Chapala.com Webboard

Uber Taxi

aprice1966

Uber to and from the airport are two very different prices. For the airport, I would recommend a local driver Alex Peterson, who seems to have figured out the airport and its many moods. He lives in Ixtlahuacan - so its convenient for him and for you - will look up his phone number later - need coffee now.

Black V.I.P. cars at the airport. Could be trouble. A Cardinal of Jalisco and his driver was murdered at the airport in his White Crown Victoria, with a big gold cross on his chest - the baddies claim they thought he was rival cartel.:blink:

Come-on that was many,many years ago long before Uber was even envisioned. Plus the shooters were actually after another drug lord and the Cardinal was either a mistaken victim or in the line of fire..

We use Uber everywhere in the world including Mexico. Have done so for years and have never had a bad or even mildly unpleasant experience..they are generally outstanding. 

Our recent trip from GDL to west Ajijic was 174 pesos. Taxi.was quoted at 500 pesos. It was easy to get picked up  - just crossed the road from the terminal and waited a few minutes outside the OXXO. 

I'm sure the OP knows Uber is not big black cars so highly unlikely to.suffer the fate of the cardinal, an incident that happened many years ago.

However you have not been able to get an Uber in the lakeside area. Ive just looked at the app and it appears that now, Uber SUV may  be operating here although as it is very early morning no cars are available. Will have to check later as this would be great!

• 4 months later...

I tried to get Uber when I arrived two days ago, and the app wavered between giving me a fare and telling me it wasn't available. When I found an Uber driver there at the airport (evidently there is an area where they hang out), the driver I finally used for $350 told me that the Uber franchise actually only operated within the city of Guadalajara, if I wanted to pay through the app, that it would not calculate to go to the Lake. 

Based on how screwy my app was being, I believed him. He showed me his Uber phone app and showed me how it would not calculate the drive to the Lake, so I just took his car and paid in cash. Weird. 

On 5/25/2017 at 9:33 AM, Honorandfaith said:

I tried to get Uber when I arrived two days ago, and the app wavered between giving me a fare and telling me it wasn't available. When I found an Uber driver there at the airport (evidently there is an area where they hang out), the driver I finally used for $350 told me that the Uber franchise actually only operated within the city of Guadalajara, if I wanted to pay through the app, that it would not calculate to go to the Lake. 

Based on how screwy my app was being, I believed him. He showed me his Uber phone app and showed me how it would not calculate the drive to the Lake, so I just took his car and paid in cash. Weird. 

I think you got a dishonest Uber driver. The vast majority of Uber drivers in GDL are working for someone who actually owns the car. My nephew has 2. Your driver cheated you, Uber, and probably his boss when he took cash.  The fare from the airport to the lake is well under $200 pesos

When I first used Uber in Miami  before our cruise I thought I paid the driver.  Wrong.  Uber will debit the amount owed from your bank account.

No money changes hands by yourself and the driver.  If you do pay money to the driver-that is his tip!!  You are quoted a price and if you accept it is debited to your account!

I also found out that they-the Uber app- will tell you how many minutes it will take the driver to get to your address that you are calling from.

If you miss the ride because you were late getting outside the driver can leave and you are still charged for the ride!!

We found out this the hard way when we were in Paris!! LOL!

maw

Many thanks, Mostlylost. I sort of suspected that, but my app wavered between giving me the fare from GDL to Ajijic, about $242, and telling me no fare was available, and did I want to book it without knowing the fare in advance. It wavered back and forth three times. I was hot, tired, and just took what I could get at that point. I will research this further, and thanks for your input. 

• 4 months later...

Has anyone had a problem downloading the Uber app in mexico? I have Uber on my mobile phone in the US,  but my U.S. phone won't work in Mexico, so I'll need to buy a phone in Ajijic. My concern is that I might not be able to download Uber again since I already have an account. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks

Archived