Chapala.com Webboard

Change in Telmex free international calling

phxfunguy

I questioned charges on my phone bill today that were made for calls to the Caribbean.  They had been free in the past.  The lady at Telmex explained to me that now the free international dialing is limited to the "50 Paises para Paquete Conectes."  I have the $389 plan and I unfortunately neglected to inquire if there was any difference with the more expensive plans.  She printed out the list of free countries for me which include (in Spanish alphabetical order):

Germany, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, Slovakia, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Netherlands, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Cayman Islands, Italy, Jamaica, Luxembourg, Montenegro, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Liechtenstein, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Albania, Romania, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

She also reminded me that free calling is NOT included to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or the USVI.  Mainland US and Canada are still included.

The worldwide calling was nice while it lasted and at least the 50 countries now allowed are the more popular ones...well, maybe not Albania so much.

5 hours ago, Jistme said:

I made a call to Canada a few weeks ago, still got billed $400Can. I did question this at Telmex, but was told that since I had asked the operator to dial the number, and she did put me through, it was not a free call.

So be warned.

$400 CDN for a phone call??  or $400 pesos?  Was it a person-to-person call requiring operator assistance?

Any time you want "special" service such as operator assist, reverse charges, or other things, there is an extra charge. Has been that way all over the place forever....

also NOTE:  In my experience, if you call 1-800 or any other "free" US or Canada line, you WILL be charged LD rates.  That's when I revert to Skype!

Yes, it was a call to a bank in Canada, apparently the Mexican operator could not get me a collect call, therefore I had to ask for assistance in  reaching the bank. The bill of 400 pesos was added to our usual Telmex bill. Not a big deal, but not "Free" either!  

Apologies, I mistakingly wrote 400 Can, of course I meant pesos.

7 hours ago, Jistme said:

I didn't dial directly from Mexico, as the bank didn't list a collect call number to dial from Mexico.

Their collect numbers were accepted from the U.S. and other parts of Canada, alas not Mexico.

Maybe I should change banks, you think?

Doesn't the bank offer an 800 number?  You can dial those from here for free on Skype, MagicJack, Vonage, Ooma, etc. using your Internet connection.  I know that just dialing a NOB 800# (using the special codes to convert the number) costs about $40 per minute.

Yes, you can call to Canada free of charge with you $389 Telmex package. My problem arose because I needed to contact a specific number at a Canadian bank. In order to reach this number I HAD to go through a Mexican operator, as the bank would not accept collect calls from Mexico, so there was no other option but to get assistance from the operator.  Hope this clears up the confusion once and for all!

If you had the number, why did you want to call collect?  That is the puzzle. If you had just dialed the number (not an 800 number) it would have been free from your Telmex landline to the Canadian number. Or, was it that you also wanted information, to get the number?  A Mexican operator probably could not help you & what you really needed for operator assistance was an international operator, who can be reached at 090 and will place collect calls.

Jistme, what everyone else is trying to tell you is that you should have just called the direct number, not the 800 numbers, not a collect call needed.  Pretend you were sitting in Toronto making the call to the branch in Toronto (as an example).  You would just dial direct, not a collect call.  It is the same down with the new Telmex packages.  Dial 001, then the area code and the number.  That's it!  No charge to you.

Yes, you can call to Canada free of charge with you $389 Telmex package. My problem arose because I needed to contact a specific number at a Canadian bank. In order to reach this number I HAD to go through a Mexican operator, as the bank would not accept collect calls from Mexico, so there was no other option but to get assistance from the operator.  Hope this clears up the confusion once and for all!

Nana, please read my response...I said Specific  number , in other words this number is only accessible by direct dialling

when one is dialling from certain countries, Mexico is not one of those countries, therefore I had no option but to seek the assistance of the long-distance operator.

Believe me I make long-distance calls overseas frequently, I use dial direct to several countries that are on the list

of "Free" calls.

Hope this explanation will suffice to explain. Appreciate all the advice, but there seems to be a "failure to communicate"!

Adios.

1 hour ago, Jistme said:

Nana, please read my response...I said Specific  number , in other words this number is only accessible by direct dialling

when one is dialling from certain countries, Mexico is not one of those countries, therefore I had no option but to seek the assistance of the long-distance operator.

Believe me I make long-distance calls overseas frequently, I use dial direct to several countries that are on the list

of "Free" calls.

Hope this explanation will suffice to explain. Appreciate all the advice, but there seems to be a "failure to communicate"!

Adios.

Sorry, Jistme, but you're wrong.  The telecoms have become free for all calls to the US and Canada from Mexico.  You can direct-dial a number in Canada from Mexico for FREE!  I do it every week!  I call my family, my friends, my bank up in Canada.....no problem!

20 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I guess we'll all just have to assume Jistme did have some direct dial number that couldn't be dialed from Mexico, even though no one else has ever heard of such a thing. Strange.

I think that Jistme finally realized he/she was wrong.  Hopefully, they tried dialing a direct number, and had an 'A-HA' moment!

I don't think Jistme made any mistakes. As she carefully pointed out, she has made direct calls to other countries, direct dial. I have had problems in the past with certain numbers. The difficulty here is she would have to prove it to the nonbelievers by posting the number, and I don't think she needs to prove anything.

Archived