Chapala.com Webboard

Anybody have a friend or relative arriving soon?

Hello all,

This is an unusual "last shot" request, but my mother who is 97 years old is at Casa Nostra here and is in her final days. She requested a certain dress to be buried in. We have desperately tried to ship it from Minnesota, but it is not allowed because of Mexican drug enforcement laws. FedEX, UPS and USPS will not accept the dress for shipment. So I am reaching out to see if anyone here knows of someone willing to bring the dress with them in the next few days if they are coming to the area. We would overnight the dress to them.

As you can imagine, this has been an ordeal in many ways. My family would be eternally grateful if someone would help us fulfill my mother's wishes. It is a special dress she wore to our weddings, and it means a lot to her.

Many thanks,

Martha Murphy

marthamurphy@gmail.com

2016-09-04 19.09.54.jpg

We just had clothing delivered to our house from the U.S. via DHL. Went through customs in GDL with no problems.  Had clothing delivered a few weeks ago from Amaxon, no problems.  Talk to the people st IShop, maybe they can arrange for pick up of the dress by a DHL driver in Minnesota. Just a suggestion.

I read on the iShop website that duty on clothing was 59%. That seemed unbelievable.

I cannot help you with this, but I did want to comment that your Mother has a remarkable smile, and I'll bet a remarkable personality to match. God bless you for caring for her in this way.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

It does not..but used glothes get confiscate when found.if that is what they are looking for that day. I had many packages with used clothes confiscated..as I said no problem with new cloth , just taxes.

That's what I would have thought, but the OP's statement specified drug enforcement laws.  That's why I was asking.  The exact quote..."We have desperately tried to ship it from Minnesota, but it is not allowed because of Mexican drug enforcement laws. FedEX, UPS and USPS will not accept the dress for shipment. "

Oh to be a fly on the wall when your brother tells them it is his dress! A long time ago I worked for a very famous lawyer and successful politician. He sent me to San Francisco on a business trip, he said he had an used return ticket which was still valid (he had sent that lawyer to another destination from San Francisco). So I looked at it and said no way, this is in a women's name, I think that is probably not right on an international flight. He said - no problem, tell them that is your stage name! I didn't go for that, and client was paying anyways.

Two years ago I crossed in to Mexico at Colombia (Texas) alone..I was searched and asked the question "is all this stuff yours..?" To which I answered " No some of it belongs to my friend, it was only female clothes and shoes, they went through her stuff.. Telling me " you can only bring your own personal items into the country.. She should be with you if you are bringing her items into the country.."  I said "Sorry I didn't know that"  they then said " OK so now you know, be more careful next time"  and that was it off I went.

That was the only time in ten years of driving here I've had any issue with the stuff I've had in my car...

After ten years I have leant to expect the unexpected... 

26 minutes ago, mrsfiddlegirl said:

Mainecoons, it is extremely light - like a silk fabric. Would weigh less than a pound I would think. It is just a sheath with sleeves.

Hmm - MC's brother loves silk! Of course he will do this for you, I would be very disapointed  in him if he did not. Wish I could help. Alex Peterson is doing another border run next month, if this doesn't work out.

Unlike US and Canadian customs agents, Mexican Aduana agents, at least most I have encountered, seem to be able to retain their humanity, rather than acting like humorless robots. I would suggest that the fellow bringing down the dress have the photo of the elderly woman on hand, and if questioned, simply tell the agent the truth. I can't imagine any Mexican Aduana official refusing to allow someone to bring in a used dress of special significance that the OP's mother wishes to be buried in.

There are 2 delivery service men who will bring the dress back to you.  You would have to ship it to their U.S. address and then they would courier it to you for a reasonable fee.  I don't think they would have to pay duty on it at the boarder because it is used.

The 2 men are Alex Peterson and Hugh Roberts.  I have their contact information if you want it.  I don't know when their next trip to the states will be, but they go fairly often to supply this service.

Archived