Chapala.com Webboard

1st time returning to Mexico with Temporary Resident Card

Ready Or Not

We had our Temporary Resident Visa granted in Chapala before we left Mexico for Canada for Christmas,

This will be the first time actually entering Mexico with our new card.

Wondering what, if anything, we need to do upon entering the country at customs.

Do we just go through customs as usual but present our Temp. Visa card & the other half of the slip they gave us when we left?  

Do we still have to write on our IMN form Temporary Resident across the top?

Is there anything else we have to remember to do when going through?

If anyone can give us some advice it would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Yes and yes: you go through immigration with your passport and the return half of your FMM on which you have written Residente Temporal at the top; then at Customs you'll show a completed customs form (one per family) to the customs agent before you exit.

Did you fill out an FMM form when you left Mexico?  I believe temporary and permanent residents are supposed to fill out the form and go to the immigration window at the airport when they leave the country.  When you board the plane the airlines takes that part of the FMM from you to turn in to immigration.  You then have the other part of the FMM to fill out and turn in at immigration when you return along with showing your passport.  As a permanent resident that is the procedure I follow.  It is my understanding that residents (temporal or permanente) have to "check out "of the country each time they leave.

When they hand out the FMM forms on the airplane I always take one even though I have the half of the form to turn in at immigration when I return.  That way I have the form and can fill it out at home before I get to the airport for my next trip.

Yes we went to the immigration window when we left and yes we do have the other half of the FFM form they gave us at that time.

So bear with me a couple more questions:

Do we need to go to the immigration window to hand this other half back of that FMM form in when we arrive back in Mexico or hand it in to customs?  Also on this form it asks your country of residence - are we supposed to say Mexico or Canada since we live in both places?

What do we do with the additional FMM form that we will get on the plane or do we not have to take one?

Sorry folks just don't want to screw up or create some sort of problem for us.

The questions you are asking are all Immigration-related, and that's your first contact after deplaning. With FMM, Residente Temporal card, and passport in hand, you'll go thru Immigration then proceed to the luggage carousels, retrieve your bags and hand in the customs declaration to the Customs official. You may indeed receive a brand new FMM form on the plane along with a customs declaration; keep the clean FMM form for your next trip so you speed up the line. I agree with Maincoons: list Canada as your country of residence.

18 hours ago, jrod said:

The questions you are asking are all Immigration-related, and that's your first contact after deplaning. With FMM and passport in hand, you'll go thru Immigration then proceed to the luggage carousels, retrieve your bags and hand in the customs declaration to the Customs official. You may indeed receive a brand new FMM form on the plane along with a customs declaration; keep the clean FMM form for your next trip so you speed up the line. I agree with Maincoons: list Canada as your country of residence.

You left out handing your Residente Temporal card to the immigration offical.

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, tomgates said:

MC--why would you state Canada as your country of residence?

You wouldn't.  I misunderstood the circumstances.  When returning through the airport we hand them the Resident card, the passport and the stub.  They do the rest.

When we first got the FMN on the way out, we wrote "Residente Permanente" on both sides of the stub.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:57 PM, mudgirl said:

Actually you show your temp visa to immigration as well, not just customs. And on the FMM form you fill out on the plane, there is a box to check for residency, as well as writing it on the top of the form.

You shouldn't get one on the plane .... he already has one

On 1/10/2017 at 8:16 AM, jrod said:

The questions you are asking are all Immigration-related, and that's your first contact after deplaning. With FMM, Residente Temporal card, and passport in hand, you'll go thru Immigration then proceed to the luggage carousels, 

Depends on the airport ..... Manzanillo is the opposite 

Archived