Chapala.com Webboard

crossing north at colombia, MX

pdqpc

Hi, I am driving to the US Sunday and wish to cross at Colombia. Where (which building) do I need to turn in my car import sticker? I just rec. my first year Residente Temporal card. Do I need to do anything with that at the border to be able to come back into MX later? Thanks, Wayne  PS I will be driving on hwy 85 from Monterrey. What is the best road to take to Colombia Before I get to Nuevo Laredo?

If you don't turn in your TIP and something happens to your vehicle you would have a nightmare trying to prove the vehicle had left Mexico... At Columbia there is very little traffic so it only take a few minutes to return your TIP and to get a new one.. 

In my opinion it's not worth the risk to save a few minutes and $350 peso.

After you turn into the Colombia (World Trade Center) complex follow the road through the complex, you will see a small white hut on your left, there is a sign telling you "TIP Reterno"

After you return your TIP you will see a road on your left that will take you to the INM building, park in the covered parking lot and walk back to the white building.. The last door will take into the INM office.

Dont forget Colombia is not open 24hrs, I believe it is open from 8am to midnight, but don't take my word on that....

" I will be driving on hwy 85 from Monterrey. What is the best road to take to Colombia Before I get to Nuevo Laredo?"

The short answer is Highway 2.

On 85 and approaching  hiway 2 you will see the green sign.... Pte. Colombia and Puente Internacional... to the right. You'll 'fly over' 85 to the west. Stay on 2, for quite a while, following all signs to Puente Colombia.

Thanks TelsZ4. Yes I will turn in my TIP sticker. But I do not know if I need  to do anything with my TP card to get my vechile deposit back?? (Migracion in Chapala kept the cards for a few months for some odd reason). Thanks also for the directions. I usually go through Laredo, but the border wait times are rough there. Si I believe you  are correct about the time they are open.

You need to take with you the original of the TIP paperwork including the payment receipt from Banjercito that you got when you purchased the sticker when you came in.  After you turn off of Hwy. 2 and drive into the compound, there are signs that instruct you to keep to your left.  As you are almost to the toll booths and can see the buildings near the bridge, there is a booth on the left you stop beside.  The attendant will come out, give him/her your paperwork and tell them you want to cancel it.  You will then need to remove the small windshield sticker and give it to the attendant - they may or may not have a razor blade or scraper to help you get it off.  They will then give you a receipt that you have turned it in, keep this in a safe place in case it is needed in the future and then off on your way.  If you wish to get your passport stamped, you can park on the left just before the toll booths and then walk over to the large white building further to your left (beside the incoming lanes from the USA).  INM, Aduan and Banjercito are in that building.  

Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. I am sure I can find the right place now. If only there are enough gas stations open to the north, I should do fine.

Archived