Chapala.com Webboard

Water Theft LaVillita

Gerry

Our water is being stolen by our next door neighbor using a hose attached to one of our garden taps. What concerns me is that: i.) the water supply in La Villita, which is part of La Foresta, is not unlimited; and ii) La Foresta management apparently think that I am responsible for it if I do nothing to stop it. Of course we have shut off the outside tap (which is a nuisance)  but that only solves the problem so far - will the next step be breaking in when we are out? We also have other water sources: a pond and a fountain. The individuals involved do not pay their community fees and therefore their water supply may been cut down to a dribble which gives you some idea of the type of people we are dealing with. Can anyone suggest an appropriate solution to stop them doing this?

Seriously? One neighbor using one hose attached to one unmetered garden tap is a cause for concern? Happens frequently in many areas with exterior unmetered garden taps. Men getting water for their burros, filling up plastic containers to take to their families, etc. I don't understand your concern about this nor your involvement in pursuing this as if it is a major issue.

The situation is totally different from what you are describing. This is a situation where La Foresta pumps in a certain amount of water to our reservoir. The people next door are draining off our water to run their household. La Foresta has redfuced the supply of water to them because they will not pay the community fees and have not done so for a number of years. 

Although I agree to a certain extent with Al Berca's response, it is your water they're stealing not the Board of Directors' water. It sounds like the board has done what it can but thieves can be really creative.

So, ask the board, if it is permissible to cut their hose at the property line. I'm talking about their hose AND their connector to your outlet. Then stash it inside your house or throw it out with the garbage. On your property...yours. They will probably flip their hose around and you'll have to do it again but eventually they'll get tired of buying new hose and new connectors.

The only other alternative that I can see is to open up the wall inside and put a shut off valve on the line inside that cuts off the water to the outside. Drastic, yes, but it will solve the problem. It's always the few who spoil if for the many.

You've cut off the outside tap.  Take the handle off of it, unscrew their hose and toss it off your property.  Don't damage it, just remove it from your property.

That should take care of it.

This sort of thing is why so many fraccs have financial problems.  La Floresta does a better job of dealing with it than most.  They already know these people are stiffing the association on fees.  

The wasting of water is a federal crime in Mexico. But as with many other things, I have never seen any policing. In Riberas, there are many, many houses that let their water flow freely into the streets, whether it be pool-changing, septic, washing... hard to say. Two very bad offenders right now are the new Pemex station, which has had a leak for months that became somewhat of a stream down the road towards the lake, resulting in extreme potholes for at least a block; and the Presbyterian church who, even though they covered the road with gravel after a year of destruction, still have three drain pipes routing water into the street almost daily.

The damage carries on down the street, ruining the roads and causing great inconvenience for home-owners. I've knocked on doors over the years, but the most I've ever received in return is a 24-hour reprieve; the worst was only shoulder-shrugs.

It is always better IMO to quietly and without confrontation deal with problems like this and not involve the authorities, who may rat you out to the people you are reporting.  I see no reason to involve anyone and although it is a bit of an inconvenience, it is very easy for you to block the theft.  You should do so as not being able to steal water from you may force these cheapskates to pony up their assessment.

Or here's another solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Security-Systems-Inc-FaucetLock/dp/B00F22RGG2/ref=pd_lpo_86_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4BE0WB6WWP1XQB4AZTTH

I think MC has called this right. Too many people think that if you don't lock it up, that means it is free for the taking. A good idea for a reality show down here -"People Steal the Darndest Things". Could be as simple as removing the handle, usually pretty simple, then keep the handle inside and use it like a key whenever you need to use it. That sends a pretty clear message. If the neighbour wants to escalate using vice grip wrenches, then you escalate as well. Also watch your outdoor water heaters, people can hookup a water hose to the drain outlet, then turn the water heater off (usually off when you are not there anyways).

22 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

It is always better IMO to quietly and without confrontation deal with problems like this and not involve the authorities, who may rat you out to the people you are reporting.  I see no reason to involve anyone and although it is a bit of an inconvenience, it is very easy for you to block the theft.  You should do so as not being able to steal water from you may force these cheapskates to pony up their assessment.

Or here's another solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Security-Systems-Inc-FaucetLock/dp/B00F22RGG2/ref=pd_lpo_86_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4BE0WB6WWP1XQB4AZTTH

That faucet lock system is ingenious. Who knew? Thanks for posting this info!

I'm a south side Chicago Italian and experience has taught me that a baseball bat would solve the problem real quick ! Never mind calling the police . They won't call them either and they won't think about stealing your water ever again ! That's how we fix things where I'm from and believe me it works !

8 minutes ago, gcaschetta said:

I'm a south side Chicago Italian and experience has taught me that a baseball bat would solve the problem real quick ! Never mind calling the police . They won't call them either and they won't think about stealing your water ever again ! That's how we fix things where I'm from and believe me it works !

Well - that does not fix things down here - it just brings on a whole new world of pain and anger. Like Italian Americans, some of these feuds and disputes are carried over generations in Mexico. Always over some minor event which started it all - and no one remembers what it was.

You may be able to find the faucet lock at the Casa Plomero, near the top of the hill, mountain side, on the way out of town.

Otherwise, call a plumber, have him remove or thoroughly plug off the faucet, throw the hose off your property.

I suggest Arturo 3336612193.  I doubt they'll mess with him.

Can someone here who lives in La Floresta offer further suggestions?  Should LF security be called when the thief is being disconnected?

Steal their hose or keep cutting it off, they will spend more money on hoses than the water bill or call the police as the crime is en flagrancia they sohuld be immediately arrested

I'd like some clarification here from the OP: One, when you say you turned off the tap, did you mean outside where the tap is, or from an inside knob? (If outside, of course, that is a problem.)

Two, there appears to be confusion regarding where the outside tap is located: outside your walls, with street access, or on the wall of your house?

11 hours ago, Gerry said:

Our water is being stolen by our next door neighbor using a hose attached to one of our garden taps. What concerns me is that: i.) the water supply in La Villita, which is part of La Foresta, is not unlimited; and ii) La Foresta management apparently think that I am responsible for it if I do nothing to stop it. Of course we have shut off the outside tap (which is a nuisance)  but that only solves the problem so far - will the next step be breaking in when we are out? We also have other water sources: a pond and a fountain. The individuals involved do not pay their community fees and therefore their water supply may been cut down to a dribble which gives you some idea of the type of people we are dealing with. Can anyone suggest an appropriate solution to stop them doing this?

First sentence says "is being stolen"; then you say problem solved.   So no longer is water being stolen, right?   Situation resolved.

Then you ask "will the next step be".   Speculation and a non issue.   Not paying water bills, again not your concern.

my suggestion is to make the board aware of what has happened, what action you've taken and then forget about it.

Archived