Chapala.com Webboard

Robertos Restaurante

Bob Mct

I hate to knock Roberto's as we have enjoyed many many meals. On New years day a group of us were very disappointed in the quantity, quality of most meals & the very slow service. Roberto was about but we could not corner him with our comments.

No one is is perfect, just disappointed.

Had an 85th Birthday party there....everything was fine until the dog showed up(Black Rockweiller)huge dog walking around the table and then just a few feet from us pooped on the grass as the wind brought the aroma to our tables..of course he came back to visit us after his business. I guess Roberto can run his business any way he wants, but we will not be back......

My wife and I along with another couple had dinner there a few weeks ago. It was on a Friday night.

The place was quite busy and the waiter was running all over.

Food was fair at best and the service was also a mess.

We have dined there before and had a pretty good experience, food pretty good and service OK.

With so many good places to dine it may be some time before we return.

We have stopped going to Robertos based on the last few times we had dinner there.  Never tried their lunches.  There used to be a group of us go every 2-3 weeks but all have quit.  Too many good restaurants with good service.  I believe Adelita's has benefitted from Roberto's quality going down.

• 2 months later...

Have been to Robertos three times in the last 12 months. Every time it has been sub standard food thrown on the plate...no effort taken to present the food nicely. On our last visit, on plates etc matched and a number of our group including myself had cracked plates or bowls.  

Never again..

Great surroundings, but generally speaking average to below-average food. Some things are nice: the carrot croquettes come with every meal, and when they aren't burnt, they are tasty. Our favourite memory is getting pie with Crisco on top instead of whipped cream...

Of course my first visits were with my Mom and her friends when I originally came here on vacation. And for vacationers, it's just dandy. But repeated visits begin to reveal the rough edges.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Great surroundings, but generally speaking average to below-average food. Some things are nice: the carrot croquettes come with every meal, and when they aren't burnt, they are tasty. Our favourite memory is getting pie with Crisco on top instead of whipped cream...

Of course my first visits were with my Mom and her friends when I originally came here on vacation. And for vacationers, it's just dandy. But repeated visits begin to reveal the rough edges.

Crisco?  OMG.

It used to be one of my favorites, especially when they were at the lakeside and Roberto was in the kitchen.  The new location was lovely but after Roberto had health problems and took in Omar as partner, things started sliding down and have never recovered, even after Omar was gone.  Carrot croquettes are nice, but not after the grease has gone south and they become dark crunchy things.  I like the nice guy, but there are too many better choices nowadays.  I hope he can sell and enjoy a well deserved retirement.  The restaurant business is, at best, hard on a working owner.

• 2 months later...

I see over on TOB there are posters giving lots of leeway to the new owners. What I don't quite understand is... why? There reasons are "give him time", basically. But here is a guy who took over a turnkey operation, right down to the same cook and staff. And they have had "time" now. I postulate that if it ain't workin' now, it ain't gonna work.

We have eaten there several times since the new owners have taken over.   Every meal has been very good.  I love the carrot croquettes and have never had one that has been off or black or cooked with old grease.  The new owner is as nice as Bobby was and if you have a problem with anything he will be glad to hear from you and fix it.  If you have a problem with Sheba, the house dog now that Bobby has not been able to take care of her ... then you should probably not eat there.  But, then there are not many restaurants where you can eat that do not allow dogs under the table or on someone's lap.  I don't think it is very appetizing if Sheba goes poo right by you ... but, again, I have never in all the years we have been going there seen her poo or where she has poo'd.  I guess that you were just the unfortunate one.  Again, if there is a problem with Sheba you can just tell Robert and I am sure he will remove her from your sight while you are there.  Many of us love her and hope she has many more years ahead.

I don't know why a five month old thread for a restaurant that had previous ownership was started again, but..

Our group of seven ate there Thursday night after a two year absence.  We thought the food and service was top notch and agreed we'd return again.  The new owner seems very nice, competent and was on top of overseeing drinks and ice were replenished, but at the same time not intrusive.  We noticed a few changes in the food quality and he asked our opinion.  We liked it all. 

If you have a problem with cats or dogs this would not be a good choice for you.  The cat stopped by, but didn't get much affection from us.  The Rottweiler (that big, friendly bear) did get lots of attention and came back for more.  I wouldn't take my own pets to a restaurant, but I don't mind seeing well behaved and well loved pets wandering about.  I'm wishing the new owner continued success because the town needs more quality restaurant choices.

Roberto's is closed on Monday and Tuesday.  They still have 2 for 1 on Friday evenings.  It is the about the same menu but tweaked a little for the good.  It is cool and relaxing and great service and good food.  And, yes, we agree that there are not that many restaurants here that are as good or better so we really hope they are able to weather the negative reviews.

4 hours ago, tomgates said:

Maybe the dog haters can wear a sign around their neck so we can spot them and not make them uncomfortable.

How did you come up with the ridiculous idea that people who don't want to "dine with the dogs" are "dog haters"?  Many dog owners are simply considerate enough of others to not bring them to the restaurant, where some diners are allegic.  You're way off base, and........I'm sick of the subject, too, but I think that needed correcting.

• 1 month later...

Archived