Chapala.com Webboard

The Short Shortage

TelsZ4

A group of us rode a loop of 315 km yesterday here to Ameca, over to Magdelena, to Tequila and back via Tala.  Almost all the stations were closed.  One was open in Magdelena.  Some gas lines but it did appear most anticipated the problem and got gas earlier as we did.

There sure was no shortage of traffic!

It will be interesting to see if the "shortage" problem disappears in a few days at the higher prices.  My gut impression is that some localities seemed to be normal and some seemed to be totally out.  That may account for the differing accounts being posted here.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/31/2016 at 6:19 AM, Mainecoons said:

When I went to the Pemex in Ajijic yesterday around 4PM they only had Magna.  No lines though.

If the shortage disappears on Monday then we'll know.

Just another demonstration of why the organized crime syndicate we label "government" has no business in the energy business.

I second that!

Ya my theory since Friday when we noticed the stations starting to close but all the employees were still there, that Pemex said don't sell gas until we raise the prices on the 1st but we will still pay you to sit there and do nothing and guard the stations. Gosh be for real, what difference does it make, people buy gas when they need it.

1 hour ago, barcelonaman said:

Passed two pemex trucks on libramiento heading to ajijic at 8 am .absolute disgrace.

What was disgraceful about passing two Pemex trucks....?

I'm always glad to see them heading this way to keep our gas stations fully stocked...

2 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

It was a Miracle! All the stations ran out of gas around the same time yesterday and, Miracle of all Miracles, they got filled up overnight!

The news reports many Pemex stations closed yesterday due to the threat that was publicized not because they ran out of gas. The ones here in San Luis Potosí that closed were numerious and last night driving at 9 PM and early morning we only saw 1 open out of about 8 on that route. The one that was open had State Pólice trucks there. Today the same thing is happening. For 2 days there was no lineups to get gas since Thursday evening and all the Pemex stations were open until yesterday evening when most closed.

14 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

So how much is gasoline today?

"It should be recalled that a few days ago, the Mexican government reported that Magna fuel will rise 14 percent to cost 15.99 pesos per liter. Premium gasoline will increase 20 percent to be traded at 17.79 pesos per liter. And the diesel will increase 16.5 percent to reach 17.05 pesos per liter."

3 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

"It should be recalled that a few days ago, the Mexican government reported that Magna fuel will rise 14 percent to cost 15.99 pesos per liter. Premium gasoline will increase 20 percent to be traded at 17.79 pesos per liter. And the diesel will increase 16.5 percent to reach 17.05 pesos per liter."

Here is what the Washington Post has said about the price of gas in Mexico today.  Looks like equivalent to $2.85 a a gallon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/01/01/mexicans-are-outraged-over-a-big-hike-in-gas-prices-on-jan-1/

Unlike gasoline pricing for many, many years, in which PEMEX charged one price for magna, another for premium, and yet another for diesel everywhere in the country except at border areas, the price of gasoline is now all over the map--literally.  Although AlanMexicali posted information about the expected average price per liter, here's what the chart for the entire country shows:  http://noticias.autocosmos.com.mx/2016/12/27/nuevos-precios-de-la-gasolina-para-mexico-en-2017

And as we always say, YMMV.

On 12/31/2016 at 4:57 PM, TelsZ4 said:

A very good observation... We all can remember the gas shortage in the 70s. Now that was a shortage.. Nothing like the outage we here in Ajijic have experienced over the last few days...

I'm talking about over the last 20 years, when the influx of tourists over the weekends and holidays would deplete the very few ATMs and gas stations we had.... as recently as 10 years ago and less. One learned to stock up beforehand. In fact, until a few years ago, we only had two gas stations. I can't remember now when the one on the libramiento went in.

15.99 works out to about $1.03 CDN.which is the 48 hour low[Costco] for Edmonton,Alberta. Alberta's refineries are in Edmonton. I don't feel so bad now but yes this will translate into higher cost of goods across the board in Mexico. Pan has increased recently to 10 pesos from 9. was less than half that 8 years ago.

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It still costs more to drive on those seriously pricey toll roads than it does to buy gas. 

9 years later we are still spending a great deal less on gas than we did in Albuquerque NM because everything is either walkable or very convenient.

Factor in the rising costs of goods and services that will occur because of the rise in gas prices, i.e., bus fare, taxi fare, getting food and produce to stores and markets and it will probably affect spending across the board.  You may be able to walk to the store but what is in the store has to be trucked in.  Guess only time will tell how this will all shake out.

41 minutes ago, MaryPat said:

Factor in the rising costs of goods and services that will occur because of the rise in gas prices, i.e., bus fare, taxi fare, getting food and produce to stores and markets and it will probably affect spending across the board.  You may be able to walk to the store but what is in the store has to be trucked in.  Guess only time will tell how this will all shake out.

For sure!

Archived