Chapala.com Webboard

Motorcycle intentionally run over

jarmen01

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyle:

A “chocolate“, in Mexican Spanish, is a car that is not necessarily legal, may have plates from elsewhere, and may be a rebuilt wreck; a car that was in a “choce“, a shock/crash/wreck, and is now in use in Mexico.  It has nothing to do with the color of the vehicle, but has, like many other words, become part of local spanglish. 

19 hours ago, jarmen01 said:

It is illegal to pass on the right, it is perfectly legal for motorcycles to "wiggle" between lanes.  My husband was wearing a helmet.  The other instances you mentioned are not applicable in this situation.  Thanks for the kind wishes.

IF you are saying it is perfectly legal for motorcycles to wiggle up through the traffic if traffic is slow or stopped I don't believe that is so. The law requires a motorcycle to have it's own lane and not try to share my space in my lane. If they do that they are at fault. Sure they do it here but that doesn't make it legal or excuse the act. They must pretend to be an auto and have their own lane. Tcyclist ignoring this and passing on right as well causes most of the accidents.

Spencer posted this in his Jalisco Traffic Law Post:

The state law changed this year, I don't have time for an official update but here are the changes:

Article 164 adds section XXII which deals with motorcycle drivers who don't drive in their lane.

Article 166 BIS - Added this year adds a fine of 200 to 400 days minimum wage for invading public transportation lanes. I had alluded to this in my guide but now it is official so watch out and don't get anywhere near the Macrobus lane.

Article 168 BIS - Added and deals with DUI, 30 day minimum wage fine (up from 10) and those refusing a breath test will be sent to the ministerio publico and they will do a blood draw.

9 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Correct.  Lane splitting by motos is legal and widely practiced here.

There's a separate driver's license for motos and some of the rules are different.

I doubt if it is legal.

14 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

It is legal in Mexico and California !!!

A car and a motorcycle can share the same lane side by side!? Weird. I doubt it. It doesn't make any sense and would be dangerous. Maybe two motorcyles can.

It is legal.  I am sorry you do not believe it.  But facts don't really care what anyone believes.

2 hours ago, geeser said:

IF you are saying it is perfectly legal for motorcycles to wiggle up through the traffic if traffic is slow or stopped I don't believe that is so. The law requires a motorcycle to have it's own lane and not try to share my space in my lane. If they do that they are at fault. Sure they do it here but that doesn't make it legal or excuse the act. They must pretend to be an auto and have their own lane. Tcyclist ignoring this and passing on right as well causes most of the accidents.

Been doing a little checking with our Moto group and this guy has done the same thing to one of our members in about the same area a while back. Our member seems to think he lives in Racquet Club. We have a member of our group on the board there & he is checking to see if anyone that has registered their car for a pass there is driving this car. Hopefully we are getting closer to catching this guy.

12 hours ago, jarmen01 said:

It is legal.  I am sorry you do not believe it.  But facts don't really care what anyone believes.

jarmen01 can you point out where it says it is legal?

47 minutes ago, cedros said:

jarmen01 can you point out where it says it is legal?

I unfortunately don't have the time to do so, if I run across it, I will post it  If anyone would like to do the research or take the Moto License test, I am sure everyone will find the answers they are looking for.  My post is not about the legalities of lane splitting.  I want to thank everyone again for your input and best wishes.  Peace to all and be safe out there.

3 hours ago, texican said:

Been doing a little checking with our Moto group and this guy has done the same thing to one of our members in about the same area a while back. Our member seems to think he lives in Racquet Club. We have a member of our group on the board there & he is checking to see if anyone that has registered their car for a pass there is driving this car. Hopefully we are getting closer to catching this guy.

Thank you so much.  There is no need for more public humiliation.  We will give the information to the authorities and let them handle it.   PLEASE DO NOT PUBLICLY POST THE NAME if you know this person.  Send me a pm.

Spencer, who is a motorcyle driver, posted this awhile back "Rules are same as for cars except I recall no lane splitting and you need to wear a helmet as well as drive on the extreme right." 

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Spencer, who is a motorcyle driver, posted this awhile back "Rules are same as for cars except I recall no lane splitting and you need to wear a helmet as well as drive on the extreme right." 

Spencer posted this in his Jalisco Traffic Law Post:

The state law changed this year, I don't have time for an official update but here are the changes:

Article 164 adds section XXII which deals with motorcycle drivers who don't drive in their lane.

Article 166 BIS - Added this year adds a fine of 200 to 400 days minimum wage for invading public transportation lanes. I had alluded to this in my guide but now it is official so watch out and don't get anywhere near the Macrobus lane.

Article 168 BIS - Added and deals with DUI, 30 day minimum wage fine (up from 10) and those refusing a breath test will be sent to the ministerio publico and they will do a blood draw.

Archived