Chapala.com Webboard

No MX plated cars for tourist visas

mexilady

Maybe I am not seeing the big picture here but WHY would Mexico not want folks that are here for six months a year to not be able to buy a Mexican car?  Apparently this is now the case for 2017. It is still legal to drive one and I guess if you already own one then it won't be a problem but if you want another car then you are no longer able.

47 minutes ago, mexilady said:

Maybe I am not seeing the big picture here but WHY would Mexico not want folks that are here for six months a year to not be able to buy a Mexican car?  Apparently this is now the case for 2017. It is still legal to drive one and I guess if you already own one then it won't be a problem but if you want another car then you are no longer able.

It was also the case for 2016

2 hours ago, mexilady said:

Maybe I am not seeing the big picture here but WHY would Mexico not want folks that are here for six months a year to not be able to buy a Mexican car?   <snip...>

Who says they can't?

They can probably buy a car, but registering it can be a problem without a residence visa and CURP.  There could also be some resistance from the car rental or taxi industry, etc. 

16 hours ago, mexilady said:

Anyone can BUY a car in Mexico.. ..you just can't register it in your name.. 

I do not know about Jalisco but easy to buy a car in the state of Guanajuato, then as a tourist obtain a MX driver's license and register the vehicle. I have done this several times. 

But a valid question because a tourist could not buy a Honda motorcycle in Cancun so with my advice came here to SMA and bought the same motorcycle, got a driver's and registered it.

buen fin

Sonia

3 hours ago, RickS said:

This seems to maybe be good case of semantics.... "yes, you can buy a vehicle using a Tourist card, but no you cannot register/drive it". 

So why would one purchase it?

You can drive it.. I know this for a fact.. When I purchased my Mexican plated car car just a few months ago the seller and I discovered I could not register it so after consulting with our insurance broker and a lawyer I drove the car but we left the car in his name until I got my permenant card....

9 minutes ago, RickS said:

But isn't that a pretty 'special case'... not really a normal 'tourist card holder' owning and driving a Mexican plated car?

I wouldn't say it was a special case.. In my case it was only 8 weeks until I picked up my permenant card.. 

The point I was trying to make was that if you could find a friend that would register the vehicle in their name you could drive it..  In Mexico they insure the vehicle not the driver.. 

We consulted with an insurance broker and a lawyer whose opinion was that it's perfectly legal to do that....

Archived