Chapala.com Webboard

Los Telares

ComputerGuy

Been to this lovely outdoor restaurant many times over the years, and perpetually disappointed. I go back every couple of years to see. Last night was no exception. All soups were lukewarm. Portobello salad was lukewarm. We watched as our plates piled up at the kitchen counter with no bell being run for service. We strained our collective necks in vain as our waiter continually disappeared.

We pointed out to the waiter, finally, that these plates were cold. He nodded and disappeared completely. I get so tired of getting up and finding someone else to complain to. Finally the main courses arrived. The Camerones Vampiro were large and nicely done, but the red wine sauce, which was not a reduction, should never have been brought near this dish, as the taste was just... weird. Both the vacio and the ribeye were very tasty, but lower than room temperature. I had to grab a bus boy to get it back to the kitchen because this was the third delivery in a row that was cold, and that's too much. Eventually my steak returned; not a new one, but heated up. We had both ordered medium, and both were bloody after the first few bites. I was disgusted and pissed off. The wait staff cared not. When we mentioned it, we got no response, just a turn-tail.

• Like 1

Interesting, because I always have good service and food at Los Telares.  I go there at least once or twice a week, and the waiters know me and bring my drink before I even have to ask for it.  And all the menu items that I've tried have been very good.  Never been disappointed there.  Been there as a solo diner, and with a larger group....same great service!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

Like the first posters I too have tried Los Telares sporadically for years.  Once I had good food and good service. There was a new manager.  He left and it reverted back to the usual poor service and nondescript food.

Pretty much our experience too.  I suspect this place survives on the overflow from Tango.

Nice serene dining area though, very much unlike Tango.

• Like 1

In fact, the only reason we were there is because Tango is closed on Tuesdays, and Cocinart was also closed. It was our last night out with family from Canada before flying back to the snow. So we figured "Ack, it's been a long time... things must have improved, right?". =sigh=

No matter how much the insanity of a busy Ajijic Tango, I still love their ribeye... but I can't bring myself to go there very often.

We used to go there occasionally, optimistically hoping that it would have improved since our last visit.  Alas.  Then, one Thanksgiving when we and a friend went there on a last minute basis (due to a culinary disaster), they had an outstanding buffet with the best turkey you could ask for.  Went there again, assuming there was new management or something.........with the usual letdown result.  It's not BAD, just not what it could be.  Love the garden setting, anyway.

• Like 2

Went there once it was packed. Food was good and service also pretty good. 

Tried it again a few months later when we were the only table. The waiter must have thought we were invisible, even when we would ask something he just didn't care and would dissapear talking to this kid (maybe his daughter). Food was also equally bad. 

Won't be back 

• 3 years later...

February 22, 2020: Place is under new management since last time. Everything was lovely. Service prompt, portions large, tasted great, huge bowl of soup, and of course the atmosphere is much more pleasant when everything is going nicely. Prices reasonable for these times. I will go again; fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2