Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
AlanMexicali

Gasoline shortage!

Recommended Posts

This afternoon, the Pemex on the main HWY to Guadalajara (at the intersection of the Libramiento) was limiting purchases to 300 pesos (automatically, the pump shuts off at 300).  However, the attendant offered to have me pay and he'd give me another 300 if I wanted.   It just had to be in 300 peso increments.  So not exactly rationing. I only needed 300 pesos worth, so I didn't need a second shot. But I think this attendant doesn't quite understand the point of the 300 peso shut off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visiting in Leon for the Holidays, we noticed that one day there were 2-3 stations closed with "no gas" signs. That afternoon, there became lines at several stations. Two days later, we saw those stations with "no gas" signs "open" with lines of cars and they sold out in one day. Looks to me like they wanted to sell out and pulled a hoax, so they could have a good Christmas. It seemed to work, as many began selling out, then days after, were open again. I think the public was taken advantage of in this scam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or they filled the storage tanks and later sold out. The stations are privately owned and no one wants to not be selling gas nor their employees not having income. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a scam, poor Mexican people who will pay for waste and with oil prices at half of what they were 10 years ago, will be paying double what they paid 10 years ago.  We all will pay more with hyperinflation, people in Chapala are lucky they dont take 3 to 4 buses per day and can live on locally grown products.  The city folk will pay a high price.  Inflation will surpass the increases in wages and impoverish more people but then again nobody promised anything they just sold them pretty colors and gave them gift cards and sandwiches. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure most know this, but anyway....Never fill your vehicle up at a station when you notice the tanker truck is filling the station´s tanks.  The debris at the bottom of the underground tanks is oftentimes stirred up in the process-  Then this is pumped directly into the gas tank of your vehicle when filling up.  The result is your fuel pump filter becomes clogged when you are about 10 km away from the Pemex.  No fuel, no go like a Chevy Nova.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically, that is just an urban myth. I worked for Shell Canada for a while, and I can tell you that is categorically wrong, for a number of reasons, all having to do with regulations, safety, and numerous preventative filters and protocols. It's like saying gas stations water down their gas.... good luck to your engine if that ever happens; you won't get home in time to tell us about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Ironically, that is just an urban myth. I worked for Shell Canada for a while, and I can tell you that is categorically wrong, for a number of reasons, all having to do with regulations, safety, and numerous preventative filters and protocols. It's like saying gas stations water down their gas.... good luck to your engine if that ever happens; you won't get home in time to tell us about it.

Urban myth? Maybe in Canada but not in Matheuala, SLP.  Been there done that, call any mechanic there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kiko said:

Urban myth? Maybe in Canada but not in Matheuala, SLP.  Been there done that, call any mechanic there.

Water (Condensation) tends to build up in your gas tank over time especially if you constantly let your get really low.. Or leave the vehicle sitting for long periods with an almost empty tank.. 

If a gas station waters down the gas enough to cause a problem it doesn't just cause you a problem it causes everyone who filled up from that pump a problem..

And you can't keep that quiet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another myth.

Myth: Don’t run your tank under 1/4 full in the winter. The water in the tank will ruin your engine.

As mentioned in the watered down fuel myth, water in the gas tank would cause a huge problem. But don’t fear, you can run your tank down without worry in the winter too. As water is heavier than gas, it would drop to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump pickup would suck it up before the gasoline, even with a full tank.

While a miniscule amount of moisture can accumulate in the tank in the humid months, winters has very low humidity and the tiny bit of moisture in the tank in even the most humid places isn’t enough to cause any problems.

Because water and moisture are something you don’t need to worry about, products that claim to remove fuel tank moisture are a waste of money. Ask your friends how many of them use these gimmicks during winter months and how many have had issues with water in the fuel system. You’ll find that those who have never used them have no issues. Save your money."

Myth: Cheap gas stations water down their gas.

If there’s water in the gasoline, you’re going to find out with a quickness. Unlike gasoline, water does not compress. Water in the combustion chamber will quickly blow a head gasket or bend a rod, killing an engine in spectacular fashion.

Water and gas don’t mix. The gasoline is lighter than water and will sit on top of it in the fueling stations tanks. Because the pickups are at the bottom of the tank, any water will be first to be piked up and pumped into a customers gas tank. Straight water wouldn’t even get that car out of the parking lot if it were to happen.

If a gas station was to water down their gas, it would quickly cause huge problems for their customers... That practice went out with glass-bulb gas pumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Another myth.

Myth: Don’t run your tank under 1/4 full in the winter. The water in the tank will ruin your engine.

As mentioned in the watered down fuel myth, water in the gas tank would cause a huge problem. But don’t fear, you can run your tank down without worry in the winter too. As water is heavier than gas, it would drop to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump pickup would suck it up before the gasoline, even with a full tank.

While a miniscule amount of moisture can accumulate in the tank in the humid months, winters has very low humidity and the tiny bit of moisture in the tank in even the most humid places isn’t enough to cause any problems.

Because water and moisture are something you don’t need to worry about, products that claim to remove fuel tank moisture are a waste of money. Ask your friends how many of them use these gimmicks during winter months and how many have had issues with water in the fuel system. You’ll find that those who have never used them have no issues. Save your money."

Myth: Cheap gas stations water down their gas.

If there’s water in the gasoline, you’re going to find out with a quickness. Unlike gasoline, water does not compress. Water in the combustion chamber will quickly blow a head gasket or bend a rod, killing an engine in spectacular fashion.

Water and gas don’t mix. The gasoline is lighter than water and will sit on top of it in the fueling stations tanks. Because the pickups are at the bottom of the tank, any water will be first to be piked up and pumped into a customers gas tank. Straight water wouldn’t even get that car out of the parking lot if it were to happen.

If a gas station was to water down their gas, it would quickly cause huge problems for their customers... That practice went out with glass-bulb gas pumps.


Realiiies or Myths:
Myth 1 verified as real: We lost prety the entire fuel injection system on our Volvo wagon, (fuel pump & injectors & fuel distributor),  when a we got gasoline from a station where they were fiiling the tanks. Within 1 mile from the station, our normally robust car started running horribly,   slowed to a crawl,  and then  sputtered & shut off.     I personally drained & collected over ½ gal of nasty brown heavily-sedimented  water from our car's gas tank.   The station owner ultimately reimbursed us for $1,200 in repairs.     Other drivers who bought gas later that day had no problems...   just the cars that were fueling during the tank filling operations.  
Sometimes the best intentioned government protection systems    don't work. ;) 


Myth 2 verified as real.   Note that in the USA much of the gasoline contains a lot of ethanol.   Basic solubility chemistry shows that gasoline + water do not mix,   but....  add some  ethanol   and   the water is quickly dissolved~absorbed  into the gasoline. ... This is why mechanics up in the cold frozen north used to love it when the first freezing days came, and people dumped "Heet"  (pure alcohol) into their gas tanks.

The sediment-laden water layer that normally sits undisturbed (growing steadily) in the bottoms of our tanks,  collecting~accumulating  years of sediments, trapped in that water layer.    ...   Add one dose of   corn-ethanol-gas    or one dose of "Heet" - and    those years of accumulated water & sediments are swept into the fuel system =>  mechanic trips.    Both basic chemistry & auto  mechanics verity  that the supposed myth,  is real,  when people add fuel additives   or   the govt puts corn-ethanol into the gas.


Myth 3 verified as real:   When there's alcohol added to the gasoline,   the gas stations can literally water-down-their-gas,  because even a little ethanol causes the water to dissolve in the ethanol-gasoline mixture.     ...   Because the water is mixed in the gas,     the motors do   not   "seize up" .

Enjoy the New Year !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a social media e-mail going around to not buy Pemex gasoline on January 1st, 2nd or 3rd. A form of protesting the raising of gas prices. Also calling for a demonstration in CDMX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2016 at 10:43 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Just got a report on the other board that the Pemex on the libaramiento is limiting purchases this morning.

I just returned from that gas station and filled my tank up to 620 pesos.  They weren't limiting purchases this morning.   No gas was available at the Pemex on the carretera on the mountainside in the centre of Ajijic today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2 stations west of Ajijic are also shut down. Could be an interesting weekend when the Guadalajara visitors run out of gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish Gal said:

I just returned from that gas station and filled my tank up to 620 pesos.  They weren't limiting purchases this morning.   No gas was available at the Pemex on the carretera on the mountainside in the centre of Ajijic today.

I got regular gas there around 3.30 this afternoon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Why stop at Jan 1st 2nd and 3rd.. Lets boycott Pemex all together...

Sure, I'd like to but where to buy gas then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh for sure!

Consumers line up with their gas containers as shortages continue.

Quote

Gasoline shortages could get worse

 

Pemex unable to resolve supply issues; panic buying also blamed
 
Mexico News Daily | Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Gasoline shortages continue in at least 13 states, resulting in long line-ups at gas stations, panic buying and unrest among consumers as Pemex has been unable to resolve supply problems.

The affected states are Aguascalientes, Guanajuato, Michoacán, Zacatecas, Oaxaca, Chihuahua, Guerrero, Morelos, Jalisco, Puebla, Tlaxcala, Durango and San Luis Potosí.

 

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/gasoline-shortages-could-get-worse/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

There never was a shortage..  There was an outage caused by the increased holiday traffic, and gringos running out to top up their tanks...

Just watch mexican tv and read the papers to see how wrong you are!

Cant see many panicking gringos in that photo either !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2016 at 9:18 AM, More Liana said:

The gasoline 'shortage' is a manipulated shortage that will magically disappear as of January 1, 2017, when the price of regular gasoline at the pump is expected to increase by as much as 3 pesos per liter.  The price of gasoline will increase as much as 22.5% during 2017.  The price increases are said to be due to the peso/dollar exchange rate.  

Here are links to a few articles about it.  

http://expansion.mx/economia/2016/12/12/gasolina-mas-cara-a-partir-de-enero-de-2017
http://eleconomista.com.mx/alza-gasolinas
http://sipse.com/mexico/meade-confirma-alza-precio-gasolina-2017-235380.html

Beginning on Sunday, December 25, I have posted several articles about the on-going gasoline shortage.  It annoys me no end that no one apparently bothers to read them, or if you do read them, you think for some reason that the newspapers are lying to you.  Expansión and El Economista are the most-respected financial newspapers in the country.  High government officials have confirmed the price hike.  This is MEXICAN news, affecting every Mexican and everyone who lives in Mexico, it's been published in MEXICAN newspapers and on MEXICAN television since the announcement of the price hikes was originally made.  All of you who speculate that it's trickery directed at foreigners, that it's caused by someone stealing from pipelines, that it isn't really a shortage because YOU got gas, that the price isn't really going to go up: I invite you to open any of the three articles above and, if you can't muddle through the Spanish, run it through a computer translation program.

I continue to contend that this present gasoline shortage is manipulated by the government to (a) cause panic among an already desperate populace, and (b) retain any currently available gasoline until January 1, when the price will rise more than it has ever risen in the past.  Remember at the beginning of 2016 that Peña Nieto promised no more monthly gasoline price hikes?  He's scooted around that--the price hikes are likely to be weekly during 2017.  The government does not care about its citizens, it does not care about you, and it does not care about me.  The Peña Nieto puppet government, the most corrupt government EVER IN MEXICO and operating under the control of former president Carlos Salinas de Gortari--remember him?--the one who stole everything in Mexico that wasn't nailed down and upon his exit from the presidency in 1994 caused a devaluation of the peso that was as bad as the 1929 stock market crash in the USA--cares only about loading up its own coffers prior to its exit in 2018.  Peña Nieto has sold off the country to the highest (or sometimes ONLY) bidders, and we will all pay the price.  If you're squeaking by in Mexico on a low Social Security retirement, get ready to tighten your belts.  2017 is not going to be pretty.

What you fail to look at is the effect the enormous gasoline price rise will have on you personally, whether you own and drive a car or whether you take the bus or whether you walk wherever you're going.  The price at the pump will rise at least 15-18% in January 2017 alone.  The prices of any goods that must be moved from one place to another in Mexico will also go up. That includes meat, fresh produce, and everything else sold at a grocery store, whether it's the corner abarrotes or Costco.  It includes clothing and other goods.  It includes air fares.  It includes the cost of propane for your hot water and cooking.

#harddoseofreality   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i posted warnings about this a couple of weeks ago. i recall around october the presidente was quoted that gas prices would not rise !!

the gas price did not fall when world oil prices fell some three years ago, infact they went up here !

as you say these hikes will affect many things, and thats without the trump effect.

2017 is not going to be good for mexico.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...