Chapala.com Webboard

Updated/currant directions Chapala to Laredo

ElizabethK

It has been a while since anyone posted about the directions to Laredo..  Considering all the new road construction (if any on this route) What is the best route, taking into account safety and condition of roads, from Chapala to Laredo?  Google shows two routes but not any of the detours around SLP.  Thank you.

You will get many opinions about everyone's favorite route - and there are several ways.  I have tried almost every way available and have settled on my favorite as being the Aguascaliente, Zacatecas, Saltillo, Monterrey to Columbia bridge route.  I have given up on getting near San Luis Potosi due to the quality of the roads and too many incidents with the police in that area.  I prefer the Columbia crossing over the downtown Laredo crossings due to congestion and the difficulty getting in and out of the INM location in Nuevo Laredo.

Ditto what Ezzie said, but.....   Ezzie, how would you route a non-seasoned driver 'through' Aquascaliente?  I've been this route many times but some folks seem to have some difficulties getting across town here as there is not a well defined ' bypass' as at Zacatecas or San Luis Potosi.

Well, I have tried just about every way through Aguascaliente as well (Siglio XXI, 1914, etc.) but any more, if I am passing through around mid-day, I just drive straight ahead and go through downtown.  Seems to be well marked for signage and there are some nice buildings to look at, and it is even a fairly quick way through.  I don't recommend the truck bypass around the east side (Siglio XXI) since it is still very rough at the southern end.  Aguascaliente could really use a toll road bypass like most other cities of that size.

Thanks. I concur with you about Siglio XXI but I would change your words from 'very rough' to 'extremely rough'! Maybe one day they will finish the repair. AND also, that route has "1 million" signal lights. 

I have found that, if one is leaving Lakeside on a Sunday driving north, and leaves around daybreak, one gets to Aquascaliente in about 3 hours and traffic 'straight thru' has been, for me, very light at that time of day... again, on a Sunday.

We did that just once. On all other trips, we just stayed on 54 from Zacatecas south to Guadalajara and followed the Aeropuerto and Chapala signs from there.  Easy, with an overnight in Zacatecas.  Hotel del Bosque was always very nice, with secure parking and excellent food. No need to go into the city unless you want to.  Many do, as it is a very nice city, but the weather can be brrrrrrrisk. Elevation is over 8000 ft, I think.

Archived