Chapala.com Webboard

Arepas at Deli Cafè

Taaffe

Sorry, autocorrect. They are corn meal partties filled with different things. These are thinner and crispier than traditional arepas, but delicious. I had Gouda and spinach filling.

It is next to upscale resale shop in Riberas on the road.

4 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

Sorry, autocorrect. They are corn meal partties filled with different things. These are thinner and crispier than traditional arepas, but delicious. I had Gouda and spinach filling.

Ah, yes. Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Taaffe said:

Arepas remind me of Mexican gorditas.  I first got to know them when I lived in Colombia.  I am not a fan as they always seem not quite cooked all the way in the middle, kind of like a fat, kind of doughy tortilla, but I know Colombians and Venezuelas--as well as many other people--like them.  When I would tell any Colombian, "No me gustan las arepas" every single one would answer, " Ay, pero con queso . . ." as "arepas" are often cooked with white cheese in the middle.   Colombians also put white cheese in their hot chocolate and also drink "agua de panela," but "panela" in Colombia is not cheese like here in Mexico but rather crude brown sugar similar to "piloncillo" here, except there it is sold in bricks and here it is sold in a cone shape.  "Agua de panela" is simply hot water with the "panela" melted in it-- like a sugar tea.  

Sorry, kind of off topic, but "arepas" got me reminiscing (not always tondly) about Colombian food...and don't even get me started on "changua."

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I tried the arepas today.  They were deliciosisimos.  For anybody that knows about arepas, you will also know that each region has its on type.  Las arepas costenas are usually doughy and deepfried.  Her arepas are the andean variety from San Cristobal de Estado Tachira.  Her arepas are not thick and doughy but thin and crispy and so much better than any gordita in my opinion.  Try the arepas de perico which are arepas with scrabbled eggs with onion and tomatoe, they are the most common in Tachira. She said she can't list them on the menu because in Mexico perico is slang for cocaine and it confuses the Mexicans.  I once lived in San Cristobal for a long time and learned my Spanish there.  After meeting Duendy from Cafe Verde I learned that she is from the same village that my Venezuelan host mother is from and they are related.  What a small world it is!   Agua de panela is served all over Venezuela and it is just lemonade sweetened with blocks of panela which is just raw unrefined  dark brown sugar sold in blocks similar in taste to piloncillo cones.

My Venezuelan host mom would cook the lunch and my job to help would be to make the drink which could be any number tropical jugos freshly squeezed or blended or just make the agua panela.  We usually had a small mini picture or bowl and we placed the panela raw sugar block in it with water over night so it would dissolve into a dark syrup.  Then I would fill a large picture up with COLD water and sqeeze several large limes into it.  Then I would place a strainer over the picture and pour an amount of panela syrup into the picture straining out the honey bees who would often times get mummied in the panela blocks, pouring until the lemonade reached the right dark color and tasted sweet enough.  It looked like sweet iced tea but tasted like lemonade sweeted with dark brown sugar and a touch of molasses.  So refreshing!

Archived