Chapala.com Webboard

recommendations for professionals to deal with immigration issues?

bdmowers

25 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Make sure you have all in order and have not left Mexico since 2014 or earlier. 

I went to the States for 3 days in 2015. Does that disqualify me?

If after January 9, 2015 yes unless you left by land and entered by land and upon entry didnt get a tourist visa.

1 hour ago, Intercasa said:

If after January 9, 2015 yes unless you left by land and entered by land and upon entry didnt get a tourist visa.

Whoops!  Is your sense that there will be future programs like this?

On 2016-12-15 at 6:39 PM, bdmowers said:

Does anyone have recommendations for professionals to help with immigration issues?  If you could say what they did for you and whether their efforts were successful I would appreciate it. Thanks.

If you are applying for permanente or temporal I would recommend going on the Las Vegas consulate website and checking out their checklist. Make sure you fulfill the requirements. Out of the other consulates they have been the most professional and kind. Despite being quite busy they seemed to be also more organized compared to a consulate in Canada where there were 3 people waiting and it took a good 4 hours to speak with them. Not only that but they were very rude as well. 

Note: the Las Vegas website doesn't have the form you need to fill in(unless they updated it) Just go to any other consulate website and it is the same one. Print that (double sided I think, it has instructions) and fill in all the info. Should be a very simple form. 

Then call the consulate to make an appointment. We were told we didn't need one and we just dropped in. 

Bring all the documents listed on the list from the Las Vegas website. Bank statements, house deeds if you have property here and anything else that you need to apply for what you are applying together with your pictures. They need to be the same size they specify on the consulate's website. A place in Chapala took ours and they were fine. 

Once you arrive to the consulate they call you in and you explain what you need, show the documents and passports. If you fullfil all the requirements they will ask you to wait for them to stamp the visa on your passport. They did ours the same day despite serving maybe 40 or more other ppl. Also they speak excellent English!!! 

Then once you come back to Mexico go to the INM office in Chapala and the lady at the desk spoke excellent English. She will then give you a printed list of what you need to bring for the next step.

The list was pretty simple. I think it asked for pictures, a new form to fill in which was also online but you needed it printed and copies of a bank receipt paying the fee of the application (she gives you the bank form too). You can do that at HSBC. I think Bancomer works too but they didn't like Multiva. If you don't have an account with HSBC bring cash, they won't accept any debit or credit cards for that. 

Once you have everything on the Chapala's list go back with all the documents and they will send you an email with something to login to check the status of your application. When it's ready you go back to take your fingerprints. For us the email was almost instant.

Personally I didn't find the process stressful because the people in Vegas and Chapala were very clear.  I also do not recommend using any outside help for this. I thought I needed to and tried to schedule something with an immigration lawyer in Guad but they were never available and after a while I said... I'll just bite the bullet and do it myself. Glad I did. ??

This is the 2nd time so maybe it is becoming a regular thing

13 hours ago, Crazydog said:

If you are applying for permanente or temporal

Thanks, dude, but my issue doesn`t involve these.

I'm a big do-it-yourself person, and did my own RT work permit visa last time living here. Now all has changed. I am hearing it is difficult to get these appts. in Laredo to initiate the process, and so I am willing to pay the lawyer whatever to get me all lined up for that. I do not want to get up there and find I have something amiss with no recourse. I know that not  many retirees are needing the work visa. However, this is my path to permanency, and I have a job requiring special certificates and skillls. It is unfortunate that you cannot go do this yourself, but to me, it is too complicated a matter now to handle alone. If anyone has handled this alone, I'd sure like to hear about it. I am talking specifically about the RT work permit. The employer is required to submit tax statements, licensure / legal aspect of the business, and a cover letter with special stamps and quoting your income. I gathered all this myself (in the past in GDL) and processed it at the Chapala INM, as my employer was very cooperative and knew what to do. But it is the appt. in laredo at the consulate that troubles me. I don't need to make that trip and then be turned away for any reason. Thus the lawyer setting it up seems reassuring. I am at the beginning of this, so we'll have to see. I am using Azucena.

Virgogirl if I understand you correctly, you do not start by going to MX consulate in Laredo for a work visa. May I suggest you read Mexican employer job offer here: http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html 

best

Sonia

Archived