Chapala.com Webboard

Protest

HarryB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, the topic is helping the Mexican community with no cost and no real effort. Why can't we give just this little support with something that will ultimately help us also?

My point was that Harry has done and continues to do a lot for this community, expat and Mexican alike.  He doesn't have to prove that to anyone and those of us who know him well know first hand what I'm writing about.

I can't figure out how anyone could claim to live here 10 years and be a participant on this board and not be aware of Harry's many efforts to get things done, like finishing the Plaza for just one small example.  Or his many efforts to improve police protection and crime prevention.  

Or the work he's done with Hector to get the services we pay Chapala for to actually occur.  I could go on for quite a while listing Harry's work but I think most of us know just what an outstanding Mexican citizen and neighbor he is.

Sorry if the earlier post was misunderstood.  I should have quoted the post I was responding to.  It was immediately prior to mine.  And I stand by my comment regarding it.

17 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

How sad.!!! You don't care what someone says they are going to do....

To quote a line from a speech by Winston Churchill...

I judge a man by his actions....not his words.. "Words are cheap... Actions are priceless"

What has Harry actually done..can anyone give me an example of what he has actually accpomlished, alll he seems to is tell us what he's going to do...

Myself  I prefer action rather than words.... That is why I volunteer my time at two good causes around lakeside.. And have done for the last 7 years

I certainly did not get the impression that Harry is telling us what HE is going to do but rather what Mexicans in the community are going to do and, through him, are requesting the participation of expats to add strength to their movement.  Please do not shoot the messenger.

This is apparently a nationwide movement as I have also read about it on a Michoacan forum.  Michoacan seems to have experienced the gasoline shortages before we did locally.

It is totally legal to wait until the end of February to pay your property taxes.  You will still get the discount if you wait until then. You can even pay them later in the year but will pay more as you won't get the discount.

It is totally legal to not put gas in your car for several days.  Good luck finding gas anyway.  Yesterday the PEMEX on the libramiento had only premium/rojo.  However it's quite possible that the gasoline shortage will be over very soon as it's January 1 and the prices have gone up.  As far as hurting local PEMEX franchises by not buying gas during these few days, they cannot sell what they don't have anyway.

Protesting by not patronizing a business is a legal and a long-recognized strategy.  How many times have people posted on this forum that they won't patronize Walmart because of their business practices?  There are certain brands I won't buy because I disagree with their business practices.  That's my right as a consumer.

Again, give Harry a break.  He is the messenger.  He is not the organizer of this action.  He has not even stated if he agrees with it or not.  

Many of us are involved in activities that give back to the community.  Many charities here have been established by and/or are run by expats.  I personally believe that if you have been here at least five years and are not involved in at least one such group, you are not earning your right to live in this wonderful place.  There are so many ways to help and through those activities meet other like-minded, kind-hearted, generous people.

Thank you, Harry!  I do not ljve in Ajijic and am aware that much of your efforts are specific to that village, but I am thankful to anyone who takes on the thankless task of trying to convince the government to do what is best and right for the people and for often being the liaison between Mexicans and expats as well as expats and the government.

Harry worked with our former delegado for the duration of the delegado's 3 year term to improve many things here in Ajijic. The two of them got the free dental clinic brought in and the health center cleaned up and the health clinic working responsibly..  The cemetery was cleaned up and broken walkways repaved.

The handicapped  sidewalk ramps were a major project propelled by Harry.  There was much more.

You may have been in Mexico for 10 years but not here TelsZ4. 

By the way Harry is also involved in many "worthwhile philanthropic" projects in the area.

So many of your postings are very negative and are not very helpful.

Harry is a star that shines brightly and steadily.  Ajijic is lucky to have him.

Harry I will not buy gas for three days and not pay my tax bill, water bill or register my car until the end of February.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

My point was that Harry has done and continues to do a lot for this community, expat and Mexican alike.  He doesn't have to prove that to anyone and those of us who know him well know first hand what I'm writing about.

I can't figure out how anyone could claim to live here 10 years and be a participant on this board and not be aware of Harry's many efforts to get things done, like finishing the Plaza for just one small example.  Or his many efforts to improve police protection and crime prevention.  

Or the work he's done with Hector to get the services we pay Chapala for to actually occur.  I could go on for quite a while listing Harry's work but I think most of us know just what an outstanding Mexican citizen and neighbor he is.

Sorry if the earlier post was misunderstood.  I should have quoted the post I was responding to.  It was immediately prior to mine.  And I stand by my comment regarding it.

Would luv to respond to your post, but I know I can't .. Dont want to get kicked off.

But feel I must make one coment..   The plaza was finished because of the threat of losing the government funding for the project.. 

The reason they worked long into the night to finish the project was because they were approaching the deadline to have it finished. After which they would lose all the government funding they had been promised.. 

If you ever go to dinner at Manix or bump into Hector in the street, he could explain it much better than I can....

One thing about HarryB. that some readers here are not clear on is that Harry speaks fluent Spanish and is a vital link between the all-English gringo parallel universe bubble here and the local governments and local residents.  That alone is worth a lot.  Many gringos depend on him to voice their complaints/comments because they never learn the language of the country they are actually living in.  Harry is a volunteer "ombudsman".   For that, we all owe him a lot.  Neither Harry nor anyone else can wave a magic wand to make everything happen perfectly.  

I was thinking about buying a car, but now, I'll wait and see.  My concern has been that the buses have been getting more and more crowded in the last year or so, I don't know why - often packed like sardines, which I don't think is safe or comfortable.  The gas price rise surely will cause inflation as happened with the Arab Oil Embargo decades ago in the US.  We need to be considerate of our Mexican employees and give them cost of living raises to the extent that this happens.  We northerners are very fortunate to be enjoying the very advantageous peso exchange rate which does not trickle down to the Mexicans unless we spend and share more, which we all can do!  

As for protesting in any form, isn't the rule that foreigners cannot participate only in actual elections or publicly support specific political candidates?  It is my understanding that participating in other local issues is OK, correct me if I'm wrong.

Would luv to respond to your post, but I know I can't .. Dont want to get kicked off.

Baloney.  No one gets in trouble here for posting factual, non personal responses.  

I guess you missed the fund raisers that Harry and Hector organized to get much of the work done there.  It's still not quite done and Harry and I will be looking at how we can get at least the last few feet of wall cap on the south side by the map completed.

Harry's work speaks for itself.  I'll let him respond to your claim about the Plaza if he choses to do so.  

Suffice to say that was and is a complex situation that is still not fully sorted out.  And it is still not fully complete.

I'm sorry but based on the tone and content of your posts I sincerely doubt you know either Harry or Hector.  If you did, I think you might be more respectful and appreciative of their contributions to this community.

44 minutes ago, ezpz said:

One thing about HarryB. that some readers here are not clear on is that Harry speaks fluent Spanish and is a vital link between the all-English gringo parallel universe bubble here and the local governments and local residents.  That alone is worth a lot.  Many gringos depend on him to voice their complaints/comments because they never learn the language of the country they are actually living in. 

Well actually,one must give credit to Presidente Degollado putting in place a person for this very function. Her name is Gloria Parelas and she shares the office next to Presidente with Miguel Mendoza,Sec'y General, both of who are fluent in English. She usually spends Thurs. and Fri. in Ajijic. Some of us have their cell #'s. You can ask for an appointment with her by calling the main #. She would like to see something in writing on your subject when you meet and it can be in English and if it's not frivolous  and important to residents foreign or Mexican she can arrange meetings with el Presidente or any other relevant municipal personnel. Presidente does not speak English so if you do get a meeting bring a friend that can interpret.

I would like to thank everyone that has sent me a PM agreeing with my point of view..   Some of you commented that it is totally pointless debating with some of the poster's, you are not going to change their minds...  I 100% agree with you...

Some people need a hero to look up to....

Delaying paying your taxes or any bill for that matter until the last day. Isn't that just human nature... Not a protest...

iIf it is a protest then I've been protesting all my life..  I seldom pay my taxes, CC bill until just about the last day... Am I the only one...?

On 12/31/2016 at 4:49 PM, TelsZ4 said:

How sad.!!! You don't care what someone says they are going to do....

I WAS TALKING ABOUT YOU, SPECIFICALLY, BEING A WHINGER. I was trying to be polite, but you missed it altogether.

Just speaking for my self... I will fill my gas tank when I need to, will pay my tax's when there due.. Will Walt a week until the chords die down to get my vehicle sticker...

Who cares when you are going to get gas or pay your taxes?

You wanna talk about "words are cheap"? Where are your actions? SHOW ME.

Harry does not need to prove anything to you, or anybody else for that matter. If you had been a participant on this board over the last few years, you would know exactly what he has helped to accomplish.

And one thing he doesn't do is come here and complain. He asks for help. The last time I was at the offices by the plaza in Ajijic, fixing their computers as a volunteer, it was because of Harry's request.

Generally speaking,if someone accomplishes a bunch of things as a foreigner or foreigner who has become a citizen, around here. It won't just be spoken of on these forums by the alleged doer and a few other posters only,especially if it hasn't been accomplished yet. It would be written up in the Mexican media both English and  Spanish and maybe even in the persons country of origin.In addition,Government officials and "many" citizens affected would publicly thank the individual. I have no problem with TelsZ4's posts.

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Harry primarily works in Ajijic.  As a resident of Chapala you may not be aware of them.  Suffice to say that his efforts are well known here locally outside of this group.

As for your general statement, feel free to provide examples.  

My friend and I both live in Chapala. He has been here for 10 1/2 years and I for 8 and we are more than familiar with what goes on in the entire municipality which includes Ajijic as a matter of fact because of his involvement in many things,he is familiar with most of the municipalities around the entire lake and with persons from municipal,state and federal governments. here are a couple of examples for you about him,not me. He's the doer,not I and that's why he was given the Chapala flag.

guadalajara reporter-may 29,2010.jpg

chapala electionsab.jpg

19 minutes ago, bmh said:

That was years ago.....now is now...because one expat does one thing it does not mean the other does not do anything..

It's quite clear that Mr. Kertesz has done more than ''one thing" just based on the news story above and continues to have relationships with government and others in the area to help as he can. Yes one gets older and is capable of doing less but still doing what they can.the picture with the flag was last year not years ago.there were about 100 people present. How many of you know about the annual Jugueton and what it is? The video is December 2016 and this event for the poorest kids in the entire municipality of Chapala and some of the surrounding communities has been going for 10 years.

C

Besides Harry and his wife Chris, have found much respect and do not seek out praise in this community - they do this work because they believe it can help. Your friend foisted a puffery upon the gentle folks of Chapala, motivated by his unquenchable narcissistic needs and the opportunity to reinvent himself in an unsuspecting environment. Folks saw through that pretty quickly though, and now in his twilight years, he can't deny that he quickly became an object of ridicule and laughing whispers. Totally different situation with Harry and Chris.

Pedro Thank you for posting pictures of your friend Ned Small. I always enjoy your posts.

Ned is pretty small or short isn't he :) 

But lets get back on the subject of helping the Mexican community as Harry mentions below.

Not many people know this but when the residential school in San Juan Cosala was practically destroyed by the mud slide Maincoons and pedro actually worked together to raise funds for among other things, desperately needed electrical infrastructure. Maincoons and spouse personally donated $500 and opened a paypal account in the US for donations. Between the 3 of them they contributed  more than half of what  a large organization did and the person on that organizations committee had to be nudged to do it in a timely fashion so that work could begin. At first that organization promised to donate beds which were needed right away. but they were working by committee so driscoll showed up with 140 mattresses and enough tables and chairs for the dining room. Who was that person? By the way,I have great respect for that organization and most of their members.

Archived