Chapala.com Webboard

UV Water Purification - advice needed

I'm renting a house with a water purification system and looking for some info if anyone is familiar with these because I'm not getting much help from the property manager. I tried Google but I don't have enough specific info to narrow it down to what I need.

Two questions; 

The ballast is a model EB2439-110 and there are two small LED lights on the front of the unit that are flashing red. Does this mean it's working, not working or something else? Is there a way to tell visually if it's working? 

The switch is a simple rocker switch and I know sometimes the "on" position is reversed down here. The bottom half of the switch is red and in one position the red portion is exposed. I'm assuming it's "off" when the red is exposed - am I right?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Thx

20170104_135032_resized.jpg

20170104_135142_resized.jpg

We have the same system. However, we don't have the part that has the blinking lights. From the picture, your system is "on".  Notice that the uv light should be bluish. If not, your bulb is burned out. We change the filters which are located in the long plastic tubes every 6-8 months.  You can call a plumber or there is a store in the mall by El Torrito that services and sells these units. FYI -they speak English.

When in doubt, turn off the system and buy bottled water to drink etc..

Hope this helps.

I would guess the blinking red light is a malfunction. First thing is to find out when the tube was changed.  They should be changed yearly and can only go a few months past that.  I'd be willing to guess this hasn't been done and the thing is probably burned out.

This is a good point for you renters.  Before handing over the money, the water system should be properly serviced for both filters and UV.  These things are expensive and you should not be stuck with servicing items that the previous renter wore out.

The piece you show is a way water is exposed to UV light to kill some biological contaminants.  Even if the light is on, it could be old with diminished effectiveness.  Yearly replacement is usually recommended. If I came into a rental property, I'd replace it right away.  Also, there are probably some "sediment" filters that, where I live, I usually replace every two-three months.  I check them monthly since the amount of sediment varies.

Near San Antonio, there is a "Home Services" place (also housing "Handi Mail"), and  In central ajijic, there is H2Ole in the plaza with El Torito and   West of town in the center with "Pacifica" there is Tech Agua. All can repair and replace bulbs , ballasts, filters, etc. 

Some people use Garafons of water for drinking. Some use Reverse Osmosis. Some drink from the tap.  Just depends on how strong your body is and how good the source of the water is nad how clean the pipes are ...and...and...and....

Archived