Chapala.com Webboard

Cistern replace - any recommendations on who?

mhopkins2

I was told my cistern needed replacement due to leaks.  Has anyone had this done who would recommend the company that did the work?

Just curious...replaced? or relined?

Usually the leaks are properly patched and then the whole cistern is reparged. Another friend had a rubber bladder installed to stop leaks. Either option works but actually replacing it will be expensive and really messy. Of course, it may be split in two for all I know. Just throwin' out ideas. Suerte.

1 minute ago, sparks said:

Plastic or cement ?

Now that was a damn good question Sparks! I just assumed it was cement because if you use a plastic one under the ground, then you have to build the cement box anyway to stop it from being crushed by the hydrostatic pressure in the ground water should the plastic cistern not be kept full.

20 minutes ago, sparks said:

They built a round block wall around my plastic one

With no bottom? In the ground?

When we were building in San Pancho, the two varieties ended up being priced out the same by the time we built the box too...and it had to be underground for us so it was kind of a no brainer. I sure do miss the nice clean water that the town provided us with though. I'm going to be getting the aljibe cleaned out soon (gross in only six months). It is strictly used for emergency water and I'm toying with the idea of ordering a pipa of water but still popping in two chlorine tabs every month. Thoughts?

And why are there no old fashioned hand pumps here when the need for the emergency water usually coincides with an electricity outage?

Gravity is your friend when the power fails.  That is why you see a lot of "tinacos" mounted up on the roof.    When the water from the town is off or the power fails, you can still get some water - at least until the tinaco runs dry.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

With no bottom? In the ground?

When we were building in San Pancho, the two varieties ended up being priced out the same by the time we built the box too...and it had to be underground for us so it was kind of a no brainer. I sure do miss the nice clean water that the town provided us with though. I'm going to be getting the aljibe cleaned out soon (gross in only six months). It is strictly used for emergency water and I'm toying with the idea of ordering a pipa of water but still popping in two chlorine tabs every month. Thoughts?

And why are there no old fashioned hand pumps here when the need for the emergency water usually coincides with an electricity outage?

If the town water is cleaner than the water in your aljibe you could put a bypass in (if the town water has enough pressure) so that the town water fills your tinaco as well as your aljibe. Then you may not have to pump water to your tinaco from the aljibe. That is what I have.

Thanks but, lakeside, I have both a tinaco and an aljibe. Town water (not great) fills both and they both have shut off floats. The aljibe water just sits there waiting for the need to pump it up to the tinaco which has never been necessary. The pressure from the town water goes right up to the tinaco and I'm happy with that since pumps of any kind make your electrical meter spin at the speed of light. My last electrical bill was 389 pesos :)

I truly believe in Murphy's Law which is why I've been looking at hand pumps on Amazon. If I've got one, there'll never be a need for it.

And the question remains...is a pipa of water of any better quality than the town pumped water in Riberas?

For the people who have crappy city water put a cheap small filter before the tanks.  It allows the expensive filters to last twice as long or if no other filters it stops the buildup in the tanks. I just cleaned my big 3k gallon underground old style brick tank (use to be orchard) and found six inches of mud rocks tools glasses and such at bottom near the inlet valve to pump water to roof tanks.

No wonder all my tanks were dirty and unsafe. Learned by lesson. A small filter stops this and keeps the small rocks out of the one way valves and such.  

Archived