Chapala.com Webboard

Rental agents

Me Linda

Hi ! We are coming down in may and have a temp rental for a month in lake chapala . We will be looking for a yearly rental while there . My question is are rental agents / real estate agents able to show all rental properties available or just the ones listed with their agency ? Is their multiple listing among all agents ? Thank you for your help. 

There is no MLS for rentals. Each rental office, whether independent or part of a local real estate company, has listings for their rentals. Yes, all agents can show the rentals from other companies, usually. The problem is finding out the existence of those listings. Requires lots of phone calls and leg work, which many agents are not willing to do for the relatively small commission. This leaves the search for them up to the potential renter.

Thank you Al Berca , A agent would just rent the home for a commission but a property manager would continue to be in charge of the rental ? I want a all inclusive rental so should I go with a property management company? Do you have any suggestions on where to start my legwork ? I hope I am responding to your post correctly as I have never posted here before!

Yes, agent gets commission from rental only. Property management is up to the property owner if they choose to pay the additional fees. Property management companies are usually just that and don't handle rentals, or very few.  It is up to the owner whether to self manage or hire a property manager as they pay for those services. The tenant usually has no input on this matter.  You will be here for a month in the near future and will have lots of time to do this while you are here on a face to face basis rather than a voice on a telephone. In Mexico, personal contact, rather than emails or phone calls, is very important.  Good luck.

2 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Yes, agent gets commission from rental only. Property management is up to the property owner if they choose to pay the additional fees. Property management companies are usually just that and don't handle rentals, or very few.  It is up to the owner whether to self manage or hire a property manager as they pay for those services. The tenant usually has no input on this matter.  You will be here for a month in the near future and will have lots of time to do this while you are here on a face to face basis rather than a voice on a telephone. In Mexico, personal contact, rather than emails or phone calls, is very important.  Good luck.

There are many property management firms who handle rentals.  Here are just some of them....http://www.chapalapmc.com/site/    http://ajijichomes4rent.com/   http://www.hernandezrgrentals.com/   http://ajijicrentalsandmanagement.com/rentals/   http://www.accesslakechapala.com/, etc.

I have been using Chapala Property Management for almost three years as a renter of different homes on their list, and I am very pleased with their service.  Just my opinion, of course.

I highly recommend you start with Mirna at Ajijic Rentals.   They have a large bank of properties, and they are rental agents and property managers.   We rent our house out through them, and use them as property managers for the house, for both our protection and the protection of our tenants, as we are not in town when we rent our house out.  This way, all bills can be paid within the rental amount, and everyone knows exactly what is and is not included.  Mirna knows her properties well, has excellent relationships with the property owners, and listens to the tenants' needs.  

On 1/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, garmemorial said:

I highly do NOT recommend Chapala Management and Concierge

20 hours ago, daisy2013 said:

I second that

When was the last time you dealt with CPM?  Their new property management director, Liz Verar, is extremely helpful and polite.  She's actually gone above and beyond with anything I've asked of her.

On 1/13/2017 at 2:26 PM, suegarn said:

When was the last time you dealt with CPM?  Their new property management director, Liz Verar, is extremely helpful and polite.  She's actually gone above and beyond with anything I've asked of her.

I agree Liz is very nice & helpful and I also heard that Russ is no longer involved in the business!!

• 1 year later...

Sometimes you just have to rely on serendipity. We were driving around on Friday, and one of the frac workers was digging up the road. I asked him in Spanish that if he found any gold, it was buried there by my famous pirata relative. The owner of the house came out - super nice man. I told him we were driving around looking for rentals. He said - you have to see my casita! We will wait a couple of weeks, then he thinks his tenants are out.

I agree Chillin, sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time.

We also prepared a document of what we were looking for and who we were and handed it in to various gated communities where we were interested in renting. We got an amazing number of calls and settled into La Huerta where we lived for four years.

Archived