Chapala.com Webboard

St. Remy du Lac

PULELEHUA

SunshineyDay - I searched St. Remy and found this (as Pulelehua stated a Nov post) " The route we took:   Turned off the carretera onto Las Flores (Don Pedro restaurant, French Bakery, new brew shop) heading makai ( toward the Lake.)   Turned right at Ocampo.   Passed the Panteon on the right.   Turned left onto San Pedro (first street to left after the Panteon.)  Kept driving until we noticed a newly painted wall (smashing tangerine color) and turned right onto a no-sign (LOL) street.   A young man was working outside #10 A and we inquired if a restaurant would be opening there?  Yes.  St. Remy?  Yes!   When?  Aiming for November 16.    The FB page for St. Remy du Lac also has "directions"  (click on "about") and gives the street address of Calleon San Francisco #10 which on Google Earth matches the above findings (do not use "search" as it will send you to Riberas; just negotiate to the neighborhood using the above directions and look for a U-shaped street east of where Urea dead-ends..    There seem to be more than one FB page so be sure to open the page that includes the SF address and has a photo of plated foie gras.    Two phone numbers given:  376-766-0607  and 331-603-7343"

The location is definitely out of the way BUT so was Emiliano Zapata and the parking is infinitely better at the new location:  they have their own parking lot.   Some of us will go very far - even to the stars - for an enjoyable meal in a lovely setting.   My plan is to get there this week and to encourage them to start posting their existence on the web board.

• 2 months later...

Go west on the Carretera and turn south on the street that runs between Don Pedro's and the Brew House (De Las Flores).  At Ocampo turn right and then at  the very next corner turn left and you'll be on San Pablo.  (Just as you're about to turn  left you'll notice the Ajijic cemetery to your right.  )At the next corner on your right is St. Remy but to enter their parking lot you have to turn right at that corner and go to the end of the property on which the restaurant is situated.  That short section of street is called "San Pedro".  If you were to continue past the restaurant parking lot the street curves around to your left (the name changes to San Antonio) and comes right back out to San Pablo.

One thing though.  With such limited hours of operation you'll have to be prepared, understand and appreciate that the prices are definitely above the Ajijic or Lakeside "norm" but are totally in keeping with what the restaurant is trying to provide to those who appreciate good food, good service and a pleasing ambiance!  They've had some "wrinkles" thus far but it will all likely work out to everyone's satisfaction soon!

Average entree is about $220-300p. FYI, Bruno's baseball filet is up to $225 and salad extra. Lamb shank at the brew pub is $160. So, yes they are a bit higher but considering the quality, good value. This was always the issue with No. 4. Face it, some people can't afford it but shouldn't bitch about it!

35 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Average entree is about $220-300p. FYI, Bruno's baseball filet is up to $225 and salad extra. Lamb shank at the brew pub is $160. So, yes they are a bit higher but considering the quality, good value. This was always the issue with No. 4. Face it, some people can't afford it but shouldn't bitch about it!

Thank you for clarifying prices, Tom. That is not outrageous for a high end restaurant.

I've had the privilege of dining at St. Remy when it was located at Tres Leones. Absolutely outstanding food, service and ambience. Worth every penny. The food was even better than Number 4 when Kim owned it.

Neither Number 4 nor St. Remy nor Go Bistro were ever part of our "regular" dinner dining but were reserved for more special occasions. I get to check out the new location of St. Remy's next week. I'm already salivating in anticipation.

We went a couple weeks ago. The food was very good ... but about on par with the weekly specials at Go (which is cheaper), not on the order of the amazing food we had at Allium a couple of months ago (which was similarly priced). The service was quite poor -- one server was actively rude, and the others were inattentive.

Personally, I only spend that kind of money for a meal a few times a year, and in that case I'd prefer to go someplace like Allium in Guadalajara -- it's worth the extra time and distance to get amazing food and good service.

We've always had excellent service at St. Remy.   The food is in a class by itself locally.  There have been only a few restaurants here over the last 10 years with such high quality. Chefs Manuel  and Laurant come to mind as welll as Greg and others at 4.   

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

Describe "bad and pricey" please.

I'm with you.  Food reviews are useless if they aren't specific about what was good and why, or bad......and why.  Pricey?  Well, how much was the dish?  How did it compare to other popular eateries?

Archived