Chapala.com Webboard

possible border problem with car

JoeM

Three years ago, I pulled an rv from Colorado to Kino Bay. I paid $200 at the border as a bond for the pickup which I was to get back when I returned. When I got near the border, returning, I accidentally passed the office at which I was to return the sticker and get my $200 refund. The only way to get back was to turn around in the States, and go through the customs stuff again. I elected to just forget the $200, and came home.

Now, I am planning to drive another pickup, without an rv, to Lake Chapala. I am wondering if I will have problems at the border due to the failure three years ago to return the sticker.

I do still have the pickup and the sticker is still in place. I could drive that pickup, but prefer the other, newer one.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of problem?

You will not be able to take the new truck into Mexico, as your old truck “is still in Mexico“, and now illegal, as far as their records are concerned, and you cannot change that fact.  So, what to do?  Your best bet is to drive the old truck back into Mexico and then turn around and exit the correct way; stopping at Banjercito and having them remove the sticker and give you a receipt.  Keep that forever.  Then, after a suitable delay and maybe a change of entry point, you can attempt to temporarily import whichever truck you prefer.  You could be subject to a fine; I don‘t really know, but at least you will be legal again.   Buena suerte.

Thanks. I haven't gotten a new passport, and don't want to get married just to solve this problem. I'm in central Colorado, so driving across the border and then returning home, only to leave again is not a palatable option.

If I follow rvgringo's advice, how do I persuade the border people that I haven't been in Mexico illegally for the past three years, and am just now leaving? 

Bummer

Can try this email  itvnet@banjercito.com.mx

Happy Holidays

Sonia

57 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

If you have gotten a new passport in the intervening 3 years, you can bring your newer truck in under that passport.

I would not bet my life on that option working..  But it's Mexico, you just never know..

Two years ago I tried to cross in Texas at the same crossing I've used for the previous 9 years with a new passport and new truck. I had forgotten that I had a copy of the ownership and not the original in the glove box, the truck was refused entry. The young lady at the wicket was very nice, even apologized for not letting the truck in. 

She said to me.." If I had any one of the vehicles I had crossed with before she would let me in with a copy.. But as this was one I had never crossed with before she needed to see the original.... 

Back in 2004 we did the same as you, missed the office.  I emailed banjercito, back and forth with lots of documents scanned, and finally they mailed me a paper showing our old vehicle was out of the system.  Mind you this took almost seven months of emails in 2004, so maybe now would be easier, if still possible.

See if your nearest Mexican consulate will have a vehicle return day before you leave, they did in Denver October 7th and 8th of this year and maybe they will do it again soon. 

On 12/24/2016 at 4:22 PM, Yo1 said:

If you have gotten a new passport in the intervening 3 years, you can bring your newer truck in under that passport.

That used to be the case, but as far as I'm aware, it is all computerized and cross-referenced now, so they can look you or your vehicle up by name, passport number, vin #, etc.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

That used to be the case, but as far as I'm aware, it is all computerized and cross-referenced now, so they can look you or your vehicle up by name, passport number, vin #, etc.

Nope not in my experience

It looks like I'm going to have to drive the truck with the sticker and have the sticker removed, after which I return to the US and turn around and enter anew. I don't relish returning to the US in Juarez due to the long lines, but crossing somewhere else will require a lot more driving.

7 hours ago, JoeM said:

It looks like I'm going to have to drive the truck with the sticker and have the sticker removed, after which I return to the US and turn around and enter anew. I don't relish returning to the US in Juarez due to the long lines, but crossing somewhere else will require a lot more driving.

My mapping software shows Ajijic to Juarez -1604 Km or 997 miles

Ajijic to McAllen - 1161 km or 721 miles

Ajijic to Laredo - 1129 km. or 702 miles

Happy motoring...

8 hours ago, JoeM said:

After driving from Colorado Springs you do not have to re-enter into the US unless you choose to. Have TIP removed and apply for another.

Happy New Year

Well, I drove to Columbus,  NM on January 1 and tried to cross. Turns out the vehicle permit was for both the truck and an rv. When I told them the rv has been sold, I was told I had to get it back or prove it has been sold. The next day, I tried at Santa Teresa and was again rebuffed, in spite of my considerable charm. So I drove the 660 miles home, cursing myself for not having the permit checked off three years ago.

I was lucky enough, though, since then, to lose my passport,  and have applied for a new one which, of course, will have a different number. So, I pick up this new passport Tuesday,  and will head south again on Wednesday in the new truck. I dearly hope to get across this time. But, now I'm  wondering if I should bring along papers proving I returned with both the truck and rv three years ago. And, what sort of proof would that be for the rv? A copy of a bill of sale? A notarized affidavit from the buyer? I'm assuming that the Mexican border people can't read English any better than they speak it, and these documents would mean nothing to them.

The only document they will accept is a banjercito receipt for the sticker and original Importada Temporal documents, which show the camion + remolque; truck and trailer.  Nothing else will work.

So sorry that you lost your passport.  ;)

You can show a receipt of sale, but NOT at the border.  You have to contact them at the head office in Mexico City before you attempt to cross the border.     Trying with new passport may work unless the system has been changed to show VIN with or without a name attached.

16 minutes ago, monica40 said:

You can show a receipt of sale, but NOT at the border.  You have to contact them at the head office in Mexico City before you attempt to cross the border.     Trying with new passport may work unless the system has been changed to show VIN with or without a name attached.

Note that both the Banjercito database~computers and the Aduana database~computers   have been   tracking & sorting & searching our Permisos de Importación de Vehiculas Temporales information   using  any one of:   Our name,   our permit number,   our passport,    our INM visa permit numbers,    the Vehicle VIN,  and even our addresses,     since at least 2012.

I personally have watched both Aduana & Banjercito personnel search the Temporary Import permit records since 2012,  for 3 different vehicles that had even minor issues with their permits,   expirations,  etc.  ,   and it is clear that all of those individual data fields are present,  and the Aduana & Banjercito personnel both searched on them.

For these reasons,    it really has been a myth-passing-around-expat-dialogues   that    'changing your passport number'   somehow shields us from problems or fines related to our Permisos de Importación de Vehiculas Temporales    (aka TIP's )

Archived