Chapala.com Webboard

Tabarka location

bdlngton

Walking up Marcos Castellanos today I saw that Tabarka is occupying a space where another restaurant used to be.  Can't remember the name of the restaurant that was there previously but an Argentinean name comes to mind.  Is this the "mini" Tabarka that used to be on the lateral across from Super Lake or is it the main Tabarka restaurant in a new location or . . .

Our group went last night, fantastic setting great location, we all can walk there, we had Pompano, which was superb with all the trimmings, David had Calamari last night also great, He will be serving traditional Spanish breakfasts in a clay pot, starting next Tuesday at 8 am

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Where is this street?  Please give directions

The new Tabarka is in the first block of Ramon Corona (changes from Marcos Castellanos at the corner) north of Lake Chapala Society.

We just had lunch there and the garden setting is lush and lovely.  There is more seating than at the former location. I had monkfish and my spouse had the swordfish, both delicious.  The usual basket of French bread with garlic mayo came first, and is addictive.  David arrived and described the new breakfast offerings starting next Tuesday at 8 am.  They have an attractive tasting menu worth trying.  A real keeper at a better location, IMO. Fish lovers heaven!

1 hour ago, Joyfull said:

Will the restaurant be coded Mondays & tuesdays like it was at their other locations?

I think you meant "closed".  When I talked to David yesterday, he said closed Monday only.

Re Stymie's question:  Marcos Castellanos changes to Ramon Corona at the northern corner of the street.   Tabarka is on Ramon Corona.  I checked the sign.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

I think you meant "closed".  When I talked to David yesterday, he said closed Monday only.

Re Stymie's question:  Marcos Castellanos changes to Ramon Corona at the northern corner of the street.   Tabarka is on Ramon Corona.  I checked the sign.

I did mean closed Gringal. Dang auto correct...need to proof read!

Worth trying:  the new breakfast, beginning at 8 am. Four of us went to Tabarka for a fairly early lunch yesterday, and one decided to try the clay pot breakfast. Basically, it starts with two eggs, covered with your choice of toppings including meats, followed by cheese. My friend kept making "yum" sounds and loved it. Comes with bollilo, juice and coffee or tea. $80pesos.
The rest of us: one had mahi mahi and said it was the "real thing". Another had monkfish. Happy with it. I had shrimp with a choice of sauces and selected tangerine. The shrimp was very fresh and the tangerine sauce...delicious.
They have specials advertised in the front doorway, one of which is 6 tapas for 100 pesos. Next time, I'll go for that or try one of the chicken dishes.
His former westside location was nice, but this one is improved in every way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally went to give it a try last night.  After an hour and 20 minutes and no food, got up and left.  Waited 40 minutes for a truly mediocre and skimpy appetizer of supposedly grilled Calamari.  Cold, greasy, unappetizing to look at or eat.

Only three tables had people, there were four supposed employees in the place who seemed to spend their time wandering about or chatting.  After we got up to leave, they claimed we should have known the Paella takes 40 minutes.  Of course no one told us that and it had already been an hour and 15 minutes since we put the order in.

We went around the corner and had the usual great, well prepared, promptly and properly served meal at Cocinart, which was almost full.

Will not bother with this place again.  Too bad as we really liked it when it was on the west side.  I suppose one could ask whether David is there before sitting down.  We know he knows how to put out a great meal without taking forever to do it.

My advice to David is that if you are serious about operating this restaurant you better be there because the people you have running the place when you aren't are clearly not up to the task.

Had a wonderful array of tapas there on a weeknight earlier this week.  We were the only customers and things came out timely, well-prepared and tasty.   On par with what we had experienced at his former locations to the west.

I agree that owners need to know what's going on when they are not around. Since weekends are busy even this time of year, owners should be on-hand or at least pop-in to see what's going on.  

Tabarka is no longer open before noon.

I am sorry to say that, for whatever reason, the restaurant needs to get their management action together.  Typically, they have a chalkboard at the door listing the daily main course selections, which can include a choice of fish, chicken, pork or beef.  However, upon entering the dining area, there is another chalkboard with either fewer selections  or different ones.  The individual chalkboards the waiter brings may have still another group of choices.  This isn't good and could easily be corrected.

Yes, I agree that an hour and a half wait is way too long.

Let's hope things change.  I love their food and preparation.  Healthy and delcious.

Me too.  Remembering what things were like when the restaurant was on the west side we were really looking forward to this meal and to having this restaurant within easy walk of our house.

We'll have to see evidence of permanent correction of the problem we encountered before we'll consider returning.  No need to risk a poor evening out when there are many alternatives.

Very disappointed especially since our favorite restaurant reviewer :) did much better there.  Fortunately, Cocinart saved the evening!

So, having made a point of the discrepancies between the several chalk board menus shown, we went for lunch there today after discovering the totally mobbed situation at Cocinart and lo and behold!  All three chalkboards agreed.  My spouse had the best piece of grouper he's had yet and I had a good sausage entree. A new waiter had a little trouble with English, so we defaulted to our restaurant Spanish and all was well.  We were one of the few customers, and service was good.They treated us to a small portion of Spanish Tortilla and of course, there was the usual fresh bread and garlic mayo.

David wasn't there.  He may have a bit much on his plate, since they also have a small place opposite Superlake.  That's hard to cope with.

We were out of there is slightly less than an hour.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm hoping for the best, since we live within walking distance.

Archived