Chapala.com Webboard

Protest

HarryB

Last night a group of Mexicans came to my house to ask for the help of the expat community.

They believe the alleged gas shortages are just an excuse to raise the prices significantly.

They also want to protest the increase in the local property taxes. They believe an increase is unwarranted considering the lack of basis services and the wildly expensive projects focused on.

They are asking that the expat community 

NOT buy gas January 1-3

NOT pay property taxes, water, car registrations until the end of february when all discounts are still in effect.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Cartero said:

Do you not think foreigners would be, or could be construed as, participating politicaly?   Grounds for deportation no?

Not doing something would be hard to prove as a protest as long as you dont admit it and even then you have the right to demand government services that you pay for (even though rate goes up and quality / services down).  You are not describing the corrupt political group that is in control of this debacle nor are promoting an opposing party so simply being to busy to make purchases certain days is no crime unless they send a driver to pick you up and pay.

I'm in Seattle, Yesterday while in transit I talked to a couple who had been visiting relatives in Michoacán who said all of the gas stations in their town were out of gas but that there were folks selling gas illegally from a truck for 25 pesos per liter. They further said the truck was parked next to a Pemex station.

Good luck down there. I shall be back soon

That is exactly what the Mexicans were afraid of. gringos who rush to pay because they are afraid of their own shadows and would not lend impact to their efforts. Facebook is alive with Mexicans offering to support the effort. But, foreigners who rush to pay taxes negate their impact. Why? What difference is there in paying taxes the beginning of January or the end of February? ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, Lulugirl said:

I guess you know different Mexicans than I do...

Harry the self elected leader of the community  knows the invisible Mexicians who are going protest, get up petitions.. ect ect...

If you read the thread about " Noise"  from a few weeks ago you will see the same story.

" A group of Mexicans from the community approached me about getting up a petition about the noise gringo bands make..."   They are going to be at the plaza and  and around town collecting signatures.

Did this ever happen........ NO.... 

Just speaking for my self... I will fill my gas tank when I need to, will pay my tax's when there due.. Will Walt a week until the chords die down to get my vehicle sticker...

6 hours ago, HarryB said:

Last night a group of Mexicans came to my house to ask for the help of the expat community.

They believe the alleged gas shortages are just an excuse to raise the prices significantly.

They also want to protest the increase in the local property taxes. They believe an increase is unwarranted considering the lack of basis services and the wildly expensive projects focused on.

They are asking that the expat community 

NOT buy gas January 1-3

NOT pay property taxes, water, car registrations until the end of february when all discounts are still in effect.

This is truly brilliant, Harry. The single most effective protest there is against an unscrupulous government or corporation is to screw up their cash flow. Done long enough and well enough, they will come to realize who really has the power. It is the consumer. We do not have to stop buying or go without gas for instance. But if we buy in a way that interrupts their cash flow and they don't have enough cash on hand to pay their bills when they are due, that will get their attention and cooperation faster and more effectively than any other form of complaint  or protest. Keep up the good work, Harry. 

50 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Harry has been helping out, unreservedly, for a lot longer than some of the whingers who have been posting here lately. As for the rest, I don't think any of us care at all what some people say they are going to do...

How sad.!!! You don't care what someone says they are going to do....

To quote a line from a speech by Winston Churchill...

I judge a man by his actions....not his words.. "Words are cheap... Actions are priceless"

What has Harry actually done..can anyone give me an example of what he has actually accpomlished, alll he seems to is tell us what he's going to do...

Myself  I prefer action rather than words.... That is why I volunteer my time at two good causes around lakeside.. And have done for the last 7 years

Groups of Mexicans visit me regularly. Like the group this week that wanted me to go see a 5 year old boy who has never walked and wants to. Or the doctors who want to build a local Dialysis Clinic and want help. They come often and I try to help. My BAD!

Harry, you`re the only one around here who actually gets things done.  The list of your accomplishments is very long.  Most of us appreciate your efforts very much. Don`t listen to the detractors. They`re Norte Americanos. Norte Americanos sit in front of their TV sets and do nothing but complain and criticise about things they no have knowledge or understanding about. They`re utterly graceless. Don`t listen to them. Keep on keeping on!

5 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Groups of Mexicans visit me regularly. Like the group this week that wanted me to go see a 5 year old boy who has never walked and wants to. Or the doctors who want to build a local Dialysis Clinic and want help. They come often and I try to help. My BAD!

Soon there will be lots more Mexicans coming to visit you...because you have cost them there jobs....

Only buying gas on certain days...what will that do to the government/Pemex..?  It will take a long time to trickle down..

The gas stations are independent franchise's trying to make a living for themselves and their employees.. 

I don't know for sure but I have no doubt that the gas station pays for the gas when it's delivered... So the government/Pemex has been paid, it's the franchise's cash flow that's interrupted.  If he isn't getting any business on a certain day or date..will he send his employees home with no pay for that day...Home to their wives with no money to buy food for their children....

So if we see even more women and children than we have now out on our streets begging for money ....We know who to blame.. 

7 minutes ago, Lulugirl said:

You have NO idea what others have done.

You are correct...Being a newbe (Only ten years)  I don't have any idea what he has done... That's why I'm asking for some examples..  Not just posts about what "I'm going to do"... 

As i said I volunteer at two worthwhile causes... that's is action not just words.. 

Another qoute I like is...

"Don't tell me what you have done....Show me"

Archived