Chapala.com Webboard

Increased upload speed

I do not recall seeing upload speeds this high. Perhaps they are improving our internet service Lakeside.

5928568804.png

Are others experiencing better service? I know I live in the area with the fastest speed on the lake (Riberas) but am hoping others are seeing improvement for 2017 as well.

Happy New Year, all.

I am in the  Las Salvias area, and my average upload  is 0.1 Mbps. An almost useless upload speed, since for applications such as Skype.  I can hear and see them fine, but they cannot see nor hear me due to the slow upload speed.  Emails with average attachments take forever to send.  Screen Shot 12-31-16 at 05.41 PM.JPG Before March 2016, I used to get  0.9 to 1.1 Mbs upload speed.  then it went to hell.  I have spent countless hours/days with Telmex  with several visits from them to the house, and  they finally told me that there is nothing more  they can do.  download speed , by the way varies from 4 to 10 Mbs at different times/days.  I have the 399 pesos per month pacakage.  Any suggestions to improve upload speed  appreciated.

1 hour ago, Aquaponicsman said:

I do not recall seeing upload speeds this high. Perhaps they are improving our internet service Lakeside.

5928568804.png

Are others experiencing better service? I know I live in the area with the fastest speed on the lake (Riberas) but am hoping others are seeing improvement for 2017 as well.

Happy New Year, all.

If this isn't just a one off it would be really really good news for the area. 

He's a lucky guy 'cuz I'm in lower Riberas. Damn! I got all excited for a couple of minutes there...on the other hand (knock on wood), I have had consistent service for a couple of months now, even when the wind is blowing. I'm happy.

5929096992.png

He's a lucky guy 'cuz I'm in lower Riberas. Damn! I got all excited for a couple of minutes there...on the other hand (knock on wood), I have had consistent service for a couple of months now, even when the wind is blowing. I'm happy. Telmex 599 peso pkg.

5929096992.png

Ferret, after looking at mine, you won't be so envious! Every time we tell TelMex that our speeds/service/whatever is horrible, we get blown off. Nothing changes, no matter how much we complain. It's so bad that I'm just thrilled that I can get online. Oh, and we pay the 999 peso package...probably 998 too many. We're in Chapala Haciendas...not exactly a priority.

: 5931928494.png 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, Tingting said:

Ferret, after looking at mine, you won't be so envious! Every time we tell TelMex that our speeds/service/whatever is horrible, we get blown off. Nothing changes, no matter how much we complain. It's so bad that I'm just thrilled that I can get online. Oh, and we pay the 999 peso package...probably 998 too many. We're in Chapala Haciendas...not exactly a priority.

Latest speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5980388279

Should I celebrate cracking 1.0Mb/s? (snark intended)

This is the information I got from friends in Brisas de Chapala

Ping                          Download                              Upload

48                                  1.44                                    0.30        at 1.50 pm today

94                                   1.36                                    0.24        at 11am   today

They have the $389.00pesos package

On 1/2/2017 at 6:00 PM, Tingting said:

CH only gets 1 mbps.  Telmex is installing fiber optic cable which will help CH get 3-5.  Doesn't make sense to pay for more than is being delivered by Telmex.  Pay 389 and get what you pay for.

The last time I got into it with TELMEX, the conversation went somewhere along the line of "If you can't get the speed up, get the price down"  I was paying the top price at the time.  10 minutes later, I was home and the speed was back up 

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You say that with some certainty, although I have not heard anything other than rumours.

The trucks have been seen in CH, workmen say they are installing optic cables, can't get a new router because it won't work with new fiber optic so have to wait.

Ah, the latest excuse from TelMex rears its ugly head again. Since Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) does not go into the home, but merely to the cabinet on the corner of the street, a special modem is not needed. Currently, all modems being distributed by TelMex are VDSL capable (except for the few outdated models they keep trying to recirculate), and are already using copper from the cabinet to the home.

If what they are saying was true, then no one in Ajijic who claims to have fiber would actually be able to use it. I'm still waiting to hear where exactly the supposed fiber is installed, too. The dual-band modems TelMex started handing out, then pulled back on... there is no proper infrastructure for those just yet, but they work anyway. They just can't get top speeds.

Further, fiber is almost never strung on poles. It is too expensive and fragile to risk it, so it goes underground in the vast majority of installations. In fact, TelMex has a lot to learn about cables... back home, many cable facilities are underground, connecting Central Offices to each other, and the conduits are pressurized with air pumps to prevent water getting in, to prevent corrosion and deterioration the cables. Wouldn't that be a nice change during the rainy season here, when our local TelMex knobs crank up the "it's the rain" excuses.

If, in fact, workers are actually in Chapala Haciendas doing some kind of installation, that certainly bodes well for the residents, although I have yet to see any or be notified of any.

Because I cannot get Skype working due to lousy upload, i am wondering if it's possible to get skype with my laptop in a wi-fi cafe. ??????   It is really annoying to be unable to skype. 

Aquaponics, I am in your same area, but, I'm sure my speeds are lower due to not being able to get my own Telmex(the "not enough lines" story). I'm sure that because I'm on the neighbor's system, it weakens the speed for everyone using the system, isn't that true? Like another poster said, I find myself lucky to be able to get online, however lame.

It's a shame to find the ideal location, and then find you can't get a phone or internet in the house. Telmex has said they would have more lines end of january. well, here it is. I'm supposed to be on some kind of list at telmex to recieve services when they have expanded the lines out here. Joke.

You would have to check at the actual Internet cafe, because they are unfortunately subject to the same lines as we are. Not too many of them around anymore, either.

With TelMex, as with any DSL, the speed does not go "down" as more people get on, unless heavy files are being downloaded. And being on your neighbour's system, I assume via WiFi, means you are already getting a terribly weakened signal just because of distance, if not because of your actual living location.

Riberas is generally pretty good all over, so perhaps your neighbour's situation can be adjusted for the better. All depends on the distance from their modem to your computer.

18 hours ago, virgogirl said:

Telmex has said they would have more lines end of january. well, here it is. I'm supposed to be on some kind of list at telmex to recieve services when they have expanded the lines out here. Joke.

For myself a least - even after telmex said I was on the list to get my own line installed it seemed I got faster service by repeatedly going into their office weekly to make an inquiry as to when it would actually happen, and sure enough I got my line in Riberas after 2 or 3 visits fwiw. Seems like bugging them works. 

18 hours ago, virgogirl said:

It's a shame to find the ideal location, and then find you can't get a phone or internet in the house.

I gave you the name and number of the concierge who didn't even hesitate to say he can get you a land line right away. He says they try to pull this sort of thing all the time. What he charges - I don't know, but you are certainly not going to pay him if he can't deliver.

My download speed is acceptable.  My problem is that the service runs, then stops for a while, then runs again, and repeat.  For most things that is not much of a problem.  But with some of my applications, the 4 or more second hiatus is greater than the buffer in the program.  Sometimes the program stops and restarts, but if the delay is long enough, the program quits.  Then I have to start it again.  Some of the stops exceed a minute.  Most annoying! 

Telmex said they would have to come and rewire me, but after 3 weeks, no luck.

Rick

Colo-Rick are you talking about examples such as youtube cutting in and out, skype cutting in and out? I have had skype quit completely in the middle of a conversation without video. 

I check into Telmex now and again for reports on the "lines they are putting underground" out here to create more lines. I'll keep checking but bullying them or hiring someone else to do it for me is just not my style of operation. 

Like so many say, at least i have internet until i gain more solutions. 

Archived