Chapala.com Webboard

Agua Escondida

GeorgiaPeach

• 10 months later...

I'd also like to know info about living in Agua Escondida.  We're looking at buying a lot and building a custom home. We've looked at different areas Lakeside and in the Ixtlahuacan area and Agua Escondida could be an option. We've hit roadblock after roadblock on finding a good lot at a decent price. It needs to be at least 700 m2. 

~ thanks 

56 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Yeah, looked it up.  A lot of it is pretty vertical but there are some stunning views in there.

Many years ago I visited a friend living there and do not recall any stunning  views!! The franc did and does have problems with many owners  not paying dues. Another one of the early  development to big   to fail..but did

Check with office to see if your particular purchase has a "lien" for unpaid franc  fees. Also check its source of water ete

29 minutes ago, bmh said:

When I checked , some of the homes get their aljibe water from the trucks,.. there is a reason it is called Agua Escondida. I heard there was a problem when I looked but who knows it may have been resolved.

I would  suggest  that folks  buying truck  water are not paying  their franc fees

Someone mentioned to me that city water is either not available there or there is some well water which may run out.  The name of the place translates to Hidden Water, so this made me nervous.

I agree that finding a lot that size at a decent price is difficult.  We have been looking as well.  We did find some lots at a good price per square meter, but they were too large and the sellers would not subdivide.

25 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I agree that finding a lot that size at a decent price is difficult.  We have been looking as well.  We did find some lots at a good price per square meter, but they were too large and the sellers would not subdivide.

Well we could split a lot Zeb ;) 

33 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

On the south end of it there are some view lots and houses going up the hill out of Ixtlahuacan.  I looked at one.  Very scenic but way too steep.

Don't forget the ability here to terrace walls, haul material and create usable, level space at reasonable costs. Our lot in Guanajuato City Centro taught me that lesson. When I was discussing buying it with an architect, I said it looks very steep. He laughed and told me it was plano for this city. 

You might end up with incredible views as well as a large piece of usable property. The cost of dirt work and excavation is inexpensive and you'd probably have the benefit of machinery, all ours is pick and shovel on the upper portion of the lot. 

19 hours ago, eagles100 said:

I'd also like to know info about living in Agua Escondida.  We're looking at buying a lot and building a custom home. We've looked at different areas Lakeside and in the Ixtlahuacan area and Agua Escondida could be an option. We've hit roadblock after roadblock on finding a good lot at a decent price. It needs to be at least 700 m2. 

~ thanks 

Sent you a PM worth reading.  Well, I tried, but it says you cannot receive messages.?????

Call 766-3580 for valuable info.

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Looking for a 1 acre lot in that area or Ixtlahuacan as well.  Nothing fancy but needs to have access to power and water including being able to drill a reliable well.  On some sort of road not too far off the main drag.

sent you a valuable PM

The infrastructure is not good at the higher elevations of Aqua Escondida - we spent almost 7 months investigating the Fracc. We love it and wanted so much to buy a house that was on the top most section of the mountain. The problem was that we needed to sell our existing home first, needless to say we did not sell and got very tired of BS so took it of the market. This house we wanted had been on the market for over 3 years and has just recently sold. I am still heartbroken over it. Anyway, after speaking with some that live there we found that the water delivery is iffy at most and you would need to have truck delivery, that did not bother us. The electrical is fragile - low winds and rain cause total outages or brown outs depending on your location in the fracc. which could last for days. One resident during the last rainy season lost power for 7 out of 9 days. Solar, you would need a battery back-up which is very expensive here. You would definitely need a generator. The views from the top of the moutain are great - the lower elevations not much to speak of.  We spoke to Telmex and were told that their infrastructure in the Fracc. is not good and needs plenty of work to bring it up to speed. There is no trash pick-up and you would have to drive it down to the front entrance. There is limited maintenance and the roads are not that great.  It is very quiet there, which is what we like. We like the rural feel. We have lived at lakeside for over 10 years and have found that many who move here would not be happy in a rural setting and want to be within  walking distance, which is not Aqua Escondida. The building lots are cheaper whether at the bottom of the fracc. or on the mountain top, but you would need to be able to adjust if you want a more gringo population because this is not. There are flat lots at the top and there are sloped ones for sale. Many of the vacant lots are just that, vacant. From what we know the original builder of the fracc or a partner took the money and left which is a shame because it could be a really beautiful fracc. if maintained. Every time we drive by AE I can look up and see the house that we wanted so much. The views were magnificent. We also looked at a lot at the top that was listed for roughly 10,000usd. with a great view also, but, there were 2 or 3 other lots directly in front of it, vacant with no sales signs, so who knows what could  happen in the future. Also, please know that some of the homes are for weekenders from Guad. and can be a bit loud when they have parties. 

Archived