Chapala.com Webboard

Internet Speed

This is just an FYI for anyone interested in better internet speed

I'm renting a house with TelMex Wifi. The signal is strong and the speed is OK for normal internet usage and streaming NetFlix, but it's not fast enough for the two-way video conferencing I need for work.  My speed here at home is only 5mbps download and .65 mbps upload.

I just came from ATT and they put a new sim card into a mobile wifi hotspot I purchased last year from IUSACell. I prepaid for three months of data and it wasn't cheap - 3,000 pesos for three months - but it gives me 13 gigs/month and the speed is great; 20mbps download and 8mbps upload. 

Cheers

Just so I understand, you use your cell phone as a hotspot for your pc and you are getting 20mbps upload speed? 13 gigs/month is quite a bit. How many minutes of video conferencing do you suppose that is? Could I get a sim card from IUSACELL for my current phone (iphone 5)? Thank you.

I'm not a techie so please take this with a grain of salt.

- It's not my cell phone but the principal is the same. It's a little standalone gizmo about the size of a deck of cards but thinner and it broadcasts a wifi signal but nothing else. Apparently it broadcasts up to 20 meters but I have it sitting on a table right next to me or out on the patio if I'm worried about the cell signal getting through the walls. It's 4G / LTE and uses the ATT cellular network to acquire an internet connection.

- I used speedtest.net and I'm getting >20mbps download and 10-13mbps upload and it's the upload that's the most important. My tech support says I have to have at least 2.5 but what the heck, more is better. 

- My video conferences last 90-100 minutes and typically burn through 800-1,000 megs per session. I only have six in January so 13 gigs is overkill but I have eight in Feb and 12 in March so 13 gigs is necessary.

- Yes, it's expensive but at this point I absolutely have to have a fast connection so it's the cost of doing business. Once I retire I'll happily toss it in the lake and Telmex will be more than adequate. 

Cheers

Thanks for the info. We are planning to move there in a  few months, but I was worried about the slow speeds I had been hearing about, as I will continue to work. I'll be transferring pretty large cadd files back and forth, but 13 gigs should cover it. Thanks again!

13 Gigs is just the pay as you go plan I chose. There are other plans available at better prices but I didn't want to commit to anything long-term. And no matter what plan you choose it's easy to monitor your usage and just pop into any Oxxo to add more data if you need it.

As an aside, the speed varies depending on Cell conditions (?)  I fired it up last night and hit 40mps down and 8mps up. Muy Bueno!

I believe that AT&T office is located in Chapala.

You can do this with Telcel as well. I chose Telcel because the AT&T coverage in Riberas is not good.

So, just for fun this morning, I disconnected my modem from Telmex and disconnected from Telmex on my laptop. Then, I went into settings on my iPhone 6 and turned ON the personal hotspot and then, on my laptop, chose iPhone to connect and entered the code provided on the hotspot section of the iphone onto the laptop.

Okay, so now I'm connected and the whole purpose of this exercise is to find out what the speed is....soooo....here ya go...

5958287102.png

And my NORMAL download is around 10 mb/sec and upload is 0.85 mb/sec on the 599 peso plan with telmex and I am in lower Riberas as I said before.

This hotspot deal with iPhones (don't know if other phones do the same thing???) is one of the reasons that I chose it. That and having Siri dial an emergency number when I can't get to the phone.

Options...I love Options!

Now back to my regularly scheduled, relatively slow Telmex modem.

What does it cost, per minute or per hour, to use the personal hot-spot as a source to connect a computer to the internet via WiFi, if I understand the process correctly?   Does it use up a data allowance, or is it included in your iPhone service plan?

There are different plans available with different data allowances for Telcel.  The info is on their website. http://www.telcel.com/content/telcel/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/telcel-max-sin-limite.html

I bought my iPhone outright so a rental is not included per month. I'm using the 299 peso plan per month and that works for me at the moment. Unlimited long distance within Mexico, to Canada and to the U.S. + 2000 mb data.

I would like to know if there is a way to figure out, from my laptop + Telmex connection, how much data I really do use a month so I can plan accordingly for the future. I download (not stream) all my tv programming to watch when I want to. Last rainy season was absolutely dismal on the consistent internet connection side of things. It's fine now but I'm not going to assume that it was an isolated case. Any help would be appreciated. T.I.A.

I use GlassWire to monitor. It's free. There are other programs for Windows that are "tidier", because GlassWire has extra features (in particular, firewall setup). https://www.glasswire.com/download/

There are any number of apps to monitor 'Net useage for Android phones, so I imagine a quick search will find you the same for the iPhone. But the iPhone also has a built-in monitor: https://9to5mac.com/2013/09/25/ios-7-how-to-monitor-track-your-cellular-data-usage/

The one I use on my Android also lets me set reminders to tell me when I've hit certain usage levels.

That is amazing!

Did you buy your "mobile wifi hotspot" at IUSAcell in Mexico or in the States? I understand that it only provides the hotspot for the internet and that you are not using your iPhone as a hotspot like I did.

If I download a couple of 1 hour shows (300 mb each) and surf normally, then my daily data use is around 1 gigabyte.  That is based on the delightful Glasswire that Computer Guy recommended. How much are you using for your teleconferencing?

I facilitated a 90 minute webinar this morning with one-way video from me to the participants. I was on-line for two hours and had to stream a large power point presentation in real time and maintain two-way audio for 17 participants. I used appox. 600 megs but I have no idea how this compares with downloading TV, although I know moving down from HD reduces the data quite a bit.

I purchased my hotspot last year from IUSAcell in Manzanillo but they're now part of ATT so I'm sure they sell them at ATT offices too. At the time I think it cost approx $200 CAD but I bet it's cheaper now.

I hope this helps

Cheers 

This showed up on the San Miguel yahoo group yesterday. If anyone looks in to this and has any info, please,  please. please let us know. We found the perfect house in Las Brisas yesterday but the dreadful Internet was a deal killer. Likewise if I get anymore info I will post it here.

Thanks Simon

As some people live in places where there is no service from Megacable and Telmex this often leaves people looking for alternative internet solutions.

IT HAS ARRIVED.

UNLIMITED Broadband Internet with NO THROTTLING from 4G/4G LTE Networks. some users lucky enough to get a 4g LTE signal get in excess of 50Mbps download speed. Your actual speeds are determined by the device you get and the signals available in your area as the SIM itself will connect to Telcel, Movistar or AT&T. however, few devices can connect to all three of these networks at 4G/4G LTE speeds.

I have a LIMITED supply of SIMs that you can use in an unlocked smartphone, and soon will have dedicated devices.

UNLIMITED Broadband Internet with NO THROTTLING from 4G/4G LTE Networks. some users lucky enough to get a 4g LTE signal get in excess of 50Mbps download speed. Your actual speeds are determined by the device you get and the signals available in your area as the SIM itself will connect to Telcel, Movistar or AT&T. however, few devices can connect to all three of these networks at 4G/4G LTE speeds.

I have a LIMITED supply of SIMs that you can use in an unlocked smartphone, and soon will have dedicated devices.

Using this SIM makes it looks like you are surfing the net from the USA so you get access to Netflix and Hulu from USA for example. NO VPN REQUIRED!

as an added bonus these SIMs can optionally offer a USA phone nuber and unlimited calling to USA , Canada, and Mexico. (phone compatible device required)

The SIM can also deliver unlimited data in USA, Canada as well as Mexico, however if you want to use it USA or Canada an additional fee is required, and you will need a device compatible with 4g of those countries.

In most installations, no external antenna is required, making insrtallation simple.

No contracts, cancel at any time.

By the way if you are in such a rural area and want a home or office fixed phone number we can help with that as well.

Mark

teknogeekz.com

415 123 2240

On 1/11/2017 at 11:46 AM, Ferret said:

And now I'm back to my regular Telmex modem and reversed the entire process...

5958341651.png

I get the speeds you are showing with my  TelMex prodigy $599 plan. With my TelCel hotspot on my phone, I just got 52.95 download and 4.99 upload - what a difference! I have a 4 gb a month data plan for 399 pesos a month on my cellphone plan with TelCel.

@dboisclair

Would you be so kind as to give us the make and model number of your mobile hotspot device?

I did look on Amazon.com for "mobile hotspot devices" and I'm assuming (like cell phones) that it should be purchased unlocked... but the choices are a little overwhelming. The fact that yours works here is a step in the right direction. T.I.A.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mobile+hotspot+devices

Sure, no problem

HUAWEI Mobile WiFi E5573

Purchased from Iusacell in Manzanillo last year - I think it was approx $200 but don't quote me.

I used it again this morning - download at 35 / upload at 12 and I used 1.2 gigs during a two-way video conference that lasted approx 2 hours.

I prepaid 3,000 Pesos for 13gigs/month for three months

Archived