Chapala.com Webboard

1 hour ago, poptarte_22@yahoo.com said:

But the point is that at least the cashiers and other workers anywhere are getting SOME payment...the baggers are not!!  Good grief..have a little just a little bit of compassion and generosity.  This is Mexico...not all things are fair or right...we can only do what we KNOW to be right and good and do our best to help.  If you don't that's your choice...but not reprimand or shame those who CHOOSE to do the more generous thing! 

WE who have so much really must share and remember those who do not.....    Or not...but drop the shaming remarks and attitude to those  who do.

Pappysmarket...you are comparing apples to oranges...regarding men who work hard for less, etc etc...this is about people not getting any pay by the exploitive  Walmart...not about how hard they work or how old they are!!!   

Think you missed my whole point. What their husbands and sons make is not relevant to me in any way, shape or form. I tip for good service and a smile from a fellow human being. My OMG was my reaction to the person who somehow believes that what others make should be considered in my tipping formula. Remember the worker who came last and still got the same wage. I rarely tip anyone less than the peso equivalent of $1 US. Well almost as the dollar is a little above 20 right now.

Pappy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HarryB said:

Where did you get the 10 - 12 pesos an hour from? Several years ago I was told Walmart employees started at 50 pesos per hour? The baggers can probably match that when busy?

At 73 pesos in Mexico for the daily minimum wage, I highly doubt that WalMart --the most skinflint company I know of-- is paying 50p/hr.

2013: http://upsidedownworld.org/archives/mexico/mexico-live-to-work-for-119-an-hour/ (http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/archivo/vivir-para-trabajar-por-14-67-pesos-la-hora.html)

• Walmart

When you go to seek employment as cashier at Walmart the offer is the following: you receive $1.19 per hour in a 7-hour day (with an hour for lunch included), equivalent to a salary of $165 per month; or you can work a 9-hour day (with a meal included) and be paid $276 per month.

In both cases, the retail company gives employees a monthly grocery voucher and pays the benefits required by law. This year, the chain, the largest employer in the country, plans to generate around 15,000 positions, most associated with the opening of new stores.

For Jose Luis de la Cruz, director of the Center for Research in Economics and Business of the Tecnológico of Monterrey, this type of job does not generate well-being in the country, regardless of the fact that thousands of these jobs are generated; however he says it is not exploitation or abuse because the company obeys the law.

Further, 2008: http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/archivo/vivir-para-trabajar-por-14-67-pesos-la-hora.html

Mexico's Supreme Court ruled that the country's top retailer, Wal-Mart de Mexico, violated the constitution by paying workers in part with vouchers only redeemable in the chain's outlets, the court said on Friday.

According to this link:

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/amp.elfinanciero.com.mx/archivo/vivir-para-trabajar-por-14-67-pesos-la-hora.html?client=ms-android-samsung

two years ago they paid about 15 pesos per hour. So yes, the baggers could earn easily more then that if everyone would give 10 pesos. Everyone should give what they want but if someone doesn't want to give a tip that should be respected too as I saw some time ago a message of someone who criticised those who didn't give any tip.

If you google for cerillo (that's what baggers are called) they earn about 150-400 pesos of tips per working day of up to 4 hours although it depends much of the location of the store. So that is up to 35-100 pesos per hour which is way more then the cajeros per hour, but on the other hand they can only work up to 4 hours per day as bagger.

Mexico is a country that honors service and as such we should always support those serving us with compensation. translation TIP everyone who helps us! Where would we be without them?

We had a friend that worked in our Walmart in the produce department and he was paid $110p a day for heavy lifting of all the produce crates.

Their baggers suck also, I tip them anyway but I got these cool bags that attach to your cart so they don't have to use 1 hand to bag and they still don't do it right, they will stack all the heavy stuff on my donuts, really now. No Common sense!!!

1 hour ago, hensley said:

We had a friend that worked in our Walmart in the produce department and he was paid $110p a day for heavy lifting of all the produce crates.

Their baggers suck also, I tip them anyway but I got these cool bags that attach to your cart so they don't have to use 1 hand to bag and they still don't do it right, they will stack all the heavy stuff on my donuts, really now. No Common sense!!!

Agree 100℅. I always, always put those kinds of things on the belt last and then watch like a hawk. I don't pay until I see that things are done the way I want. Too bad the person behind me has to wait an extra 30 second. Then a smile and a nice tip follows.

2 hours ago, ficklepie said:

Those who don't give the baggers should most definitely not be respected. You are not giving a tip. You are providing them with their salary. Morally you are obliged to tip them.

I don't agree with that. Walmart should pay them a salary in that case, but they don't, so be mad towards walmart. If Walmart choose not to give them a salary I too should be able to choose to tip or not. I can do the bagging easily myself but if I do that I'll be considered even more rude so I don't so that. I do tip them however but only if I have coins in my pocket otherwise it's a sorry and thank you. As I pay 99% of all my stuff with card I don't always have change with me.

And what about all those people who earn less then the baggers which are more then you think? Or those people who has children to feed and work 8-10 hours a day and hardly earn more or even less than the baggers. Etc. Etc. Should they be obliged to tip too? You don't know the situation of each person. It is easy to say you should tip them if you earn dollars, or don't need to pay college etc, but those who earn hard worked pesos it is a completely other story. Often they are in no much better position then the baggers. So it is up to everyone himself to tip or not. 

Tipping is never mandatory. It's a cultural thing, and best to learn the culture before making blanket statements about anybody's income. I agree: complain about the employer not paying decent wages, but do not take it upon yourself to insist that we must make up the difference.

One thing that really burns my a** is a "mandatory gratuity" on a restaurant bill. I don't care how many people you are serving: that's your job, dammit. Why are two tables of six different than one table of 12?

5 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

By definition, tipping is optional.  Nice that Costco pays their people decently so no need for it and not expected.  Except in the parking lot.

Ten pesos is pretty rich IMHO.

I'm sorry, but if some people think that 10 pesos is too rich for them, then shame on you!  It's only 50 cents, for goodness sakes!  

We should be thankful that we have lived and worked in countries (such as Canada or the US) that allowed us to earn enough to enjoy living down here, in a beautiful climate, and not having to rely on welfare or food stamps.  Many of the locals don't have that option.  

Many of them are living with very little, but they don't complain.  If you feel that the service they provide is not worth a tip, then I totally agree.  But, if they perform a good service, why shouldn't they receive at least that much?

1 hour ago, NanaG said:

I'm sorry, but if some people think that 10 pesos is too rich for them, then shame on you!  It's only 50 cents, for goodness sakes!  

We should be thankful that we have lived and worked in countries (such as Canada or the US) that allowed us to earn enough to enjoy living down here, in a beautiful climate, and not having to rely on welfare or food stamps.  Many of the locals don't have that option.  

Many of them are living with very little, but they don't complain.  If you feel that the service they provide is not worth a tip, then I totally agree.  But, if they perform a good service, why shouldn't they receive at least that much?

It's maybe only 50 cents for you. But for me 10 pesos is 10 pesos as I earn my money in pesos. I've got nothing to do with dollars or euros. So for me 10 pesos is much to give as tip for filling a few bags. If you choose to give each time 10 pesos as tip, fine, but don't say others should pay that too because it is only 50 cents for you. It isn't that way, it is 10 pesos for that bagger for only 5 minutes work which is really much for any Mexican person or anyone who earns his money in pesos. That's nice for that bagger but don't expect everyone should/can/want to pay that.

I agree with ednet. I tip according to my own income and watch what the mexican tips for comparison. I also parcially work for pesos. So if i pass through with one item, no bag, i might give a peso. If a few items, 5. If i am buying a load of awkward heavy objects(rare), then this is a 10 peso deal. Once I gave a parking lot guy 20 pesos. He helped me get large objects into my truck. I think it is fine to tip high if that is your thing. But to shame others who tip less or don't believe in tipping at all is ridiculous. Very well off gringos down here sometimes lose touch with the fact that not every gringo has money to throw around. Some are just making ends meet. I try to avoid the place, but if I find myself there, I do make sure I have a little change for the bagger. I wouldn't dream of using my card, then completely stiffing the bagger. I always give something, depending on my order. But that is my value, and other people are entitled to operate out of their own values. 

21 hours ago, ednet94 said:

If you google for cerillo (that's what baggers are called) they earn about 150-400 pesos of tips per working day of up to 4 hours although it depends much of the location of the store. So that is up to 35-100 pesos per hour which is way more then the cajeros per hour, but on the other hand they can only work up to 4 hours per day as bagger.

And they don't get benefits like IMSS, aguinaldo or paid vacation.  I'm assuming cashiers and other employees do get those benefits.

4 hours ago, NanaG said:

If i "think" that 10 pesos is too rich for me then shame on me? How unbelievably judgemental. And you assume that any gringo living in Mexico has never had to use welfare or food stamps? I was a single mom on welfare in Canada for 15 years. Sometimes I had to use the food bank. Now I Iive in Mexico and earn PESOS. And if the 50 or more people who pass through a checkout line all give the bagger 10 pesos, the bagger is earning 2 and a half times what I earn for highly SKILLED LABOR.

Tip what you want, but don't presume to understand everyone else's financial situation.

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

By definition, tipping is optional.  Nice that Costco pays their people decently so no need for it and not expected.  Except in the parking lot.

Ten pesos is pretty rich IMHO.

But Costco doesn't bag your purchases, so who would you tip inside the store anyway?  Surely not the cashier.

the problem is not wal mart, is the local people that is not working properly, they work as robots...they do not do things carefully....and the manager is so busy that he has to trust the employees....in CDMX this kind of things do not happen....aaaaanyway...

23 minutes ago, doberwoman said:

the problem is not wal mart, is the local people that is not working properly, they work as robots...they do not do things carefully....and the manager is so busy that he has to trust the employees....in CDMX this kind of things do not happen....aaaaanyway...

I disagree. Managing employees is part of the manager's job. If employees are not working properly then the manager is responsible. If these kinds of things do not happen in other stores it is because the managers are doing their jobs.

58 minutes ago, Xena said:

I disagree. Managing employees is part of the manager's job. If employees are not working properly then the manager is responsible. If these kinds of things do not happen in other stores it is because the managers are doing their jobs.

That's because managers don't get paid enough to care either. 

Archived