Chapala.com Webboard

Corned Beef sources

Fred Habacht

I have been bringing in corned beef every year with no problems as we go thru customs into Mexico by car...but now they ask if I have any beef products. That includes canned dog food w/beef, Salami, Pastrami etc. I admit that I have been losing my nerve as I grow older...so now, as we prepare our last smuggled corned beef....I would like to try to obtain a "good" one here. I do not like Rick's, now Cydney's product....is any one else producing one?

Fred Habacht

5 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

I have been bringing in corned beef every year with no problems as we go thru customs into Mexico by car...but now they ask if I have any beef products. That includes canned dog food w/beef, Salami, Pastrami etc. I admit that I have been losing my nerve as I grow older...so now, as we prepare our last smuggled corned beef....I would like to try to obtain a "good" one here. I do not like Rick's, now Cydney's product....is any one else producing one?

Fred Habacht

Hi Barbara. I'm terribly sorry that you didn't care for our corned beef. I must admit that we've received so many compliments on our product that your post kind of surprised me. Just out of curiosity, how was it prepared?

Rick

You took this off topic - not I. But there are many people, some here locally who are very selective when consuming cow's milk. They know how to find the healthy, well cared, and well fed cow. Same as fine cheese producers are very selective, for "sweet" milk. A popular use of selective cow's milk are for those who wish to collect colostrum and/or consume raw milk. This is a very big deal for country people, actually, all over the world.

http://www.secrets-of-longevity-in-humans.com/colostrum-benefits.html

People should take a lot more interest in where their food comes from, and how it is prepared, how it is handled, how it is transported.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

You took this off topic - not I.

No, I simply disagreed, and I gave an example. I could have chosen the time-honoured pizza volley, or anything else. There are a few people on here who think the answer to every question asking where to get some type of food product needs to be answered with a "make it yourself", and that is just a ludicrous, unhelpful, and patronizing answer to an otherwise honest question.

And your additional "People should take a lot more interest in where their food comes from, and how it is prepared, how it is handled, how it is transported." begs the question: what makes you think we don't?

13 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

And your additional "People should take a lot more interest in where their food comes from, and how it is prepared, how it is handled, how it is transported." begs the question: what makes you think we don't?

I'm a foodie, and I like to cook, it's natural to me. I realise that not all people like to cook, or know how to cook, or simply want a break from washing dishes. You don't know, because these things are hidden by food producers and restaurants. Take a look at "Kitchen Nightmares" to realise that - and this was filmed in the U.S., with health inspectors, trained food handlers, etc. Hands up anyone been here at least five years who has had a bout with amoebas, salmonella, e coli, or worse, food poisoning? Ms. Chillin caught red tide poisoning from breaded and fried oysters, from a well known restaurant here. I had my first ever food allergy, and a night in hospital, eating KFC chicken in Puerto Vallarta. Apparently they were/are using a chemical flavour enhancer which has never been tested or approved for humans. How do they wash dishes and glasses in local restaurants here? Don't know - you should find out. How often do they clean and disinfect their coolers? Any of these questions will be met with - none of your business, or some sort of lie.

Food is medicine, food is love, if you don't care about trying to perfect these things, you may end up very sick indeed.

You are computer literate, so you would know the term "garbage in, garbage out". If you continue to eat garbage - you will become garbage. Simple as that. If you want to learn, try any book by Michael Ruhlman, he is a chef's chef.

So Chillin, are you implying that you don't go out to eat? I mean, this can happen anywhere; let's look at Chipotle in the U.S. as a recent (perhaps overblown) example.

I am also a foodie, and do have favourite things I like to make (I would never order spaghetti in a restaurant, and rarely order chicken because I can make that so easily and properly at home), but because I am a foodie I like to eat out when I can. And just because I make killer BBQd pork chops, I wouldn't tell someone who is looking for a good place, to make them instead. Heck, my popcorn is far superior to the local theatres', but I buy a large everytime I go anyway.

Archived