Chapala.com Webboard

URGENTLY need new eyeglasses made...

DeborahM

My son is visiting from Canada and has lost his eyeglasses. He has his prescription with him. He has very poor vision and urgently needs new glasses produced asap. We have visited three optometrists in the lakeside area...nobody can produce until January 3rd. We have researched exhaustively with no success. We did find one place in Guadalajara that advertises they can produce single vision lenses in  one day...they are closed until January 4th! We would be SO grateful for ANY suggestions. Thank you. 

Best of luck on Christmas Eve. I feel your pain. I always travel with a spare pair of the $19 variety in case of loss or breakage. No need of the prescription as they can read the glasses with their machines.

Google it and see if anyone could get them to Mexico sooner than waiting locally. I assume at this point cost is not the main factor.

CSOKI,

I think those are just reading glasses, not for distant vision.

The availability of many things will have to wait until after the “Three Kings Day“, and then some.  Many businesses will not be back into full operation until the second week of January.

Here's a suggestion. Lots of trouble and $$, but quicker than Jan 4th.

In San Francisco and now in Los Angeles, there is an optical shop called Jin's. Japanese brand store. GREAT customer service, nice and friendly people AND an in store optical shop.

You can have single and bifocal lenses made in 1 day and they are not very expensive, to my mind. Of course, I usually wear trifocals, so when I have an emergency pair of single vision or bifocal glasses made, it seems so reasonable. 

I sent them my Rx via a picture from my iPad, and my glasses were waiting for me when I stopped in the store.

It would be $$, but you could perhaps get the glasses made and have them shipped to someone you know or to a FED EX facility. Then forward them here.

I wish you the best of luck.

Those of us with poor vision should always have a spare pair and travel with them. I label mine with my name and address and email. 

Deborah - Is his prescription complicated? I have spare glasses I could lend or give him for the interim if the prescription is close. I'm nearsighted and my prescription is pretty straightforward -- single vision -5.75 in both eyes, no astigmatism.
Let me know if he could use my glasses. Trying to get by w/o my glasses would be very .... impressionistic. And Mr. Magoo-ish. I sympathize.

1 hour ago, phil in mexico said:

There is a optical shop in Chapala that does glasses really fast and reasonable I'm pretty sure it's not too far from the Chapala post office, it's a little family run shop ,best of luck !

Carlos Minz

Ussual Servicio Express

Degollado # 333

765-3436

6 hours ago, phil in mexico said:

There is a optical shop in Chapala that does glasses really fast and reasonable I'm pretty sure it's not too far from the Chapala post office, it's a little family run shop ,best of luck !

Beware, I went there and one lense was not correct and he told me to get use to it. And the tint on the lenses was window tint and it peeled off. He was not cheap either.

Archived