Chapala.com Webboard

How do you light your gas oven?

J.Miller

We have a new Koblenz stove from Tio Sams.  We have had it about six weeks and are stymied about how long and how many tries it takes to light the oven.  We hold the electronic start oven button in and count to 30, or 40 or 65 this morning without success.  I have called the guy whom we bought it from and he tells us that we should stop in and find out how to light it.  That would be good if we didn't have to drive an hour to do so (an hour and a half with increased traffic).  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, did you ever figure out how to light the oven without a hassle?  I have to put a chicken in to cook in a couple of hours; I had a practice run earlier and gave up but there has to be a way.

I have to turn my oven knob ALL THE WAY to the maximum and hold it down until I see the flames start. Then hold another 5-6 seconds and it stays lit. It took me a while to "get it" right. If you let go as soon as you see the flame, it won't stay lit. Just me experience, so hope it helps.

The pipes get bunged up over time, but it sounds like there is a problem with yours. You turn the oven knob to high, then press the electric start, and it takes a second or two. When clogged or disconnected, using a long lighter over the hole in the oven should work. Mine has not been used since last year, and yesterday I discovered my quick-start wasn't doing anything. I needed to use a lighter.

The next thing to do is remove the bottom plate from the oven and make sure the gas tube is properly fitted over the central flame burner unit; perhaps the delivery dislodged it.

With a new stove installation, the lines are still full of air. It will take many attempts before you actually get propane to the oven burner, sufficient for ignition. Just keep trying, and trying, and trying, until you hear a WHUMP of ignition, which will probably make you jump back, releasing the button and causing it to go out. From that point onward, it should light quite easily, as the gas has arrived where it needs to be.  Just remember that you have to hold the knob IN until the thermocouple gets hot enough to keep the burner burning; usually 5-10 seconds after ignition.

10 hours ago, Sea said:

My oven has a weird requirement. You have to open the oven door a few inches when lighting. That must unlock something. No idea actually, but it's in the instructions and won't light without it.

Interesting. To prevent an accidental buildup of gas, perhaps.

Just a thought, not all electronic starters are hooked up to the Oven. Ours must have a manual BBQ lighter applied to the down draft opening at the base of the open oven door as others have described. If the gas manifold is actually hooked up properly it should light every time? If all else fails follow the advice above!!!

After having a problem with our old stove which more or less exploded on me several days ago I have finally worked out how our new one (installed yesterday) works. After a few tries the oven is now ready for the prime rib roast and heating up nicely.

Is your Koblenz stove a German one? I have a Wolf stove which I think is German. To light the oven you turn the dial to the desired temperature and turn the oven knob to on and it lights electronically. None of my top burners will light electronically though.

I did finally get the oven lit using a suggestion to ignite the pilot and then turn the dial to the highest setting.  I had to hold it here for nearly a minute but it did finally stay lit.  considering the oven is only just past the six week old mark, it seems like a ridiculous exercise in frustration just to light the oven.  The pilot lights immediately when you push the nob in and turn it to the ignition site; it is getting the burner to light and stay lit that requires the most patience.  All six of the top burners light immediately and function as you would expect; it is just the oven; it is probably faster to rub sticks together in a fire pit in the back yard. 

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.

I don't think you should be experiencing this "ridiculous exercise in frustration" in a new stove. Tio Sam's will be responsive to your frustration and send their excellent repair man to your rescue. Something's not right.

I bought a Frigidaire 20" stove from them and have been thoroughly delighted using it. After 20 years of dealing with singed eyebrows when lighting various Mexican ovens manually, I now have electronic ignition in the oven that also has an accurate thermostat. What an absolute delight...and I know that Tio Sam's will be there for me if anything goes wrong.

Suerte!

OR..... you could do what I've done with prior and present "electronic ignition" stoves. Pull the plug and light burners and oven manually.  Better control for very low flame on stovetop burners, and no wondering if gas is building up in the oven.

In mine, I have to manually move the "bottom" in the oven forward (nearly out), and reach in with lighter to close to where the burner is, and then turn the temp control know and light the lighter at the same. time. Slide bottom piece back into place. Easy peasy.

Having had the same experiences with all of the above I must add that I've noticed if the gas tank is getting low it's almost impossible to light the oven.  There's also a difference in how hot the temperature will get if the gas tank is low.  The top burners will continue to work just fine even with a low gas tank - but not the oven.

17 hours ago, puro guero said:

When all else fails, read the user manual. Specifically says

"Keep the knob pressed in for approximately 40 seconds"

http://www.koblenz.com.mx/manuals/estufas.pdf

That's real handy if you are real good with Spanish. The OP was asking for guidance.

Archived