Chapala.com Webboard

Carrying ID on your person

jrod

The Berlin Christmas market massacre, in which a family member was critically injured and his partner killed, has me thinking: I regularly tool around with my driver license and a notarized, hologramed copy of my visa but don't carry my passport or anything in case of an emergency such as this. I've never anticipated how first responders would contact family NOB if something happened to my spouse in the same catastrophe.

Not sure what exactly we will do, but I'm thinking we'll now carry a wallet card with emergency contact info on it. And check with the Embassy to be sure my contact info is up to date. I have the "Emergency" button on my phone and have just added citizenship info and passport next to my name since this is accessible if my phone is locked.

Are any of you more forward-thinking than I and have a plan and system that you might recommend?

I can't tell you how many times LCS gets a phone call from neighbors, friends, police, doctors, etc
 asking if we have information in the Post Life documents. Sometimes yes, sometimes no...
But all of the records are computerized, only two people at LCS have access to entering or editing
 the information.  However it is in Drop Box and both Norm at Cruz Roja and Vince at the American Legion can check information on line
 in case of need.

Initial forms and also update forms are available from LCS or the Legion. LCS Membership is not required. 50 pesos when you return the completed form
 and updates are no charge.

In each one of the cars we have a local  contact number in case we hare both in an accident as well.. We probably should have the same info in our wallet, thanks for the reminder and sorry to hear you know people involved in that nightmare.  Unfortunately for Europe more are coming.. IThe Russians with their actions in Syria are also prime targets..I am afraid there is no escape..

I was told that Cruz Roja doesn't look in your wallet.  Perhaps if you needed to go to the hospital, they would look.  I have my blood type (rare) on my Red Cross donor card as well as contact info.  Also in my glove box in the car.  Where do emergency or hospital people look to find info on their patients?

I have a small thumb drive that is on my keychain

In that drive I have:

Scanned everything that I have in my wallet.  INAPAM Card, drivers license, permanente card etc

Passport, birth certificate, lease, car insurance, Seguro Popular etc

All my contacts, names, address, phone number, emails

Who to contact in the US in case of problems

Medical records for the past 10 years with doctors and contacts, bloodwork etc

A list of all my financial cards, bank accounts, passwords etc (encrypted)

LCS paperwork

You can always find a computer to stick it into 

I also keep a backup of all that at home on another thumbdrive.

If I have to leave in a hurry for some reason, I don't need to lug around a computer, just the drive.  For about $5 you can buy an adapter and you can download an app for a Smartphone to read the drive.  

3 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

I have a small thumb drive that is on my keychain

In that drive I have:

Scanned everything that I have in my wallet.  INAPAM Card, drivers license, permanente card etc

Passport, birth certificate, lease, car insurance, Seguro Popular etc

All my contacts, names, address, phone number, emails

Who to contact in the US in case of problems

Medical records for the past 10 years with doctors and contacts, bloodwork etc

A list of all my financial cards, bank accounts, passwords etc (encrypted)

LCS paperwork

You can always find a computer to stick it into 

I also keep a backup of all that at home on another thumbdrive.

If I have to leave in a hurry for some reason, I don't need to lug around a computer, just the drive.  For about $5 you can buy an adapter and you can download an app for a Smartphone to read the drive.  

I would worry about Identity theft if I had all that info available to anyone on a thumb drive. 

1 minute ago, luvsdawgs said:

I would worry about Identity theft if I had all that info available to anyone on a thumb drive. 

I build folders and just encrypt what I want hidden.  It stays on my key ring and is rarely out of my sight.

I'm more worried about someone stealing my smart phone than my thumb drive.  I don't keep any information on my phone or use it for any financial stuff at all.      

3 hours ago, bmh said:

In each one of the cars we have a local  contact number in case we hare both in an accident as well.. We probably should have the same info in our wallet, thanks for the reminder and sorry to hear you know people involved in that nightmare.  Unfortunately for Europe more are coming.. IThe Russians with their actions in Syria are also prime targets..I am afraid there is no escape..

Sadly, appears the US has opened itself for those attacks, too. Fortunately, no one cares about Mexico.

If US get a passport card and carry it.  Its only good for land travel and not air travel but its enough to ID you and get the consulate involved.  Available from A.Legion or LCS when consulate comes down.  Why carry your passport when you don't have to? You still have your passport if it gets stolen.

Archived