Chapala.com Webboard

Must buy new TV. Where to go locally?

Lexy

I have to get a new TV.  I'd like opinions and advice on the best place locally to buy one. (Can't drive to Guad.) It has to be a place that delivers. Do these stores also offer installation? It's been a while since my last one and I can't recall that part.

Lexy

I really don't know who delivers, but certainly Soriana often has better prices than WalMart, especially at this time of year. For example, WalMart has a 32" off-brand for $4,000, while Soriana's is $2,900. After looking for someone to move a piece of furniture, I discovered that the guys at the furniture shop beside Sunrise Rest. will make that kind of run for $200p.

I find that Muebles America and Copel in Chapala are way over-priced. There is an appliance store behind the Chapala Plaza (el Bodegon maybe?). And there is that Walmart off-shoot in Joco, Bodega Aurrera; both of them are budget-minded.

Bear in mind that less-costly TV's have fewer ports in the back for things like HDMI, cable, USB, audio, and optical connections to other devices.

We bought our 40“ Samsung Smart TV at Coppel in Chapala and they delivered it to our home and set it up for us at no extra charge.  Excellent service and a better model than was available at the big box stores, who do not have their own delivery service, etc.  That was three years ago, and that TV is now in our bedroom in Tucson. It connects wirelessly to the internet for Netflix, YouTube, etc.

Lexy, I would think you need to know if you want a smart tv.  If not then measure the size you want and ask Lakeside Express, Cynthia, to pick you up an LED tv X size.   She will find it at Walmart or Coatco.  Googling in advance, aka armchair shopping, will tell you all you need to know and you can give her the info and she'll deliver.

You can't compare prices of TV's.  You need to compare the speciations, the specs  vary greatly. First start with the screen size you want, I would advise a smart TV so you can have Netfix and so many other apps/programs installed on the TV.

Decide on the definition you want. If you watch a lot of sports it's nice to have a fast refresh rate. 120, 240 would be better.. Those are just a few specs to consider, there are many more.

My advise is to do your own research to determine what you want in a TV, don't listen to the so called experts in everything on this board.

HD is an acronym for High Definition by the way....

If a person doesn't know what HD means, then giving them advice about specifications, and poo-poohing others' is a bit of a joke, n'ect-ce pas?. And yes, compare prices of TVs, but always determine what inputs/outputs you need beforehand. Refresh rates mean nothing to most people, and are not noticeable the majority of the time anyway. Specs are just specs, and after many years in the industry I know all too well that price is king.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

If a person doesn't know what HD means, then giving them advice about specifications, and poo-poohing others' is a bit of a joke, n'ect-ce pas?. And yes, compare prices of TVs, but always determine what inputs/outputs you need beforehand. Refresh rates mean nothing to most people, and are not noticeable the majority of the time anyway. Specs are just specs, and after many years in the industry I know all too well that price is king.

Wasn't giving them advice on specs was just giving examples of some of the specs. I was saying do your own research, and decide what you want in a TV.. Also don't listen to the so called experts on here..... I gave HD as another example because some of the poster seem to have a problem with acronyms...

I said don't listen to the so called experts on here...do your own research because one of the so called experts on here told a neighbor of mine to put a memory card in their IPhone .. No need to mention names because we all know who that was...

34 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What size TV are you looking for Lexy?  

FYI Blueray DVD is 1080P.  So if you want to watch bluerays, definitely go 1080P.  Cable and broadcast is at best 720P.  There is some streaming at 1080P.

Shaw is 1080i FYI. Most people can't see the difference between 720P and 1080i to be honest. I wouldn't worry about it.  1080P is best especially in bigger size sets. Cheap sets sometimes don't have RCA jacks for audio out or some other feature is missing so beware as others have said for the cheap sets. I wouldn't buy smaller than 42 but thats my opinion and if anything has opinions its TV. Sometimes its not the resolution but the quality of the TV that makes a difference.  Newer Samsungs have excellent pictures but I like the LG OLED sets because I like to watch B and W  movies and you can see the shadows and shades of light better on an OLED set.  Only thing is its like plasma and likes a dark room so if I had lots of windows and such I would probably go with a new Samsung.  Its much brighter than an OLED set. See it all depends on what you are trying to watch and where.  Numbers are not the whole answer. Your own eyes (if in good shape) are every bit as good as an expensive instrument.

Good Luck!! Personally I would pay somebody to take you to Costco as it has a great selection and they do stand behind the products they sell.  I don't like arguing at WalMart.  Don't know about policies at Soriana.

Purchase has been made! Plus my own research, I very much appreciated all your remarks. Costco would have been my preference, but for better or worse I went to Coppel because they deliver free (but do not install, like RVGringo said, maybe because of the holiday rush). I bought a Samsung Smart because I want to try Netflix. At their holiday price, for a 32", I paid $4000 p. (Don't nobody tell me I paid too much. It's a done deal.)

Without TV for the past five days, we went to bed early with our Kindles. Worked perfectly.

Feliz Navidad

Lexy

50 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Are basic TVs, not Smart, still available? If so, where and how does one tell the difference?

Enjoy your new TV, Lexy. Hope I waited long enough before trying to hijack it!

Smart TVs and the basic TVs are all available. The info is on the tags alongside the TVs, at Walmart and at Copell, so I'm sure that's the case everywhere.

Now I have a mysteriously-not-working LG that you might want to haul away and fiddle with. But I don't recommend it.

Lexy

50 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Are basic TVs, not Smart, still available? If so, where and how does one tell the difference?

I bought a JVC 32" regular or basic HD 720 tv at Walmart a week ago for 3000 pesos to use as a computer monitor. If it's a smart tv it will say so on the packaging.

If you have a smart TV, and your computer should die, you can go online with your TV set.  It is a bit tedious without a keyboard, but can be done with the slower entry of commands available on the screen and accomplished with your remote.  Also, Netflix and YouTube and other stuff are available on a smart TV.  The TV just needs to be told the password for your computer modem from Telmex or Telecable, etc.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

If you have a smart TV, and your computer should die, you can go online with your TV set.  It is a bit tedious without a keyboard, but can be done with the slower entry of commands available on the screen and accomplished with your remote.  Also, Netflix and YouTube and other stuff are available on a smart TV.  The TV just needs to be told the password for your computer modem from Telmex or Telecable, etc.

For around $20 bucks you can buy a mini keyboard with built in mouse that you can use with the TV.  They work really well for navigating You Tube and Netflix.

I've never seen a USB keyboard for TVs. It is common for WiFi and Bluetooth, and there are keyboards that use USB dongles that plug into a USB slot on the TV, but I don't actually know if most TV USB slots will accept a direct USB cable from a keyboard. I guess my point would better have been expressed by suggesting that the specs be checked out to see.

Hmmm, research to be done.

Archived