Chapala.com Webboard

On 12/26/2016 at 7:28 AM, cedros said:

Mudgirl the Mexican who told you that was not knowledgeable of the correct meaning of the word. The word was in use before there were such a thing as Americans. 

It is not one lone Mexican who told me this. I have lived in Mexico for 15 years and been told by many Mexicans that when they use the word gringo, it refers to Americans. Of course, they can't tell just by looking at you whether you are American, Canadian, French, etc. and tend to assume you are American. But when I say I am Canadian, they tell me that I am not a gringa. Personally, I don't care one way or the other- at some point it might have been considered an insult, but isn't used derogatorily anymore.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/24/2016 at 7:28 AM, cedros said:

Of course a Canadian is a gringo. As is a Brit, a Frenchman, Austrailian, etc. I don't understand your message. Gringo comes from the Greek/Latin meaning foreigner-a person from a foreign country who usually speaks a foreign language. The word is used in many Spanish and some Portugese speaking countries in many parts of the world. Of course many Mexicans can't tell an American from a Canadian, Englishman, etc. so it makes no sense to say it only applies to Americans.

Gringo in Mexico does not come from Latin.  It was originally "green go" the green refering to the color of American soldiers uniforms in the war with the USA. It was became slang when refering to North Americans (USA) but as slang evolves gringo has evolved to mean any non latino foreigner by the vast majority of Mexicans. Many Mexicans today still use it as an ofensive word. 

1 minute ago, Mostlylost said:

Gringo in Mexico does not come from Latin.  It was originally "green go" the green refering to the color of American soldiers uniforms in the war with the USA. It was became slang when refering to North Americans (USA) but as slang evolves gringo has evolved to mean any non latino foreigner by the vast majority of Mexicans. Many Mexicans today still use it as an ofensive word. 

Then wouldn't they have said va verde?

I am European so I probably have some idea  how various nationality are viewed there.. No one think of Canada to start with..no one really cares one way or another about Canadians per say. Actually I know very few people who comment how nice a country is versus another..

The Russians are the bete noire in Europe now not the Americans, 

My husband is a American and I have travelled a lot with him in Europe and he never had any problems never had to stick a Maple Leaf on anything to get decent treatment.. Since we speak English when we are over there I often hear what people say about us and since my French is very good..I understand perfectly what is being said. 

Only a Canadian would notice if an American put a Maple leaf on their backpack. The EUropeans do not care. Just like some French guide saying , that the French are betrer treated than the AMericans in Mexico or Guatma, I have read that in some tour guide.. another figment of  i a fertile imagination.

Archived