Chapala.com Webboard

Cost of taxi/private driver to Tonala bus station?

bdlngton

Can anybody give me an idea of what it costs to take a taxi or private car service to the bus station in Tonala?  Please don't tell me about taking the Chapala bus to Alamo and them a taxi to the bus station as I am asking for someone else who is not comfortable doing that.

Last time I heard, Alex was pretty busy 'going to the border' and is often hard to get in touch with. Has this changed enough so that someone could get a ride to/from the bus station on fairly short notice?

I am guessing "nob" is one of my favourite Canadian expressions, spelled more correctly "knob", which is an insult aimed at doofuses. The etymology is unclear, but I would say it represents "You are as smart as a doorknob". Sorta like "hoser", which is used most often when referring to an "arse"...

What has changed is apparently there are some uber cars available in Chapala/Ajijic. A kind soul has suggested this number - 3311593486 . Really, it should be booked from a smartphone with the uber app. They used to require a Mexican credit card to activate your account - but I believe cash to the driver is now acceptable. Who is going to be our test subject? Don't forget that in well developed markets they also provide shared fares, but you will most likely be travelling with strangers - but saving a lot of pesos.

https://www.uber.com/en-MX/cities/guadalajara/

Uber says 788 pesos from Chapala Centro to Tonala Centro. In an uber SUV

• 1 year later...

If you have the Uber app, you can see the price before confirming the ride.  I do not have a Mexican credit card and use the same app here as I use NOB (north of border).  Just a couple weeks ago, I waited at the GDL airport for half an hour for a car that never showed, though the app said "Here Now" at the end of half an hour of waiting for a six-minute estimate that kept changing.  I had to cancel (incurring a fee) and reorder .  The app took me through two more drivers before one finally showed up.  The quote was for $264MX from the airport to San Antonio Tlayacapan but then they charged me $85MX and even though I wrote to Uber they did not charge me more and I still worry about that nice man who drove me home and hope they gave him the right amount for his driving.  Around town here, it has been hit and miss: two out of three Ubers showed up right away and the price was great.

Archived