Chapala.com Webboard

Dee's Pet Hotel

Yes, she is still there.  One thing to know.  We have taken our dogs there many times over the past 6 yrs.  Dee is always attentive and dogs love to go there.  But, there are alot of fleas and ticks on the property.  Even tho our dogs are treated monthly with Frontline Plus they just came back loaded in fleas.   Be warned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw this and wanted to post in Dee's defense. We've used her many times and have never had a problem. I am anal (yes, anal) about my dogs and I'm also a former kennel owner, so I don't drop my dogs off to just anyone. They go to Dee's and actually race to get out of the car. She has a great exercise area, lots of fencing, and space in the rooms. Is it perfect? Of course not, but my dogs don't start shaking when they arrive. They think they're on vacation. We haven't had a problem with fleas, but it is in a country area, so giving your pets a flea treatment would be wise. It never ceases to amaze me about what people expect and for how little. If you want your dogs in a home environment, then hire a house sitter. If you're like us and don't feel comfortable leaving someone in your home, then Dee is a great alternative. Do the smart thing. Go out to her place, walk around, and talk to her. If you like what you hear, great. If not, find an alternative. JMHO

Her phone number is 045-331-765-7074. 

Tingting:  First I am happy that you are happy with Dee's, however, everyone is not.  I am one of them.  I have boarded dogs for many years in the states and know that this is not a "home" environment.  We were forced to use a boarding place here when our pet/house sitter had a problem just before we were leaving ... Dee's had been highly recommended on this board so we used her.  We were very impressed with the large exercise area but when we picked our dogs up we found that they got to use that exercise area very little.  It was explained to us by Dee that she does not let the dogs out at the same time and she wound up with more dogs than she had planned at that time.  Therefore, the dogs did not even get out enough to keep them from having to poop in the same room they slept in.  I would like for you to look at the little room that is located at the end of the hall/entry as you come in the front door.  It is about a 10' long triangle which makes it about a 5' x 10' room with a window high up on the wall.  I was under the impression that this was mostly for sleeping .... NOT!!  This small room was used for both of our dogs.  I would be very interested to know if you think this room has "space in the room" for two dogs to be held for approximately 20 hours a day?   When we picked up our dogs they were both much changed ... took us about 1 1/2 weeks to stop the pooping  in the house (they had never, ever pooped in our house).  Dee explained to me that they should have poo'd sooner after they ate ... they don't poop within the time they have ... "too bad, they have to poop where they sleep".  We also brought home food that was "left over" that we had taken.  The only problem was that we took just enough food for the time we were gone.  We even talked about that before we left because I was concerned about what would happen if we were delayed and they had eaten all their food.  We had tried to purchase extra but their particular food was not available until the day after we were to leave.  Dee told me not to worry ... that if that happened she would purchase some and I could pay her when we got home.  As it turned out, they were not fed what food we took.  

People need to know what exactly the "rules" are at Dee's.  You have to know that just because you are told that the dogs will not be in their rooms most of the day that this is not true if she "fills up" while you are gone.  

We are not novices.  We went out to her place, we walked around, we looked at the rooms.  We talked to Dee.  We were told that the dogs would be kept on their particular schedule of eating ... or close thereto.  We were told they would not be in that tiny room for most of the day.  We were not told that should she fill up that she only let dogs out for exercise one at a time (or however many were there together).  You can do the math ... there were 10 dogs there when we picked ours up.  There are 15 hours between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. at night .... so just how long do you think they got to exercise or have time to poo after they ate?  I still get furious thinking about what an awful time they had while I was thinking that "they were having a vacation" as you say.  Some vacation.

Wookie,

I'm really sorry that you had such a negative experience and, of course, you have every right to post what you experienced. My two dogs are both small and they have, in fact, slept in that room that you described. I prefer it because it does have a window. I don't expect my dogs to go out for hours on end. In a kennel, that's just not possible, but yes, they definitely should have sufficient outside time to do their business; however, having been in the business, I do know that many dogs don't act in a kennel the way they do at home. This includes pooping "on demand." When you have a kennel, you have a schedule. I'm not trying to excuse or not excuse your particular experience, but I think some of the things I read were just unfair. JMHO 

The problem is my dogs did not "sleep" in that little room; and, the window is high up on the wall so they can not see out; and, I did not expect them to be outside for "hours on end" but I was told that they would be out much more than they were; and, my dogs don't "poop on demand" but they will with sufficient time and exercise poop outside and not in the house; and, finally, I should have been told what the real thing was to expect so I could make the decision to leave them.  Had I been told how things actually were going to be, I would never have left them there even if I had to cancel my trip.  

I too boarded dogs at an assortment of places NOB. The dogs were in a room ONLY 5' by 10' and no window???? When we lived in the mountains, our best alternative was our local Vet's office where the dogs were kept in big crates and walked a few times a day. The dogs survived. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I happen to agree with Wookie.  If what she says is true, I too would be furious.  When we have boarded our dogs with her they always came home happy and well cared for.  But, who knows what really happens when you are not there.  No way to say for sure.  The fact is, when you board your dogs, you get what you get.  The same is true of house/pet sitters - they can tell you they are at home with your dogs most of the day but who really knows.  You are not there to see and until our dogs learn to speak, we'll just never really know for sure.  We have chosen not to board them out anymore, we hire a housesitter and so far dogs are healthy, happy and content when we come home.  Finding a good pet/house sitter takes some work but worth it, IMO.  We were not happy the last time our dogs went to Dee's - it took us weeks to get rid of the fleas and our dogs are treated every single month without fail with Frontline.  No perfect answer if we want to travel and leave our puppies!

MtnMama:  When we boarded in the States we had indoor/outdoor kennels so the dogs could come in and out as they needed.  We paid extra for them to have play time with a minder twice a day.  These things are not important to everyone, I know.  We all make our own decisions about how we care and treat our animals.  I would never leave my dogs in a big crate but I know there are people that do.

My deal here is that I was told the very opposite of what reality turned out to be.  As I said, had I been told the real deal to expect then I could have made my decision and it would not have been the one I made.

We are extremely lucky now to have this problem taken care of in a way that meets with our particular needs and desires.

I do agree with mudgirl and I said this very thing to Dee.  However, she told me that all the added dogs that she was not expecting to have when she represented herself and her kennel to me, came from a breeder that uses her a lot and she would not turn her down as she was her bread and butter.  

My purpose in posting about this is so that anyone that chooses to use this kennel will know "the other side of the story" and can make up their minds about what is important for them and their animals.

You need to see your dogs when you are not there at Dee's Pet Hotel.

I have.

I visit Lakeside about once a year, and have the privilege of being Dee's brother.

Dee has had an understanding with animals ever since she was a young child. They know she cares, and she is the one in charge. She is top dog.

I have seen Dee's Pet Hotel and her loyal base of customers grow over the years.

Dee has introduced me to your pets when you are not there:

The shy, skittish ones that need their own time before getting ready to be friendly.
The brash, overexcited ones that need a firm hand, 
The ones that just want to love you to death.
The ones that are inconsolable because they miss you.

I always felt a little guilty that I got to meet your dogs when you weren't there, but knew they were in good hands with Dee.

I live in England where, unlike Lakeside, there are strict specifications and regulations for pet care. I have not used a kennel in England that is as properly managed as Dee's Pet Hotel. 

If you are unkind to animals in England, you ultimately report to Queen Elizabeth II. The Queen is the patron of RSPCA, The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. I think Dee and the Queen would get along just fine. They both like dogs better than people.

I am biased. I also know what I have seen with my own eyes; your pets and the professional care for them at Dee's Pet Hotel.

George Roberts

22 Church Close
Milford
United Kingdom

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:25 AM, MtnMama said:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Well said, MtnMama!

Again, having been on the other side of the counter, I know what's realistic and what's not. If I were to recount some of the things that people expected from a kennel -  for the equivalent of about .25/hour(!), you'd tell me I was making it up. Again, Wookie has the right to relate her own experiences and expectations, but I will also relate that my small guys come back happy and healthy. Yesterday, when I was preparing our car (blanket, etc) to pick up our two new adoptions from Lucky Dog, one of my dogs was wagging her tail like there was no tomorrow because she thought it meant she was about to go to Dee's. When we go there, she jumps out of the car and just tears off into the outdoor runs...no sad face, droopy ears, and no goodbye to us! .

My point is that a kennel is not for everyone. If having a house sitter works for you, then that's the way to go. If you prefer not to have someone in your home, then a kennel is. Just be realistic in your expectations. Check the place out and check out the competition. The kennel is there to keep your dog safe and secure. It's not a grooming facility where your dog comes back smelling like peaches and cream; it's not a training facility where they're going to fix the problems that you can't (or won't); and it's not going to be just like home. At the end of the day, those who love Dee will continue to love Dee and those who don't...well...just more room for my gals! 

Exactly where is her new place?  I have boarded my dogs with her at the old place just before she moved.   Can anyone give me accurate directions?  When  took a dry  run for the first place she lived, I nearly ended up in Ataquiza.   I finally found it.   Thanks for your help.

I, too, have used Dee for the last time after picking up my dog on January 4, after a ten day stay, with two deep bleeding gashes, not bites, on her side and being told they happened the night before, but nobody knew how or what had happened to her. No vet was called and no attempt was made to contact me. I had to stop at my vet on the way home and she received over a dozen stitches, plus two meds for possible infections. Very little concern from Dee, although she had put some salve n the wounds. No apology and no offer of assistance with close to 2000 pesos in vet bills after several visits to check the wounds and remove stitches. Not even a phone call to see how she was.

Al Berca, your dog was there, apparently, during some of the same time ours were.  We picked ours up December 31.  I wish we had experienced what some of the other people have experienced but am sure glad that we were not met with what your were met with coming home from a trip.  Ours smelled to high heaven and we stopped at Dr. Bernice's and she was kind enough to bathe them both for us.  So. sorry that this happened as it is terrible to think that one's beloved pet would be hurt in such a way much less not even taken to the vet to be seen to ....  Dee assured me that if anything happened to our dogs that she had a vet on call and they would be taken care of just as if we were home.  I suppose this was just another fabrication. 

Archived