Chapala.com Webboard

Super Lake paid for item not bagged AGAIN.

J.Miller

We have just unpacked our groceries and guess what the 42 peso jar of sage that we bought is not here and yes, we have thoroughly checked the car.  I just tried calling the number on the receipt but get no answer.  It seems to me that a couple of times a month we shop at Wall-Mart or Super Lake and return with items missing.  It is hard to watch as things are rung up and at the same time keep your eyes on the end of the conveyer belt to make sure that they are bagged.  Any suggestions?

If this was happening to me several times a month I would not be shopping in those stores any longer. If it was happening to me and I could not for some reason give up shopping at the stores where items were being regularly stolen while I had to watch the cashiers I would never shop alone. One person watches the register and the other person watches items as they are being bagged. 

@pappysmarket

It's the principle!  Unfortunally somethings only Walmart carries.

I used to live very close to Walmart in San Antonio but would drive to Soriana's.

Just think...the thousands that shop at Walmart getting short changed...

adds up.  However,  bottom line... It's the principle.  You pay and receive change.

When you get home and realize something is missing so back to the store that same day. Mistakes happen. It's also high season and the stores are busy! Go see the ladies in the front of the store and tell them you were missing something (and a little honey here will get you a long way) and they'll give you your 42p sage. No much more to it.  

With the increase in traffic it takes us about an hour and a half to get from Super Lake to our house past Joco; going back to the store for a 42 pesos item considering the time and the gas would not work for us.  We usually shop two at a time, one to watch as things are rung in and one to watch as things are bagged, but that is not always possible and even if it were, we should not have to shop in tandem to get the job done.

The other day at Wall-Mart (a separate trip) when I got to the check out a kid moved my cart out of the way and practically out of my reach to unload, so that he could replenish the candy shelves.  That was not bad enough, another young girl approached from the bagging end and shoved the cart out of her way so that she could retrieve the small green trolleys from under the counter.  A woman who had approached from behind me left and looked elsewhere for a lane less chaotic, however not finding one she returned to take her lumps in my lane.

I don't usually complain but when you need a GPS to pick your way around the store trying to avoid the obstacles and barriers like small groups sitting in the aisles with pallets and skids, one person unloading the others observing(?) you just have to ask yourself why is it that they would restock at peak shopping times?  

As for missing items, I doubt that they have been stolen.  I think the cashiers are twice as fast as the baggers and the person doing the bagging has things flying down a conveyer belt at a speed they can't keep up so they just place things in bags and hope that it all works out in the end.  Unfortunately it doesn't.

By the way, I have given up calling Super Lake which is someplace we almost have to shop for gluten free bread.

The best thing to do is making sure there is nothing left behind before leaving because with the traffic right now it is a real pain to fgo back..minimizing the trips there is also a good idea, I know that is what I am doing now, the traffic is just too much to bother going there.

I think all  of us have got home to find something is missing after a shopping trip. This happened NOB also. Don't tell me it didn't because it did. It happens. This is Mexico! We are responsible for our purchases. No-one else

I sometimes get stuff in my bag that I didn't buy. Probably not intentional, just stuff that ended up at the bagging section and didn't make it into the correct customer's bag. The two times that has happened in the past year, I do recall that the items were too inexpensive to bother returning and wishing the previous customers had better tastes! <g>

I would be so happy to bag my own groceries but I agree with 757 that it provides an income and we always try to be more than generous to the baggers as well as to the guys who want to wheel our purchases to the car.  I only partially agree with Dave0415, we should be responsible for our own groceries once they are in our hands, but Wal-Mart is there to provide a service for which I pay and part of that service includes cashing us out and bagging the groceries.  Until they provide a lane where my groceries are separated from everything else coming down the shoot to be bagged by me, then Wal-Mart is responsible until they are in my care.  And, yes, mistakes happen and they happen nob too, but our experience was that it was unusual not dependable.  

It provides income and speed up the process, all we have to do after we pay is make sure thre is nothing left, behind, not complicated..I think we all had moment of inattention and it is maddening but we cannot blame anyone but ourselves. All we have to do is check that nothing is left behind before leaving.

bmh part of the problem is that when one persons purchases are sitting waiting to be bagged (often not very speedy at all) other people's items are being fired into the mix by the cashier.  We tend do a large shopping when we make the trip in and unless we want to pause for further half hour in the store to check our bags against our receipt (which we do not) you are just guessing/hoping that everything has been included.  We often drive in the other direction to Guadalajara's Wal-Mart; the store is CLEAN (including the washrooms), well stocked, and the check out people seem to handle things easily and efficiently, so it is possible.  Especially over the holidays there were huge line ups at the cashiers in Guadalajara but we still managed to return home with ALL of our purchases.  Also, there were not pallets and stock clerks blocking the aisles making shopping an obstacle course.  Just saying . . .

Ajijic's Wal-Mart seems to be getting worse; that is just my opinion and I don't want to start a shopping war by stating it. 

The washrooms are clean at this Walmart and I am not going to post about something not being bagged once in a while for a piddling amount.I'll merely buy another next time.

As usual the sun is shining today and I found a really tasty new Mezcal at Paz that i will enjoy in late afternoon.

J.Miller, in your OP you asked for suggestions for dealing with your problem. You were offered several and for each one explained why you are unwilling/unable to do that, they would not work for you or you already do that. Sounds as though you are SOofL and will just need to lose an item every now and then. 

Archived