Chapala.com Webboard

Poutine Place

pennwarr

If you haven't tried Poutine Place yet, it's definitely worth a trip. The food is fresh, delicious, and beautifully presented. The place itself is adorable. It's bright, colorful, and airy with lots of light, as you are surrounded by big windows.  The prices are more than reasonable, and the portions are quite adequate. I had my first poutine there, and was quite surprised. It was very delicious. There were 4 Canadians at the next table who raved about the gravy. I had the chicken topping, which I would definitely order again.  Word has it that they will begin serving Fish & Chips next week!

24 minutes ago, SntaCrzlady said:

Where is this Poutine Place located? I've heard so many good things about it. I want to go and try it. Heard my friends say exactly the same as above. And fish and chips sounds great. Heard the owner is so very nice as well. It deserves a try for sure.

It' s almost directly across the street from Super Lake in San Antonio, but this place was exhaustively discussed just a couple of weeks ago - so you may want to read that.

I just went there for the second time, and was just as impressed as the first time. They brought out totapos with 4 freshly made different salsas, while we were waiting, and I have to say, they were the best I've had anywhere. The food was not only delicious, but artfully presented. I enjoyed the cheerful atmosphere. The 3 friends that I was with were equally pleasantly surprised. The service was excellent, and the owner was very friendly and attentive.  They have more than just poutine. I look forward to returning to try their other offerings.

I had the fish and chips while my wife had a beef burrito (out of chicken).  Probably the best fish I've had but don't remember the name of the ocean fish.  I hadn't heard of it before.  The breading was light and not crisp.  My spouse liked her burrito and said she would order it again.  Since I had to make a choice on what to eat there, I ordered a serving of barbecued pulled pork to bring home and surround with a large flour tortilla.  The specials weren't on the menu so be sure to check the sandwich board when you go in.  The 2 servers didn't speak English but there's others there that do and they make up for it with their smiles. 

On 1/13/2017 at 6:39 PM, mhopkins2 said:

I had the fish and chips while my wife had a beef burrito (out of chicken).  Probably the best fish I've had but don't remember the name of the ocean fish.  I hadn't heard of it before.  The breading was light and not crisp.  My spouse liked her burrito and said she would order it again.  Since I had to make a choice on what to eat there, I ordered a serving of barbecued pulled pork to bring home and surround with a large flour tortilla.  The specials weren't on the menu so be sure to check the sandwich board when you go in.  The 2 servers didn't speak English but there's others there that do and they make up for it with their smiles. 

I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound offensive, but Mexicans don't need to "make up" for not speaking English.

Getting back to the topic...hubby and I decided to give it a try today. We've never had poutine so we have nothing to compare theirs against. All I can say is it was delicious! I'd be willing to bathe in that gravy. It's salty, but extremely flavorful. Now that they serve fish and chips, I'll have to go back and try that. I'm sure the chips will be the same as the fries for the poutine, and they were outstanding. Perfectly browned and crispy on the outside; tender on the inside.

Had to try the fish and chips today. Very tasty, but quite greasy. Four decent-sized pieces, along with a smattering of fries. The fries are so-so, but better than when I first tried the poutine. Friendly service, a nice bowl (two varieties) of nacho chips and four kinds of salsa. Beer is cheaper than soft drinks, so... . A decent home-made tartar sauce.

Also met Juan, the Mexican Texan who slow cooks and sells brisket and ribs on Fridays and Saturdays. What a character. In half an hour, we covered every topic from calving on a big ranch, to 11 hours for smoking a brisket, to "the wall". Being from Texas, he has a different opinion than you would think. But that accent, boy...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now, was just treated to one of Ranger Juan's all-beef, very large hamburgers, which he is giving away free today, still for a little bit, at the Poutine place. Just a donation in the jar for La Ola. Met the woman who runs that place; very nice lady. Hamburger was deelish, cooked over mesquite, and big enough to satisfy anyone. He also has a cooler contraption with beer running through it in plastic tubing. Real party happening there right now; started at 5. Juan is as cheerful as ever.

Archived