Chapala.com Webboard

Does the Kayak Club still exist?

Kevin K

I can only tell you it still exists as of 2 weeks ago.  They meet at the lakeshore just below Maria Isabelle Restaurant (or, colloquially, the old posada), beside the pier.  I don`t know if they keep to a schedule.  Some of them before and after their kayaking hang out at the Restaurant.  I do not have contacts for them.  But you might ask some of the waiters at the Restaurant if they know where or how to contact any of the members or if they know when they do their kayaking.

Yes, we still exist! We go out 3 days a week. Monday at 4 pm, Thurs. at 8:30 am, and Sat. at 8:30 am. Thurs. we have lunch at Maria Isabel after kayaking so if you'd like more information and to meet some of the members come by around 11:30.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2016 at 1:45 PM, luvsdawgs said:

What are the membership dues and/or fees?

18 hours ago, Harry Bruce said:

I would like to know the costs as well?

The fees are as follows:

2500 pesos per year, 4000 for couple, for two years, 600 pesos per year after that.

1000 peso one time fee to rent space if you have your own kayak.

If you are interested in trying out kayaking we charge 150 pesos per day. You will need to be a guest of a member (this is never a problem as we are all happy to host new people). The fee includes use of the kayak, paddle, and vest. The member will also stay with you to guide you and help you. If you decide to become a member we also require that you take a safety test in the event you fall out of the kayak.

As stated previously we get together for lunch at Maria Isabel on Thurs. around 11:30. Good time to meet members and inspect the equipment.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Would the club consider opening your membership to SUP paddleboarders? I have been unable to find a paddle board group in the area. I will be returning to Ajijic for 5 months next November.  I am thinking of bringing my inflatable paddle board with me.  However, I am reluctant to venture out onto the lake alone and would appreciate the company.

1 hour ago, Ready Or Not said:

I was interested in joining the kayak club too until I went to a lunch meeting,,,,,very unfriendly and unwelcoming atmosphere.  Maybe the people involved have changed since then.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Don't know what the circumstances were. I'm a founding member and I might be prejudiced but I can't imagine a case when we've not been friendly and open to new members. We have had people who want to join not want to abide by our rules. Everyone who ends up joining the club must eventually take a rescue class showing you're able to rescue yourself or assist in a rescue in case a boat goes over.

As to SUP's we don't have any members that are using stand up's at this time. We originally only had sit-in kayaks but have since gotten some members who use Hobie sit on top so who knows what we might add in the future. We are starting to get limited in space.

23 hours ago, dcstroker said:

Sorry you had a bad experience. Don't know what the circumstances were. I'm a founding member and I might be prejudiced but I can't imagine a case when we've not been friendly and open to new members. We have had people who want to join not want to abide by our rules. Everyone who ends up joining the club must eventually take a rescue class showing you're able to rescue yourself or assist in a rescue in case a boat goes over.

As to SUP's we don't have any members that are using stand up's at this time. We originally only had sit-in kayaks but have since gotten some members who use Hobie sit on top so who knows what we might add in the future. We are starting to get limited in space.

It wasn't a problem with the rules at all, the people did not seem interested in having a new member, I found the atmosphere very cliquish and indifferent.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ready Or Not said:

It wasn't a problem with the rules at all, the people did not seem interested in having a new member, I found the atmosphere very cliquish and indifferent.   

Sorry that was your experience. We have a fairly diverse group of paddlers, from 80 years old with 65 years of experience to visitors who have never been in a kayak. We try to match newcomers with more experienced kayakers so that everyone has an enjoyable time.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, BeelzebubUK said:

Hi. Is the club open all year round ? I was interested in trying it out and would like to come by in a couple of weeks time. 

Yes, open all year. We do get the occasional day when the wind kicks up and waves get to 2' or 3' so we might sit it out. Look forward to seeing you.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We are moving to Lakeside in a few weeks and I’m debating whether to bring our 2 sea kayaks from La Paz. 

Do you have storage available for two sea kayaks starting in August? I plan to become a member upon arrival unless I can do this online before we arrive. I’m nervous about bringing the kayaks unless we have a secure place to store them. 

Thank you!

Are you one of the people that we met at lunch yesterday? If not, have no worries about bringing your own boats down. Best to check with the club first though as to availability of room. We're building a new rack so still have space available.

• 11 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, dcstroker said:

The fees are as follows:

2500 pesos per year, 4000 for couple, for two years, 600 pesos per year after that.

1000 peso one time fee to rent space if you have your own kayak.

If you are interested in trying out kayaking we charge 150 pesos per day. You will need to be a guest of a member (this is never a problem as we are all happy to host new people). The fee includes use of the kayak, paddle, and vest. The member will also stay with you to guide you and help you. If you decide to become a member we also require that you take a safety test in the event you fall out of the kayak.

As stated previously we get together for lunch at Maria Isabel on Thurs. around 11:30. Good time to meet members and inspect the equipment.

I have guests coming to Ajijic in a few weeks. Can anyone comment on the daily rate (rental, correct) and Thursday is the day at 11:30?

Any info helpful.

• 4 years later...