people  we know have some kind of unpleasant experience. There was an attempt on our place too few years back. Our gated community had 3 break-ins in the time we stayed there last winter. These high walls and electrified fences and broken bottles  on top of  walls are there for reason. But if I would live here full time and my knowledge of the other world came only from sensational stories of journalist I would be protective  and defensive as well because I know how wonderful the local people can be. .That is why people cannot understand why we would go to a place where human heads are rolling in the streets. We must be nuts. We argue that you have to live there to know better.

Take care Chillin and do not be so hard on me all the time. Except for you bashing Canadians I mostly agree with you. I love Ajijic but you cannot deny that there is not a high degree of corruption , criminals are not punished (justice system is highly corrupted and a joke) ,the laws are basically ignored and that the drug cartels run the country ..This is not my imagination it is a fact. Many people will say these facts apply to Canada too. I do not think to the same degree.

If we know how the system works we adapt. I will not further participate in this conversation as we all have our own opinions and experiences.

My previous post was to be sympathetic to OPs case and maybe a little warning for a newcomers to realize that things are different here and they have to take care of themselves . Nothing more. I love this country for so many other reasons..... including the climate.

I wish that OP will be able to identify these thieves and the case will end at their satisfaction.

Cheers.

Anyone remember just 10 years ago there was a spree of robberies in Ajijic Village, the mountain, and gated communities? All robberies were done during night while everyone was asleep. Those who had dogs said they never barked or made a sound. Very odd, huh? My theory is something was sprayed in the air to keep the dogs asleep as well as owners of the homes. Eventually, the robbers were caught - group of young men from another town just north of Chapala. No goods were ever recovered.

Archived