Chapala.com Webboard

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, we aren't the primary customers of Walmart Mexico, more like the flea on the tail of the dog.  Far and away most of the customers even in this store are Mexican.

Secondly, my personal observation is that their stores here are cleaner and nicer and better quality than those in the U.S.  Particularly the meat and seafood departments.

Having said that, they do pay their help poorly just like the U.S.  And it shows in the quality of the work.

I get the feeling this store here is a bit of a stepchild.

I'm sorry that I didn't explain myself completely on this issue.  When I talk about tipping 10 pesos, that is because I have done a week's worth of shopping, and have many heavy items in my cart.  The women baggers are working hard, trying to keep up with everything being shoved toward them as the cashier is ringing it through.  They do a great job, I think.  And I'm sorry if I offended anyone by saying shame on you.  I assumed that since everyone who applies for a resident visa has to show a certain amount of income every month, that they could afford a 50 cent tip occasionally, if they feel that the service was worth it.

5 minutes ago, NanaG said:

I'm sorry that I didn't explain myself completely on this issue.  When I talk about tipping 10 pesos, that is because I have done a week's worth of shopping, and have many heavy items in my cart.  The women baggers are working hard, trying to keep up with everything being shoved toward them as the cashier is ringing it through.  They do a great job, I think.  And I'm sorry if I offended anyone by saying shame on you.  I assumed that since everyone who applies for a resident visa has to show a certain amount of income every month, that they could afford a 50 cent tip occasionally, if they feel that the service was worth it.

No, not everyone has to show a certain amount of income. There are different ways to get a visa. Income is just one of them. And even if that would be true, you can't assume everyone continue receiving that income they had abroad for the rest of their lives, in that case I would be a very rich man right now. It is hard to continue a job you had abroad when you live in Mexico for much time so eventually you will need to get a job in Mexico. If you also start building up a family in Mexico it becomes even harder because of the cost of the college and insurance. So 10 pesos is in those cases much money to give. Also as stated before by others, if everyone would tip 10 pesos they would earn more then I and many other Mexicans do for just filling a few bags.

Nana, you did not need to explain yourself. We should all tip what we want and can afford to. None of us needs to explain why we tip "so much" or so little (or even not at all). Also, I don't recall ever watching to see what someone else is tipping. Not my business.

We've been down this topic road before and it wasn't long ago. If you have problems and criticisms with Wal-mart, then maybe explore shopping elsewhere so you don't ruin and stress out your day. When I go in there I expect it to be "ghetto" in some way, so I just have a relatively neutral experience. I speak decent enough Spanish, so I always get the help I need if I need it. I never expect it though. Same in the states. It's nice if it happens, the norm is that it doesn't. By shopping there super infrequently, I can keep my personal political feelings at bay. Always looking to D/C the experience completely. 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:19 PM, MarkEliot said:

If you are a 

Canadian you are not a Gringo. 

Sorry. Canuck. Shop somewhere else. 

Lots of 

Canadians don't like 

American businesses. Go to Copels. They pay less

Of course a Canadian is a gringo. As is a Brit, a Frenchman, Austrailian, etc. I don't understand your message. Gringo comes from the Greek/Latin meaning foreigner-a person from a foreign country who usually speaks a foreign language. The word is used in many Spanish and some Portugese speaking countries in many parts of the world. Of course many Mexicans can't tell an American from a Canadian, Englishman, etc. so it makes no sense to say it only applies to Americans.

13 hours ago, MarkEliot said:

If you are a Canadian you are not a Gringo. Sorry. Canuck. Shop somewhere else. Lots of Canadians don't like American businesses. Go to Copels. They pay less

None of this makes sense to me, actually. To whom are you referring, first off. And Copel "pay less"?

Actually MarkEliot, altho unnecessarily snarky in his post, is correct about gringoes. Mexicans have told me that the term gringo refers specifically to Americans, rather than all foreigners.

And NanaG, I do appreciate your apology and explanation. It's not just a matter of tipping a bagger 10 pesos, it's that I find that everywhere one goes, as a foreigner, one is constantly hit up for tips, as if we just have endless quantities of money to burn. The guy who stands directing you out of the parking space, even though you've been driving for 50 years and know perfectly well how to drive in reverse, the guy who washes your already clean windshield at the Pemex without bothering to notice that your rear window is thick with dust and is the one that actually needs washing, the guys who dress as if they are from the Red Cross and hold out their cans, when in fact the $ just goes directly into their pockets, etc, etc.

When I had a shop in town, at least 5 people a day would come up my steps with some sad story about how their tio had cancer, their baby needed an operation, they needed bus fare to get back to their home town, etc, etc. I used to tell them that I was sorry about their situation, but that I have 3 children and 5 grandkids and that if I have extra money, it goes to my family (all of which is true). This always seemed to be something they could relate to and those specific people never asked me again. I do tip the baggers, just not 10 pesos, I do buy the occasional useless trinket simply because I appreciate that they are actually offering something instead of just begging, and so on.

Also, I think it is a mistake to assume that everyone who is bagging groceries at Walmart, Soriana, etc. is destitute and relies on tips to eat. In a country where there are no cushy pensions for seniors, I'm sure it helps, and many probably do need it, but I think some of them, and a lot of the kids, do it for the social aspect as well as the tips.

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Actually MarkEliot, altho unnecessarily snarky in his post, is correct about gringoes. Mexicans have told me that the term gringo refers specifically to Americans, rather than all foreigners.

And NanaG, I do appreciate your apology and explanation. It's not just a matter of tipping a bagger 10 pesos, it's that I find that everywhere one goes, as a foreigner, one is constantly hit up for tips, as if we just have endless quantities of money to burn. The guy who stands directing you out of the parking space, even though you've been driving for 50 years and know perfectly well how to drive in reverse, the guy who washes your already clean windshield at the Pemex without bothering to notice that your rear window is thick with dust and is the one that actually needs washing, the guys who dress as if they are from the Red Cross and hold out their cans, when in fact the $ just goes directly into their pockets, etc, etc.

When I had a shop in town, at least 5 people a day would come up my steps with some sad story about how their tio had cancer, their baby needed an operation, they needed bus fare to get back to their home town, etc, etc. I used to tell them that I was sorry about their situation, but that I have 3 children and 5 grandkids and that if I have extra money, it goes to my family (all of which is true). This always seemed to be something they could relate to and those specific people never asked me again. I do tip the baggers, just not 10 pesos, I do buy the occasional useless trinket simply because I appreciate that they are actually offering something instead of just begging, and so on.

Also, I think it is a mistake to assume that everyone who is bagging groceries at Walmart, Soriana, etc. is destitute and relies on tips to eat. In a country where there are no cushy pensions for seniors, I'm sure it helps, and many probably do need it, but I think some of them, and a lot of the kids, do it for the social aspect as well as the tips.

Mudgirl the Mexican who told you that was not knowledgeable of the correct meaning of the word. The word was in use before there were such a thing as Americans. 

9 hours ago, cedros said:

Mudgirl the Mexican who told you that was not knowledgeable of the correct meaning of the word. The word was in use before there were such a thing as Americans. 

lol regardless of the ''correct'' meaning of the word, it has come to mean 'American' at this local.  I have been told repeatedly that I am not a Gringa, as I am not American ....   Before we refer to Mexicans as ''not knowledgeable'' it may be to our benefit to be aware of local customs and vernacular.

1 hour ago, Jeri said:

lol regardless of the ''correct'' meaning of the word, it has come to mean 'American' at this local.  I have been told repeatedly that I am not a Gringa, as I am not American ....   Before we refer to Mexicans as ''not knowledgeable'' it may be to our benefit to be aware of local customs and vernacular.

I disagree. Local customs are just that-local and they shouldn't last long if they don't mean much or if there is a problem with them. It doesn't hurt to educate others a bit. No where did I say that Mexicans were not knowledgeable. I said that Mexican was not knowledgeable. That is obviously the case.

1 hour ago, Jeri said:

I've been told the same thing by Mexicans.  And Gringolandia is the US, not Canada.

If you speak good Mexican Spanish you are not a gringo. If not, you are a gringo.

Remember, if you paint houses for locals and volunteer in an orphanage..........you may be a gringo!

What does Gringo mean

8 11 2006

The term “Gringo” is used in Mexico to refer to Americans. Depending upon it’s use (and user) it may or may not be an insult.

My experience with the term in Mexico is that it is a convenient way to refer to Americans, much shorter that “Americano” or “Norte Americano”. Most of the time it’s use is not offensive or meant as a derogatory or demeaning remark.

Many Mexicans will not use the term around Americans thinking that it might offend. Even after establishing friendships when the term “Gringo” is used, often someone will apologize.

Where did the term originate? There are several stories, urban myths and rumours:

From Wikipedia: “A recurring false etymology for the derivation of gringo states that it originated during the Mexican-American War of 1846-48. It has been claimed that Gringo comes from “green coat” and was used in reference to the American soldiers and the green color of their uniforms. Yet another story, from Mexico, holds that Mexicans with knowledge of the English language used to write “greens go home” on street walls referring to the color of the uniforms of the invading army; subsequently, it became a common habitual action for the rest of the population to yell “green go” whenever U.S. soldiers passed by. This is an example of an invented explanation, because gringo was used in Spanish long before the war and during the Mexican-American War. Additionally, the U.S. Army did not use green uniforms at the time, but blue ones.

Another legend maintains that one of two songs – either “Green Grow the Lilacs” or “Green Grow the Rushes, O” – was popular at the time and that Mexicans heard the invading U.S. troops singing “Green grow…” and contracted this into gringo.

From the Snopes Urban Legends Reference Pages: “Although the first recorded use of “gringo” in English dates from 1849 (when John Woodhouse Audubon, the son of the famous nature artist, wrote that “We were hooted and shouted at as we passed through, and called ‘Gringoes'”), the word was known in Spanish well before the Mexican-American War. According to Rawson, the Diccionario Castellano of 1787 noted that in Malaga “foreigners who have a certain type of accent which keeps them from speaking Spanish easily and naturally” were referred to as gringos, and the same term was used in Madrid, particularly for the Irish. 

The true origin of gringo is most likely that it came from griego, the Spanish word for “Greek.” In Spanish, as in English, something difficult or impossible to understand is referred to as being Greek: We say “It’s Greek to me,” just as in Spanish an incomprehensible person is said to hablar en griego (i.e., “speak in Greek”).”

According to the Real Academia Española (the ultimate reference for the Spanish language): 1. Adjective: Foreigner, especially one who speaks English, in general one who speaks a language other than Spanish. 2. Foreigner 3. In Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua an American 4. In Bolivia, Honduras, Nicaragua and Peru a blond fair skinned person 5. Unintelligible language

Yes all foreigners are called gringos when Mexicans speak to each other. I I know that I was told I was French by Mexicans because of my accent in Spanish so they call me la francesa but on the street people people who do not know me think of me as a gringa and I do not see the big deal about it.. Yes Canadians are looked at as gringos as well.. get used to it. Technically it may not be correct so tell that to the people on the street..

When I was at the MP one of the lawyer called some other department and said" I have a foreigner here that..". I corrected them  and told them" I am Mexican and my name is..". and you better believe they would have called me gringa if I had not been in the room.. no matter if we like it or not we are foreigners ie gringos.

There are as many definitions of the word gringo for Mexico as there are web pages with definitions.

bmh, "get used to it"??. Why would you assume this is a problem for any of us... just because we are discussing it? I am disappointed.

There seem to be a problem with some Canadians who do not want taken for Americans.. I have no problem with it one way or another ..You are disappointed about what.. I have heard many times Canadians  refusing to acknowledge they ar gringos just like the rest of the foreigner. They seem to think that only Americans are called gringos. Not addrssing the people who do not have a problem with it.

I am disappointed that you would presume that of me or anyone discussing it here. No one implied or stated that. But hey, historically Canadians abroad, especially in Europe, get much more respect than Americans, so this isn't a local thing. Americans putting Canadian flags on their backpacks, remember?

Archived