Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas gift for Garbage Collectors

gary0131

Write this note in Spanish on a large piece of paper and tape it to your garbage.

BASUREROS. TENGO SU SOBRE. FAVOR DE TOCAR EL TIMBRE

Plan to be home around their normal delivery time so they can ring your bell (timbre) and you can give them your envelope (sobre).  Feliz Navidad!

What I did the other day, rather than wait at my door for who knows how long, was to look up and down the street. I spotted the truck a couple of blocks away and it wasn't headed my way, it was about to make a turn.  So I got in the car, saw the block they were on, and drove over to the truck. Got out, went to the driver,  and handed up an envelope with cash in it. Smiles and greetings. Feliz navidad.

I realize I'm in a flat neighborhood where you can peer for long distances. That helped.

Lexy

Just a heads up (too late for me). I put my green trash out yesterday (Thursday, my normal day) just after the regular trash collectors passed. I attached a note to "RING THE BELL" Later when I went out, my green trash was gone but no one rang. Humm, stolen trash?? Later a man came to the door with my note and asked if I had more trash? I asked why he didn't ring when he came by earlier. And he said a car was behind them and they had to keep moving. I asked where was the truck and he said "down the street". So I gave him the envelope I had prepared. (Big DUMB  me). Today, Friday the real green trash collectors came by and rang. I scrambled to get my donation ready. Next year I will wait to see the green trash men on their truck.... 

No tip from me. I pay Jocotepec and my fraccionamiento for garbage pickup but the pickup is very poor. I or my gardener often have to take it elsewhere ourselves.

JUST heard my guys going by now. They all saluted me after I passed the envelope. Our guys work damn hard at a truly thankless job. I was hired once as a garbage collector when I was in college: had to be there at 5:30 am; late one time got you fired. Crappy, smelly, awful, demeaning work for a white kid from the 'burbs.

I was told by our local garbage collector in NW WA state that because the job had such a bad reputation that the only way the county was able to get garbage collectors was to pay them very high wages, higher than union construction workers.  I presume, but do not know that he was telling the truth. I have no idea what their wages are here along the shores of Lake Chapala

I live at the top of a steep street in Ajijic, and have never had a garbage truck up on my street. Those of us who live on this upper street have to have our workers carry our garbage one block lower and drop the sacks off at a specified corner, which they do at the end of their shifts as they head home.  Therefore we have never had any of the drivers drop envelopes off at the houses on our street hoping for a Christmas present.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I was told by our local garbage collector in NW WA state that because the job had such a bad reputation that the only way the county was able to get garbage collectors was to pay them very high wages, higher than union construction workers.  I presume, but do not know that he was telling the truth. I have no idea what their wages are here along the shores of Lake Chapala

I live at the top of a steep street in Ajijic, and have never had a garbage truck up on my street. Those of us who live on this upper street have to have our workers carry our garbage one block lower and drop the sacks off at a specified corner, which they do at the end of their shifts as they head home.  Therefore we have never had any of the drivers drop envelopes off at the houses on our street hoping for a Christmas present.

Peter ... REALLY?  Only a mountain goat or a monster truck with all-wheel drive could get up to your house! Have you taken a serious look at the garbage trucks around here? :D   Hope you give your staff person a little extra for that trash hauling..... even tho' it IS on his "way home".....

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

JUST heard my guys going by now. They all saluted me after I passed the envelope. Our guys work damn hard at a truly thankless job. I was hired once as a garbage collector when I was in college: had to be there at 5:30 am; late one time got you fired. Crappy, smelly, awful, demeaning work for a white kid from the 'burbs.

Agree. We get 6-day a week pick-up`in San Antonio, and yesterday and today they came AFTER 7:30 AND 6:30 pm respectively..... so they either had a truck malfunction or else a serious overload of trash, as they went down our cross-street at 8.30 a.m. both days.  Darn long day and you can be sure the pay is not the best. But they always have a ready smile and a buenos días (or tardes) for me, and NEVER complain.

You are right Natasha, should the truck try to  come up the last block of Juarez. But just to the East is Colon, which is two way at the last street up. Yes it is true it would be a little difficult for them to come up, but they offered to do it for an extra fee several years ago.

Archived